Spin Cycle #1

From:
New England Brewing Co.

Connecticut, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Spin Cycle #1Spin Cycle #1
Notes: Citra and Mosaic
Reviews: 6 | Ratings: 28 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.84/5  rDev +13.9%

This is my favorite NEBCo beer to date. The second iteration of it (Spin Cycle #2) fell short in my opinion.

It's a classic NEBCo beer that seems to take the best of both Supernaught and Fuzzy Baby Ducks (not surprisingly since this is a Citra/Mosaic blend) and brings it somewhere new. I taste a little more of the German-style yeast that NEBCo seems to have been experimenting with lately in their non-ipa brews. There's a little sweet/syrup in there - just a little. The smell is what you would expect from the hops blend. The mosaic dominates a little. After drinking a few of these and returning to a Supernaught, the latter was almost tasteless in terms of hops and also seemed too malty. Spin Cycle is something like (supernaught + ducks) ^2. Outside of the Juice Bomb Trillium/Treehouse style, this is probably my current favorite IPA. And depending on where my taste is at, I might prefer this more.

To me, a mark of a great beer is if it holds up after drinking a few other great beers. So, a few weeks ago, after drinking a Trillium Sleeper Street and a Fort Point, I popped a Spin Cycle. It worked. It was completely different for sure but it held it's own.

As with all NE IPAs, this beer does not age well. After a month in my fridge it was quite lousy. The hop character was gone and it was almost moldy and harsh in taste. In fact, I was surprised at how much of a turn for the worse it had taken. Still, when fresh, it is delicious. If you buy it - and you never will exactly, because they will have moved on to Spin Cycle #3 soon, drink it immediately.

4.63/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Just had my third 16 ounce glass from the tap of my favorite bar. Gotta say this is quite easily drinkable IPA. A nice golden color not uncommon but appealing as the taste and feel makes this beer keeping me wanting more. It has a slight grapefruit hop taste. The smell matches what I taste. Mild aftertaste. I prefer lingering aftertaste that reminds me of the hops but this is quick and satisfying so I can easily have my fourth soon. It feels light so it's drinkable. Not a fan of its name and I do not know what the name of this beer means but do not let that stop you from trying this great beer.

4.34/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 12oz can into tulip glass. Pours a really nice hazy deep orange, but not too dark, with a soft, medium head that leaves a decent amount of lacing. From the nose, I get some really nice soft notes of the Citra and Mosaic hop component, and a malt presence - just to let you know it's there. The taste is on point...I'm getting the citrusy hops up front, a smooth middle from the malt bill, and a really nice mosaic hop finish. Again, nothing overpowering, but just lets you know it's an IPA. I really like this one. It's not as in-your-face as some offerings can be, and the mellow complexity really pulls me in. I am looking forward to getting this version and other versions of Spin Cycle again!

4.46/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This first beer from a series being called something like the "rotating hop series" was quite a pleasant surprise. Now to be fair I do love the hop profile used in this IPA which are Mosaic and Citra. But I wasn't expecting this first release to be as good as it is. I picked up two small growlers at the brewery which disappeared quickly, so I quickly returned for more - and I was not alone. This is a chewy, hazy, hoppy, big IPA weighing in at 6.9%, and is very refreshing. I am hoping that this becomes a regular in their IPA rotation. This IPA may not be as polished as some of the more established DIPA's or IPA's produced by NEBCo, but I think it is a winner.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

Wow! Was not expecting this to be as good as it is! Pours with a perfect head. Not the best looking pour but it looks damn good! Smell is the same, good not great. But the taste and feel.....I'll put this up there with any NEBCO offering as well as almost any of the elite NE hop Bombs! Only regret is that I got 32 ounces and not 64!

4.02/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

On tap at Prime 16. Pours a hazy dark orange color with an inch of frothy head. Moderate amount of lacing. Lots of berries and stone fruits in the nose with some light citrus and floral notes. The taste is more of the stone fruits. Light orange peel with some floral hops towards the end. Berry finish. Medium bodied with a bit of an oily mouthfeel. I look forward to trying more beers from this series.

Spin Cycle #1 from New England Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 90 out of 100 with 28 ratings