Decadence

From:
Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Pennsylvania, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Very Good
DecadenceDecadence
Notes:
Reviews: 118 | Ratings: 136 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.39/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a seriously viscous syrupy dark golden honey color. Zero head with some spotty lacing at best.

Aromas are all spice initially; lots of ginger, cardamom and earthy/peppery notes. The honey aromas emerge more and more as it warms and spices subdue slightly.

The tastes directly follow the nose which I was hoping they weren't. Really spicy, with a lot of cardamon and ginger backed by a huge earthiness from the honey and pretty much straight honey flavor as well. I think they may have used a Belgian yeast on this beer as I am getting some peppery flavors in the finish.

Mouthfeel is super slick and syrupy at this point. Considering how old this beer is (2007/08 I think), it had held up pretty well. No alcohol, lots of sweetness, may be too much for some. I could only handle 4-6 oz myself before I asked for help.

Overall, a nice novelty beer but I am glad they went a different direction with their anniversary beers after this one. Not much else to say here.

3.55/5  rDev -4.8%

Big thanks to my buddy Dave for giving me this 6 year old bottle!

Pours a dark brownish copper (rusty copper?). It's almost clear save for some chunkage floating around in the glass. The head dissipated rather quickly in a flash of large off white bubbles as would be expected for something this old. A thin ring stayed atop the glass though.

The smell is thick with dark caramelly malts. A touch of roast resides in there as well, nestled amongst a spicy undertone that may be from the original spices added or perhaps from the yeast strain. Earthy, mossy hops are also present. It smells like a nicely aged barleywine.

The taste is more of the same with a big slightly burnt caramelly note, molasses sweetness, slight spice, and firm hop bitterness in the back end.

The mouthfeel is big and creamy but with a burning presence of alcohol. Can't imagine what this was like fresh. My taste buds are left flailing for mercy after the scorch of alcohol in the finish.

Overall this is an interesting brew that is aging quite well, and I don't typically like aged beers.

Rich dark brown, nearly black with a large tan head of about two inches in height that took forever to settle down and left behind tons of side glass lace that really just thickened up as you went and coated the whole glass.

The aroma was rich with chocolate and roasted malts. Big notes here of cocoa and molasses, hints of smoked malts and a touch of earthy hops. The flavor was more of the same. There was an initial shock wave of chocolate and roasted malts, some light smoked notes that started to come through as well. Almost a hint of bourbon as it warmed and the mid palate took over. This warmed into a light burnt caramel like flavor that soon rolled over into a long, sweet finish that left the lasting flavor of vanilla and coffee on the tongue. The carbonation was just about right on this one, rich, subtle, and never dull or slick.

3.68/5  rDev -1.3%

Picked up a bottle of this back in early 2007 from a local 6 pack shop that still had this sitting on the shelves. It was one of the first Weyerbacher's that I had ever tried I think. Anyway the beer poured out as a dark rich looking brown ale almost black. The aromas were herbal and roasted. The flavor to me tasted like a weaker version of a Jagermeister Shot mixed with a beer. There was some really kick ass flavors of Anise in the brew. I really enjoyed that about this beer. The first sip hit me really hard in the mouth, and as i drank it got smoother and smoother. This was a really interesting brew and I'm really glad I got to try it.

Got this extra earlier today and cracked it open. Thanks goes out to Koopa for this very obscure brew!

Pours a milky brown color, extremely hazy. It's so hazy, it makes it lighter, hence the milky reference. Light brown in color, with a soft tan head. Retention isn't the greatest and doesn't leave much lacing.

The nose reminds me a lot like Weyerbacher Insanity, or other strong English Barleywines. As it warms, fruity characters come out, most noteably apples.

The taste is strong on the fruit notes, with a little bit of spices in the background. I get big sweet malt notes as well as sweet honey (possibly adding to the hazy look also).

Mouthfeel is surprisingly light, probably sits at around medium, with a smooth feel with little to no carbonation. Drinkability is pretty good.

Overall, this is a truly unique brew, and I was pleasantly surprised. Reactions were mixed, but it gets a thumbs up from me. The 13% is hidden nicely in this one. I was extremely skeptical in the beginning, but those feelings quickly disappeared when I tried it.

Big thanks to mistofmin for sharing this bad boy.

