Piccolo IPA

Notes:
Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 6 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
ParnellJoseph1138 from Minnesota

3.92/5  rDev +4.5%

I tried this at the St. Paul Summer Beer Festival. I think it qualifies as sessionable IPA. The beer offered a very pleasant and citrusy aroma. Tastewise it delivered an excellent grapefruit, orange and other citrus flavors but malt was a bit on the weak side, definitely a low gravity beer, so it was fairly thin.

Jul 27, 2015
JamesMN from Minnesota

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a growler.

Appearance: Really nice golden color and perfect clarity. Poured a very thin white head that fizzled out quite fast.

Aroma: Nice bouquet of citrusy, almost tropical hops and some grain.

Taste: If I didn't know this was a mere 2.9% ABV, I'd swear it was more in the 4-5% range. Although there is a fair amount of "carbonated water" presence, the hops and malt still find a way to bring it all together. Decent pale malt flavor that extends some sweeter caramel notes a long with a touch of bread. I was expecting straight hop water but this is more restrained with a some semblance of balance. The hop character ranges from citrus and hints of mango to a bitter aftertaste of earth and pine. I'd wager this isn't more than 20 IBUs, which is definitely IPA territory given the low alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Thin in body, as is expected, with just the right amount of carbonation to keep it from being too punishing on the palate. Definitely sessionable, which I believe was the point.

Final Thoughts: Out of Insight's initial line-up (the seasonal part of which has since mysteriously disappeared from their website) I was most looking forward to Piccolo. It has pretty much met my expectations but could benefit from more whirlpool or dry hopping and less bittering additions. Still, pretty impressive for only 2.9% ABV. Would I drink it again? Sure, I'd love to see this dry hopped in a cask.

May 29, 2015