Bake Kujira - Cali Brandy Big Poppa

From:
J. Wakefield Brewing

Florida, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
World-Class
Bake Kujira - Cali Brandy Big PoppaBake Kujira - Cali Brandy Big Poppa
Notes:
Reviews: 7 | Ratings: 33 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.53/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Massive thanks to maddogg for generously sharing the bottle that jwb sent...

black with some floaties. boom...huge rich bold flavor. chocolate, barrel, cocnut, decadence really nice. happy to have tried. the highlight is the body with the flavor to support it. I am NOT a fan of coconut and I really dug this so there's that.

3.85/5  rDev -19.8%

Bottle. Black and mukry with coconut chunks floating in it. Smells boozy, sweet. chocolatey. Lots of coconut. Some coffee and a little bit of brandy, I think. Tastes very sweet. Strong adjuncts of all sorts: chocolate, coffee, coconut. Heavy alcohol flavor. Nutty malts. Astringent finish. Big, sweet, and boozy. I'd like to say you can't drink much more than a taster of this, but its availability precludes that already.

3.93/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured pretty thick and oily. Nose was a little muted but plenty of sweetness picked up. Nice feel but the taste was super sweet and not much depth or barrel to find. The best thing this beer did was hide the ABV but the flavor was disappointing. Bit of a muddled mess.

4.99/5  rDev +4%

L: Pours thick, dark, and oily with a soapy rust- and sand-colored head
S: Coconut, vanilla bean, and some barrel on the nose
T: Insane. Dark chocolate, toasted coconut, and vanilla all drowned in a delicious coffee and maple cascade
F: Thick and chewy
O: Absolutely incredible offering from J. Wakefield. I loved Big Poppa and this absolutely blew the base beer out of the water. I sincerely hope this is made again in a much bigger batch so more beer lovers can enjoy it - just awesome.

This might very well be the best beer I've ever had. Sooooo much coconut and creamy milk chocolate. Brandy barrel is subtle but adds a nice complexity to this. Hype is real on this one.

4.96/5  rDev +3.3%

Had this at wakefest and it almost wrecked the day for me. None of the other beers were even close to being as good as this. Oil black. Tan head. Huge coconut flavor. Liquid imperial mounds bar. Fudge and chocolate. Maple goodness. Awesome barrel flavors with vanilla. The 17% was no where to be found. I couldn't believe how good this was.

4.99/5  rDev +4%

Had both a white label 750ml bottle and the black label 750ml bottle. I believe so far that there is no difference between the two bottles, the black label was the one pouring at Wakefest VIP and the white label was shared from a friend of mine who won the lottery. This beer is insane, I've never had a taste of any beer prior to this that immediately blew me away and made time-itself just stop for a few moments. I had this the day before Wakefest and knew exactly where I would be spending my time once the event started the next day. 17% is completely unbelievable, its stupid dangerous here. No burn, no signs of alcohol, just perfect coconut/nilla/fudge. The nose holds a heavy chocolate coconut character, all sweet no bitter-chocolate to be found. Barrel is coming in right behind the fudge and it's giving an added complexity, different sweet spices and oak. Taste and mouthfeel follow suit with the aromas, all fudgy-thick sweet spiced heaven. Overall it is the best beer I've ever had the pleasure to try.
I normally try my best to not compare different beers but when you have the chance to try multiple whalez side by side, its hard not to pick a favorite. Assassin was my first pour of the event, this was my second pour and there was no comparison. Different types of beers for sure, one with adjuncts, one without I know, but this thing was absolute fyyyyyyyah!

Bake Kujira - Cali Brandy Big Poppa from J. Wakefield Brewing