Pours a deep amber color with a very cloudy appearance. Very little head that leaves very little lacing.

Smell is of apples and booze. Big malt aromas come through as well.

Taste is fruity and boozy. Big fruit flavors come through, apples and pears with some spices, probably cinnamon. Very original and tasty.

Mouthfeel is full and creamy, slightly hot in the finish.

Not the most drinkble beer, but nice to sample a few ozs of. Very interesing concoxtion.

3.52/5  rDev -5.6%

Thanks to mistofminn for sharing this 'treat.'

Poured into flute glass.

Pours no head. Color is a super thick/hazed burnt orange copper.

Aroma: Massive amount of spices. Honey, ginger, molasses, nut meg, pumpkin. Just a massive amount of spices. Too much! Some applesauce and fruit mash.

Taste: Big malt flavors with a ton of spices. Massive honey, nut meg, cinnamon, molasses, and pumpkin. Some caramel malty. Wow, the spice is crazy. Applesauce is a big flavor.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and warm. Medium bodied with a lower amount of carbonation, which is understandable for how old it is. Ends malty with some heat.

Overall, this beer is reminds me a lot of some of the other Weyerbacher beers I have had (Imperial pumpkin). It is interesting, but so much spices are present. Not something I want a lot of, but it was cool getting to try it though.

3.97/5  rDev +6.4%

Been sitting on this bottle for a bit. Figured no better time than the present to pop it.
Pours a ruby brown in color with little to no head. Nose is mint and chocolate right away. Smells like an Andes dessert chocolate.
There's a whole bunch of spice going on here, but time has melded this beer into quite the delight.
Plenty of spice and still getting a good amount of mint in the flavor.
The alcohol is starting to show itself now that it's had a bit of time to warm up.
Think this one was popped at the perfect time. Just enough time to mellow out and come together, and just enough to calm the heat from the abv.

4.07/5  rDev +9.1%

Thanks to FtownThrowDown for sharing during the super bowl.

22oz. brown bomber poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a murky brownish amber with little head. No retention or lacing.

S: Lots of spices. Chocolate and mint, smells like a Ande's candy. Some malts sweetness.

T/M: More of the spices and chocolate and mint. Some sweetness but not too much. Blends well together. Still some alcohol flavor but nicely mellowed, no real heat. Body is medium full with mild carbonation.

D: For 13%, this is damn drinkable.

3.73/5  rDev 0%

A few weeks ago I was cruising the local craft beer aisle and this caught my eye. I wasn't 100% sure what it was because I wasn't buying beer 4 years ago but I knew it was something special. After a handy blackberry assisted google I found out this was a 4 year old beer. I love Weyerbacher and excited to try such an old brew I picked it up and dove into it last nigt during the snowpocalypse.

A - Murky golden body produced no head on an aggressive pour. Carbonation appeared to be low. Looked crappy untill it warmed and settled into a nice clear ruby-amber.

S - Spicy and subtly sweet. Straight out of the fridge it was mainly just hot alcohol and spice. But as it warmed again it showed it's true colors. Big apple, grape and other fruit smells. Spices which I could not identify and finally some kind of residual sweetness which I am told is probably the honey it was brewed with.

T - Again this beer was rough cold. Hot and spicy, this tasted more like liquor than beer and when combined with the appearance and smell those around me who were offered a sip were reluctant both before and disgusted after. And I must admit I too was slightly worried at first but given the chance to warm(and the 13% abv. to kick in) this became quite pleasant. Big apple and grape meld with somewhat aggressive spice. In the finish a distinct honey sweetness. Very challenging but tasty.

M/D - Silky body was complimentary to the huge beer it was. drinkability was ok. I managed to finish a bomber to my skinny self because I had no one to share with and I wasn't dumping it. However sharing with a friend is advised, I woke up feeling like I had done a few shots the night before. Overall I enjoyed the challenge, enjoyed the brew, and enjoyed the oldest beer I've consumed to date.

3.85/5  rDev +3.2%

12oz bottle that's been lurking in my cellar. Got a 22oz bomber as a trade extra recently so I figured I'd open this one to see how it is doing.

Pours into my glass a deep ruby red with minimal khaki head on top, but I figured as much due to the abv. Quite a few particles in suspension here but it's not uncommon after aging this long. Aromas start with sweet, fruity malts bathed in a deep floral honey that really shines through. Spiciness abounds with hard candy and ginger undertones. A bit medicinal even. Ripe plums and fruit cake. Interesting.

