Kizmatic

Gots
SCORE
n/a
KizmaticKizmatic
Notes: Kizmatic is a blend of two different barrel-aged beers. The first barrel was itself a blend of a Flemish-style sour red and our porter, which was then aged 3 years in an oak barrel. The second barrel was a pale beer brewed with raspberries and blackberries. Reminiscent of an Oud Bruin, the fruit adds a complexity that melds with the sweet malt and soft tartness of the base beer.
3.4/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

From a 500ml bottle, undated, purchased at the brewery 06/27/19. Served in a cervoise.

Pours a translucent sort of burnt caramel-plum color with a gusher of fizzy foam. Once I finally manage to get enough in the glass to have a look at, the head holds up for a few beats before imploding down into a fizzy little cap.

A robust aroma of brett funk, sour sweat, chocolate and tart berries. There’s a biting, almost ammonia-like character behind all the funky-tart-sour notes - it smells good but I’m still a little afraid to put it in my mouth.

Taste is thin and sour. Raspberry dominates the flavor and, as such, tart and sweet is the first thing I notice, but there is also an undeniable character of body sweat and shoe leather which is, frankly, a weird sort of contrast. Finishes with tacky, watery raspberry.

Feel is bright and quenching, light bodied and aggressively carbonated.

Overall, an interesting beer which I really don’t know how to rate. I can’t imagine what the brewer’s intent was here, whether they deliberately set out to brew this beer particularly or whether they just had some old beer lying around and figured they’d mix them together and see what happened. I suspect the latter. I can’t say that I either particularly liked or disliked it. It might be worth a try if you like the sour stuff and have a hankering for adventure.

Kizmatic from Foundation Brewing Company