Bourbon Barrel Aged Shipwreck Porter | Arcadia Brewing Company

Bourbon Barrel Aged Shipwreck PorterBourbon Barrel Aged Shipwreck Porter

Arcadia Brewing Company
arcadiaales.com

Style: Baltic Porter

The Baltic-style Porter has a robust malt character and a slight herbal hop bitterness. Aged for 12 months in 10-year-old Kentucky bourbon oak barrels, this alluring dark liquid features appealing undertones of vanilla, oak, cocoa, and coffee. The aging occurs in abandoned mines in Michigan, at a constant temperature of 45F.

Added by jale on 02-01-2011

Ratings: 1,045 |  Reviews: 340
3.84/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: black, but ruby highlights come through when held to the light; very thin white head that just rims around the glass

Aroma: huge bourbon; huge oak; huge vanilla; some roasty-malty notes; a little hit of brown sugary sweetness

Taste: starts with the brown sugar; transition into a little malt roastiness; then you get kicked in the face with bourbon, vanilla, and oak-they totally dominate the whole thing; some nice roasty malt notes come through at the very end, with a hint of chocolate; aftertaste is bourbon, oak, and vanilla

Mouthfeel: phenomenal; perfectly thick; great carbonation; silky; smooth

Overall Impression: I’m not really sure about this guy right now; wildly unbalanced-the bourbon barrel is the star so much so that the beer almost gets lost; if I want bourbon, I’ll drink bourbon-if I want beer, I’ll drink beer; I have a second bottle that I’d like to hold onto for at least 6 more months to see if the bourbon barrel mellows out a bit

From notes taken on 04/09/2014

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

4.24/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look: 4 Smell: 3.75 Taste: 2 Feel: 2 Overall: 2 Rating: 2.54
I think I was likewise victimized by an infected bottle. Much more sour than expected.

[edit] I subsequently went back to the grocery store where I purchased it. I had thrown away my receipt so they couldn't refund me but they had an uninfected keg and gave me a very generous pour and I've revised my numerical grades accordingly. I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do or not but it's what I'm going with. Btw the guys in the beer department sampled another bottle, agreed with me and pulled the rest to return to the distributor.

2.3/5  rDev -44.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

I had high hopes for this $9 bottle and I was looking forward to cracking it open and enjoying it. However, it poured with no head, very little lacing, and had a strong tart cherry scent about it. It had a tart cherry note to it that reminds me of a sour. Not what I want in my Barrel Aged Porter.
Unfortunantly, for me, this was a drain pour. Like washing $9 down the drain. Save your money and buy just about anything else.

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.16/5  rDev 0%

Bought a 12 ounce bottle from Meijer for $8.50 on January 14, 2018. Bottle was dipped in a violet wax with a 2017 stamped into it. Definitely a solid beer with excellent flavor, but not for that price. Also, there's too much carbonation. Should be a lot smoother with less carbonation.

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.83/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.57/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.11/5  rDev -25.2%

Not sure what year this is, but I bought if off the shelf a couple weeks ago. This seems like it is yet another infected bottle. It has a sour start, with only a tiny bit of anything pleasant on the middle of the taste (little bourbon, roast, and sweetness) before the sour comes back to finish it off. Sadly, a drain pour for me after about 3oz. It has a good reputation, but not worth the risk for $8 a bottle. Had the same experience with BA Cereal Killer and BA Loch Down. Won't be spending money on anything Arcadia puts a wax top on again.

2.76/5  rDev -33.7%

Obviously an infected bottle. The flavor is tart cherry with vanilla, no real roastiness. I bought a 12 ounce bottle from Tavour, it had gold wax sealing it. Very disappointing.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.97/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.08/5  rDev -26%

This one tastes like a mixed drink. I think I got a bad batch. Reminds me of a sour/wild ale. Very weird. $8 a bottle at the local liqour store, what a joke.

Update; found this on tap at the Kalamazoo Hopcat on BBA day Oct 22, 2017 and I can confirm that I previously tried an infected bottle. On tap it was very smooth and not as full as I would’ve hoped for.

To me, a disappointment as with all the Arcadia beers I’ve had.

4.02/5  rDev -3.4%

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.23/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.56/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bourbon Barrel Aged Shipwreck Porter from Arcadia Brewing Company