First sip brings big sweet maltiness quickly smacked down by huge spice flavors and caramel. Cardamom becomes evident in the flavor even though I didn't initially realize it before looking at the description on Weyerbacher's website. Lots of dark fruit flavors and floral honey mix in with plum coming to mind most. Flows down with a medicinal, candy like finish. Alcohol heats up the throat as well.

Mouthfeel is dense and slick with a syrupy quality to it. Mellow carbonation. This brew is not messing around and with the abv it's a sipper. Overall, I found this one big but tasty at the same time...a bit too sweet for me so I'll probably need someone to help share the bomber. I always enjoy a new Weyerbacher brew and this is a good sipper. Thanks to mikey711 for the bomber.

4.12/5  rDev +10.5%

22oz bomber poured into a snifter

Found this in a Polish grocery store in Brooklyn with a superb beer selection. I had this when it was first released, but wasn't reviewing beers then. I enjoyed it much more this time around.

Pours a hazy, chilled amber with orange highlights, a decent amount of suspended floaties, and a frothy, khaki cap.

Aroma is of sweet fruit, herbs, booze and spice all at once. The sweetness is cloying and trying to hide all of the spice. It isn't doing that good of a job. The spice is of coriander, clove, and anise, and is very potent. The overall aroma reminds me of a cherry brandy more than anything else.

A spice infused honey sweetness rushes over the palate first, followed by cherries, apples, and a splash of orange peel. The finish is really boozy. At 13%, you'd expect that. It hasn't mellowed much in the 4 years it has been sitting, but it definitely has melded a bit better with the rest of the flavors. I remember the booze dominating much more the first go round. The cherries have subsided a bit too. The beer has an herbal, medicinal astringency that is much more prominent after a few years under its belt.

Full, rich and luxurious mouthfeel. This has a syrupy, cherry brandy like finish that really coats the mouth. It's really tremendous.

A sipper for sure. I tackled this one myself and was it was all I needed for the night. Drinkability, given the style and what it brings to the table, is par for the course. Delicious flavors and a tremendous mouthfeel make this a joy. The only crime is that this was the last one in the store.

3.37/5  rDev -9.7%

From beerbeing in the never again again bif.

Pretty lazy beer from the pour, not much carbonation present, and it's got tons of particulate despite being carefully handled.

Tons of ginger on the nose. Medicinal and herbal.

Flavor is another ginger smackdown, accompanied by some mild alcohol/booziness. Throat heat. Interesting and well made, but it has its limitations. Reminds me of big beers from DFH.

Prickly mouthfeel, mild but sharp carbonation, and the heat going on.

Drinkability is limited due to the strength of the beer, the palate stripping herbal flavors, and the numbing heat. A sipper to share.

3.64/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Thanks to beerloco for sending a bomber of this my way & aiding my quest to imbibe all things Weyerbacher at least once. The bottle speaks to honey, spices, etc. & must be almost four years old. Sounds good to me!

Brew is a hazy amber, plenty of floaties & mush at the bottom of the bottle. Smell is like the punch of a superhero, like a Christmas brew gone wild. Holy spices.

Wild is right. Decadence is a whole lotta beer. There's an overwhelming spiciness that comes singing front & center & gets in your nostrils if you breathe in at the wrong time. But the spiciness - cinnamon? nutmeg? cardamon, if I knew what that was? - isn't harsh & off-putting as I normally find it, perhaps it's mellowed with age & if so, I'm glad I didn't have this right after it came out. Underneath the spices is the sweet honey, although it's more mingled than underneath, if you get my drift. There's some maltishness underneath, but you have to search. The spices & honey pretty much steal the show.

This is a flat, heavy beer, I'd assume due to the combination of age & high ABV. It comes on more like an after-dinner drink than something you could knock back with a burger; a sipper for sure. I split the bomber with my wife, & I couldn't handle any more than I have.

Very good - very interesting - beer. This has a lot of similarity to Surly Three, also made with a good deal of honey, although Decadence is more heavily spiced. Glad I got to try it.

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

Thanks to DIM for this one!

Pours a dirty caramel color with a very fleeting white head.

