Samuel Adams Helles Lager | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Awaiting More Ratings

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Munich Helles Lager

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by CAMRAhardliner on 05-28-2007

3.8

2.73/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The interns working the SA tour all have great pants. That's all I have to say on that. :)

After sitting through a couple pitchers of the generic offerings, that lonely baby blue middle tap handle cried out to me. "Quick, before everyone notices you're getting another pour. Start working those puppy eyes of yours." Actually, sitting there watching the girls play with the glass rinser was fun enough, but I really needed to try this beer.

A soft mushroom cloud that quickly sinks back into itself. In just a few seconds nothing is left except easy access. The girls are all sloppy by this point, so I know another pour is within reach. The color is most like the street lights right before they turn off at 3am & leave you stranded in the dark, on a not so pleasant corner of nowhere. Yeah, just like that.

Subtly crisp with a nice saltine aroma while being swirled around by my unsteady hand.

Excellent moderate carbonation that helps deliver a taste that is more of the same, but with the addition of slightly more bright accents in the hops. Malty, yes, but nothing that could weigh you down. The girls were eager to oblige with another pour. Lovely girls.

I could almost call this beer fluffy, but I'll save that pet name for next time. :)

4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

I had the pleasure of trying a few samples of this on the Sam Adams brewery tour. Its a test batch that they recently made and may never make again. The tour guide told the group it would taste most like Lowanbrau so my expectations were low. Luckily, he was wrong.

The beer poured a pristine clear gold, a shade darker than bud or blue. The wispy ivory head quickly turns to a thin layer and leaves several veins of lace behind. Upon first sniff, I picked up lots of noble German hops. Some grainy and doughy aromas are there as well but subdued. The taste is full of the same herbal, citrusy German hops. Firm cracker-like malt is in abundance as well, but hops overshadow slightly. The finish is lightly bitter with a sour dough feel.

This is a fantastic lager, I hope SA makes it more regularly. It reminds me of Sam Adams with no dark malt flavors, just a simple pale malt.

Samuel Adams Helles Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)