The Pine Hearts

n/a
The Pine HeartsThe Pine Hearts
Notes:
4.32/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

this is meaningful and thoughtful beer, and it is everything to me right now! its made with some odd compound of pine or something, not sure i totally get the science, but the beer is still life changing, which is the new par for three magnets, which just keeps on killing it! this is a cool can, lively and expressive looking, smells like lime leaf and roses and hibiscus in its most natural form, fruity and funky at the same time and just crazy floral and forest driven and interesting and good, nothing else like this. red gatorade, limes all over the shop, lemongrass, and some curious herbal bit, its insane. definite pine too, the beta pinene as an ingredient is new to me, and its an amazing addition. some tartness is present, a cranberry sort of situation, rose hips, key lime, some amount of generic herbal pucker. its a wild mix of flavors, still fermentation forward, but with a lot going on in the beer. rose and curry leaf and chalk and lemongrass and cedar wood, its weird! complex as can be, but still a saison. yeast is samey but perfect for this beer, french type, clean, and the whole thing is so weird but cohesive. this might be one of their best beers, certainly is by me!

3.94/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured into a Fremont small snifter. Pours a slightly hazy, golden amber with a one finger whtie head that slowly dissipates to a thick cap with nice lacing. Aroma of grainy malt, strawberry and pine with an unusual vegetal note. Flavor is grainy malt, fruit ester and pine. The fruit character is hard to parse, somewhere between strawberry, kiwi and pear juice. Finishes with light malty pine. Medium bodied with light creaminess. This was interesting. The aroma was peculiar giving me light trepidation about the flavor, but the flavor was immediately satisfying, if also a bit odd. I don't know what pinene is, but there is a distinct pine character here although it is not resinous nor as intense as a strong pine forward hop flavor. There is more fruit and pine then malt, which is unusual for a farmhouse ale. If someone dded kiwi juice to a mild saison in my glass, this is what I'd expect. Rather offbeat, but it worked for me. Got me curious about pinene. (OK, after writing that, I Googled it: it's an aromatic compound commonly found in cannabis). After reading that I realized my first impression as I poured it was some fruity dankness, but after evaluating it in the glass, I came up with the strawberry / pine. Well, it's different, but pleasant and refreshing.

The Pine Hearts from Three Magnets Brewing