The Ocho (Formerly Fat 10'er 8)
New England Brewing Co.

Wants
Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Notes: Single hopped with Equanot.
Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 39
4.18/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Lime, lemon and pine resin. Super light drinking. Clean and crisp with a nice bitter finish. Cracker, pilsner and wheat flavored malt profile. Solid drinking brew.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

I did not have this in its original form as part of the fat ten er series. Just had its reincarnation The Ocho out to eat and I have to say it was excellent. Probably don't like it as much as Coriolis but better than FBD and maybe the same as GBot.

4.94/5  rDev +17.1%

Oh boy. I'm going to be the first to review this brew. I went to the brewery yesterday with the intention of grabbing some Fuzzy baby Ducks. As I suppose many did, I arrived with 4 64 oz growlers. Two, I filled with Ducks. What to do with the other two? Beer untasted, I filled the other two with their brand new "The Ocho." NEBCo states that this beer was formerly Fat 10'er 8. But of course, for all who have seen the movie Dodgeball, there is more to the name that that. Craig, this name had to be your doing.

So, I'm going to tell you that this beer is terrible. I don't want anyone to run to Nebco and buy any. Don't do it. Leave it for me. I will dutifully consume all of it . . . slowly . . . over the next several weeks.

Alright, it's excellent. Excellent. This is basically Supernaut with a different single hop. NEBCo features the relatively new Equinox hop here - which has been renamed to something else slightly more sexy recently - a word that's very similar to equinox but slightly more interesting. Anyway, this beer has all of the dank weediness of Supernaut but the Equinox is distinctively different than Mosaic. The is a hop flavor bomb and it may be one of my favorite 2 or 3 NEBCo beers to date. As is typical of NEBCo IPAs, this brew is not sweet. It's got a chewy, piny burn that sits somewhere in the sides of my mouth near the back. It doesn't have the up front tip of the tongue sweetness that I get with a Treehouse brew for example.

This beer is NEBCo doing what they do best. There is no real malt flavor, nothing tastes toasted or "brown." In fact, after a glass of this I poured a Sea Hag for a friend and tasted a bit that was left in the can and in comparison it tasted like a malted brown ale in comparison. Five minutes after finishing a glass of Ocho, I was still salivating with a sort of metallic sting sitting on my cheeks and my tongue. The smell is divine. I want to climb in the glass.

This is not a beer for the faint of heart. But it is also not a bitter hop bomb. It's smooth, clean and crisp. They manage to pack a tremendous amount of flavor into a single IPA. This is not a double. Which means you can drink twice as many.

The Ocho (Formerly Fat 10'er 8) from New England Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 91 out of 100 with 39 ratings