Der Bauer | Kansas City Bier Company

Kansas City Bier Company
Missouri, United States
kcbier.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by zeff80 on 07-10-2015

4.84/5  rDev +25.4%

This beer is a Kansan Summer after rain. Field, Wheat and Grain. It smells like a farm and reminds me of the beers I had in Germany. This is the smoothest drinking 8% I have ever had. It does it by reducing the hoppiness and keeping a light mouthfeel. I have pushed this beer on several people and they all agreed "It is a more drinkable and wheaty Tank 7"

A lot of people will compare it to Tank 7 by Boulevard on here because it is the closest local comparison of a Farmhouse Ale. Tank 7 has more "flavor" but I don't think that makes it better. Tank 7 taste more like black pepper; while this tastes of hay, rain, German tradition, and subtle fig notes. While Tank 7 has more Belgian style roots, this takes a more traditional German approach.

THE BEST BEER I COULD THINK OF TO DRINK THIS SUMMER IN 100 DEGREE WEATHER. The warmer this beer gets the better it is.

It is criminally underrated. Especially when you consider the fact that Boulevard charges $15 a six pack for tank 7 and this beer is only $8.99

To put my review into perspective, I have drank every craft beer I could get my hands on for the past decade and this one is the most refreshing I have had over 7%. It isn't "just another IPA" or another Imperial Stout doused in Whiskey. Many beers that get to his percentage lose this wheat drinkability.

I made an account to review this beer solely. Maybe I'll do more later. When I saw the 3.77 rating, I had to disagree

A criminally low reviewed beer.

3.81/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.84/5  rDev -0.5%

3.87/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Foggy, hazy orange liquid sits below two fingers of white foam. Aroma is citrus, resin, and herbal hops layered over yeast and biscuit malts. The hops steal the show and distract from the underlying farmhouse. Flavor profile is citrus, herbal, and resin hops. Yeast and biscuit malts poke out a little, but the hops really run the show. Mouth feel is medium in thickness, with a fizzy, effervescent texture. Overall, a fair beer, but the hop addition really seems to district from the underlying farmhouse.

12oz bottle served in a tonic pint glass.

3.84/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

L: It's beautiful in its own way. Murky, cloudy and inconsistent. Slow falling yeast, slow rising bubbles. An off-white head that leaves delicate and random lacing.

S: A faint but interesting aroma. A pungent funk surrounded by a smooth sweetness and bright, cirtus fruit. I wish it were a little more bold, but I like what I can detect.

T: There is a blunt yeast taste that is tasty, yet a little overpowering and not dynamic. However, this is a solid farmhouse ale otherwise. Tart, sweet and fruity. Definitely taste a tart apple going on here.

F: Light, crisp and bubbly. This beer is a joy to drink. It's active on the tongue and it leaves a a dryness along the sides of your mouth.

O: The blunt yeast and somewhat weak aroma are about all I can say bad for what is a solid Saison. It provides some dynamic tastes and smells and some wonderfully cutting fruit characteristics.

3.54/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

a german brewer making saison, the beer is about as good as it sounds like it should be with those parameters. i like it fine, but its nothing special, and was easily my least favorite of the three beers i had here on my visit. its clean for the style, nothing crazy on the yeast, a french saison type with a little fruity bite and a tinge of acidity, but otherwise clean and easy. wheaty, a little thick, and i guess with the proliferation of the more rustic old world yeast driven saisons and bretty stuff out there, all that complexity and whatnot, we almost need a new category name for these simple, streamlined, american type saisons. like apples to oranges in a way. still, its well made beer, but not particularly ambitious i dont think. good carbonation and plenty dry, it has that part down beautifully, but the fruitiness is a little much for me, green apple and white grape notes, its a familiar yeast and not my favorite one, but maybe fermented cool enough to keep it under wraps a little bit. i like their more tradtional german stuff better, but always cool to see a brewery going outside the comfort zone...

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Very good and refreshing. Not as sweet as a lot of Saisons, so that was it's main appeal to me. My favorite in this style is Blvd. Tank 7. It's not quite up to the level of tank or but enjoyable nonetheless.

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

3.78/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Der Bauer from Kansas City Bier Company