La Carotte Du Lievre

La Carotte Du LievreLa Carotte Du Lievre
Notes:
Reviews: 8 | Ratings: 16
3.62/5  rDev +31.6%

Bought this at a grocery store while visiting Quebec city. Was stored in their fridge and label indicates brewed Oct 2009. I drank it in June 2010.

Appeance: mildly hazy dark amber big very subtly orange head.
Aroma: some sort of german floral hop (?JHallertau) with a "sweet" character definite carrot notes.
Taste: definite malt backbone, mildly hoppy near the middle with strong but NOT overwhelming carrot and vegetal notes and a mild hoppy finish. Something like an English mild ale.
Mouthfeel: excellent round british ale feel but NOT sweet per se.
Overall: this is a very good example of a "vegetable beer". I was quite impressed - its not a straightforward ale so you have to know what you are getting into.
I was surprised by the poor reviews and wonder if the brewery may have some issues with batch to batch variation.
The label looked much the like one in the photo above but the backround was orange rather than striped - indicating that the brewer may have been tinkering with this beer in the interim. This is a bottle conditioned beer and at 5% ABV it may have issues if it is not stored properly (the retailer I got it from knows beer and keeps most of it in the fridge.)

2.33/5  rDev -15.3%

Received this 341ml bottle as a present. Served in a tulip.
A- Nice creamy white head. Golden-apricot colour.
S- Those carrot/orange cocktail juices (Sobe sells one) Also smells like those vitamin C tablet that fizz up when dropped in water. Strawberry.
T- Whoa did not expect this taste. Smells sweet but isn't at all. Really bitter but not a good beer/hops-bitter. More of a should I be drinking this?-bitter. I guess you can also taste a bit of carrot. And wood.
The face I make while drinking this reminds me of the ones I use to make when having my first beers as a kid.
M- Reel good, full mouthfeel. High carbonation.
D- I do not want to drink another one.

I'd taste it again - a few ounces at say at a beerfest but never would I purchase this again.

2.59/5  rDev -5.8%

Foams up impressively - makes it hard to pour really. Head is thick and sturdy over hazy straw liquid. Nose is fruity berries more than carrot... kinda like fruit punch. Having some issues pouring this - the foam really is quite ridiculous. Flavour is less remarkable - some butteriness, light herbal hopping, and some acidity up front. Some fruity flavours are not out of place nor overly strong. Moderate, somewhat slick mouthfeel and carbonation is moderate despite the head formation. I think I detect some earthy carrotness, but it's really mild. The big knock on this one is that it doesn't really taste much like carrot, which is what I would expect from a carrot beer.

2.74/5  rDev -0.4%

This is one strange beer I've come to taste since drinking microbrew!!! A carrot beer... a carrot beer!!!

Didn't expected much from this beer so I wasn't disappointed but it had some strange taste.

Smell is pretty similar to a normal beer (lager) however, the taste, you can actually taste carrot!!! strange and awesome at the same time.

The taste is strange and, for me, I wouldn't drink a lot of bottle of this beer. Could be funny with friend to play a little trick but then I wouldn't drink a 6-pack of that!! even more, I wouldn't buy a 6-pack!!

(Tasted: 29 december 2009)

2.29/5  rDev -16.7%

341 brown bottle

carrot beer

A: foamy beer, a lot of carbonation, the head looks like cream.
S: nothing, some malt notes,
T: when the beer it's cold there's no carrot but later when the beer gets hotter it's possible to perceived some carrots flavors.
M: thin
D: not much there,

2.65/5  rDev -3.6%

Bottle: Pours a light orangey-gold ale in the tulip with a decent 2 finger frothy cap that lasts well. weak lacing, spritzy carbonation.

Aroma not unlike a light De Konik with sweet confectioner’s sugars, some spice and underlying herbaceous tones like sweet yams... lightly musty.

Light body, weak malt spine, mushy mouthfeel.

Wow how to describe this one and not get killed by Belgian fans?...well it is thin bodied and up front you can taste brewer’s sugars over any malts then a sour off taste midway though you get a flood of interesting flavours yams, spiced turnip some pumpkin mush...finish is wet and punctuated with the classic Belgian brewer’s sugar and an odd sourness.

This is a revelation to me...I suspect many abby and Belgian ale brewers are using vegital sugars...because they sure as hell taste similar to this carrot ale in that respect. Not a bad ale but not a good one either...the tastes just don’t gel.

1.47/5  rDev -46.5%

Bottle: Poured a clear golden color ale with a nice pure white foamy head with pretty good retention. Aroma can only be described as foul with a weird vegetable soup component that does fit in a beer. This beer taste like a standard pale ale but with added vegetable, which again don’t really match what I expect in a beer.

1.96/5  rDev -28.7%

What the hell is this? Is this really a carrot beer?

Hazy yellow with a tint of orange. Either unfiltered or bottle-conditioned. Small white head is creamy but doesn't last too long or lace at all. Definitely has the least aroma of any beer that I have ever had. I was practically snorting this thing only to get a small whiff of pale grain. Light, bright flavors, slightly herbal. Spritzy carbonation. Sweet, a bit citrus and vegetal too. I truely cannot tell if I can taste any carrot. Perhaps the name of this brew refers to some French phrase that I do not know about. Strikes me as a not-very-good English Bitter. Bleh.

La Carotte Du Lievre from Microbrasserie du Lièvre