Hearts Alive Double IPA | Conshohocken Brewing Company

Style: American Imperial IPA

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 17
4.3/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The eradication of the pesky backlog CANtinues as The CANQuest (tm) racks 'em up, sets 'em down & generally does its own thing!

From the CAN: "GO where the path takes you"; "Hearts Alive Double IPA features a copious amount of American hops well balanced by a firm malt backbone. Dry-hopping with Simcoe, Bravo and Summit hops drives the complex aromas and flavors of our DIPA. Flavor packed and smooth."

I Crack!ed open the vent while I got a little bit of foaming, I was able to CANtinue with a slow, gentle Glug into the awaiting glass. Once sufficiently decanted, an in-glass swirl raised just under two fingers of foamy, rocky, tawny-light-tan head with modest retention that left a load of lacing in its wake. Color was an oh-so-slightly-hazy Amber to Deep-Amber/Light-Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13). Nose was beautiful - loads of pine and cattiness, thanks to Simcoe, the naughty kitty, but underlain by a solid toasted malt backbone. Mmm. No, drool … I pushed my lolling tongue back into my mouth for a taste. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but close. Whew! The collective hops immediately set to work, drilling, jackhammering otherwise attacking my poor, unsuspecting tongue with a fury & a frenzy that I have not enCANtered in a while! Phew! The Bravo Summit gave it a very cool, minty burn, only slightly offset by the toasty, biscuity maltiness. Man, I was initially rocked back in my chair by this one! It was hot & humid today, but now, sweat was streaming down my face. Phew! Believe it or don't, I feel SO much better! My hops jones was satiated & the screeching howling monkey on my back slunk off to take a nap. That is a nice idea … Finish was cool, minty, dry & really refreshing. Its ABV was a bit daunting, but man, what a worthwhile drink! YMMV.

3.52/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Golden bronze color. Off white head. Lace.

This one is a bit more malty. Caramel and toffee malts. A lot of dank and weedy hops. Sticky and resiny.

Medium bodied. Decent, but I'd prefer less malts.

3.86/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

16 oz can. Clear, deep amber colored body with a just slightly off-white head. Nice retention cap with good lacing. Aromas of bready malts, and some overripe peach. Flavor is bitter up-front, followed by a blend of semi-sweet citrus and a nice clean bready malt backbone. Certainly a 'different' style of Double IPA but one that is still pretty tasty nonetheless.

2.62/5  rDev -31.2%

Pours a medium/dark amber...head disappeared almost immediately. Not too much going on in the nose...picking up faint hints of dark fruit and a touch of bready malt. The taste kind of reminds me of Nugget Nectar with some amped up sweetness. medicinal and syrupy body sticks to the mouth in the most unpleasant way. really disappointing and hard to finish.

Hearts Alive Double IPA from Conshohocken Brewing Company