Brewer Patriot Collection - James Madison Dark Wheat Ale | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
good
Read the review
Brewer Patriot Collection - James Madison Dark Wheat AleBrewer Patriot Collection - James Madison Dark Wheat Ale

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: American Dark Wheat Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Brewed with hand-smoked malt from red and white oak from a forest in Orange County, VA, on land once owned by James Madison.

Added by Todd on 06-03-2006

3.52/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

3.88/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Had yhis back in October of 2006:

Appearance: Medium head with some staying power. Opaque, medium brown appearance.

Taste: Clean and light taste, mildly hopped flavor. Dry aftertast.

Comments: Excellent beer. Very light taste, but clean and refreshing. Less hoppy than most wheat beers. Hint of caramel in the aroma.

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

3.42/5  rDev -3.1%

I don't know what to make of this one. Its not like any dunkel or wheat beer I've had. Pours dark brown with some haze and a rocky off-white head. Aroma is heavy with rye and roasted grain. Initial taste of wheat turns into toasted rye bread. The smoke shows up in the finish, but not in an overwhelming way. I enjoyed it, but I can see it is not for everyone.

3.33/5  rDev -5.7%

A Coca Cola color with hints of orange and reddish hues. The seems to be little bits of yeast through out the beer. There is a small off white/slightly tan head in the glass.

Nose: A nice wheat and toasted malt with, nuttiness. There seems to be hints of citrus, herbal, and esters.

Taste: A nice wheat/toasted malt with a nuttiness and some molasses. There are notes of citrus, herbal, and esters.

Overall: This is a descent beer and it is very easy to drink. This was one of my first few beer that I tried way back a long time ago I had this beer stacked in my notes and now I can put it down in my profile.

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

My second favorite of the Brew Pat. Collection that me and a friend split. All of these brews had sedement in them so they poured pretty cloudy, not too much head on this one but it had decent lacing. Malty smell and taste. I would probably drink this one again

3.53/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Taken from my old notes.

Pours a hazy brown with little head.

Smell is roasted malt with some caramel, possibly even coffee.

Taste is not overly sweet from the malt and caramel as it does have some hop balance, good carbonation with a dry finish.

Probably the best of this Patriot Collection.

3.3/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a cloudy dark amber with minimal head and good lacing. Malt slightly on the nose. Taste is thicker, but does not stick around long. You get tones of sweet malts, but they do not linger at all. Smooth on the mouth with a slightly bubbly edge to it. I am editing my scores now as I continue trying to drink this one. I think this one might get dumped too. Might be worth trying once, but not worth going back to.

Brewer Patriot Collection - James Madison Dark Wheat Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)