Sweet caramel and light alcohol in the nose.

Rich caramel, dates and honey dominate the flavor with some alcohol and spiciness present as well.

Low carbonation gives this one a very thick mouthfeel. Alcohol warmth and a slight bite at the end.

Sips well, but a 4-6 ounce serving is probably all that is needed.

Not bad. The aging seems to have helped this. I imagine this was way too hot and harsh fresh - even now, the alcohol is definitely present. So, not bad..but not great.

3.37/5  rDev -9.7%

Pours clear copper with an amber hue. A one inch head of off-white quickly fell to a placid surface and zero lacework.

Aromatics lead off with sweet honey and spice. Cardamon, coriander, nutmeg, cinnamon, and schezuan peppercorns. Hints of orange tea and cough syrup follow through.

On the full side of medium bodied, with an extremely syrupy mouthfeel and quite sappy.

A blast of spice and alcohol start the palate. Pungently spicy and warming with plenty of cloying honey. Sticky malt and stinging alcohol follow through along with orange liquer, cold medicine, and cotton candy.

Finishes borderline hot with lingering honey, pungent spice, and slightly medicinal.

Wowza, still quite sweet after three years and overbearingly spicy. The higher alcohols add quite a numbing quality as well.

3.95/5  rDev +5.9%

Kept a case aging for some time, & on a recommendation I decided to break into a few bottles again & finish off the remanants. My initial impression of the beer when I bought it was that it needed more time, it was "hot" and "rough"... and time seems to have done it much good.

Color is a deep reddish-amber, cloudy. Some sediment remains in the bottle & a couple "floaty bits" came in with the pour. Head is virtually non-existant (at most a rim of bubbles around the glass) & fades very rapidly. Aroma is rich, perhaps bready and shows evidence of spice & herbs with a hint of "mead" from the honey used in brewing. Flavor is warming (but not alcoholic "hot"), rather sticky-sweet & complex from the interplay of honey, yeast, and the herbal/spice notes. The impression is vaguely of the polish bison grass vodka crossed with spiced rum with maybe just a hint of ginger flavored brandy. I supposed I am leaping to these higher octane places because the alcohol is clearly there (especially as it warms) & being enhanced by these elements of ginger and nutmeg and coriander? The feel in the mouth is interestingly deceptive, not as thick as one would expect from the flavor. An interesting "big beer", but as such one that isn't exactly high on drinkability for me. It'd be a nice night cap to share perhaps. A bottle seems almost to be too much for me in a session.

3.62/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to egajdzis for breaking open his aged bottle. I'm still sitting on a bottle b/c the first few I had after the original release made me hold off on rating the beer until a later date.
Appears a dark amber with a small, off-white head that slowly fades into a mild cap. Spotty lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of of heavy ginger, cinnamon, caramel, and nuts.
Taste is of the spicy aromas with sweet caramel, and vanilla coming through in the flavors.
Mouthhfeel is hot(abv evident), sweet, spicy, and caramel laden.

4.47/5  rDev +19.8%

These are about 3 years old now and I thought it was about time I reviewed one.

a: This was a clear, medium amber color with coppery orange highlights. It pours with a thin little head, not much more than a ring around the glass.

s: I smelled sweet plums, perfumed brandy like alcohol, faint notes of cola (coriander?), honey, and some spices I can't identify. Overall a wondefully complex and enticing nose.

t: There is as much complexity here as there is in the smell. There are mildly sweey qualities here that taste of honey, cola, and molasses. Floral spices combine with a surprisingly mild alcoholic warmth on the finish. Upon further reflection, there are some fruit flavors pf plums, cherries, and apples. As is often the case, I'm not doing this one justice.

m: This is very gently carbonated which works quite well for this liqueur like brew. Silky, viscous body on this one.

d: I'm glad I have a few more of these as they are aging superbly. My favorite Weyerbacher anniversary beer to date.

4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

Glowing blood orange with a fantastic flurry of swirling yeast. I was able to squeeze the entire bottle into the snifter because head formation was almost nil... and is almost gone as I type. A minimal amount of lace isn't a surprise, especially given the ABV. In the end, the beer looks more like brandy than beer. Bright backlighting helps if you can manage it.

The nose is incredibly herbal. Botanical would be another appropriate word, akin to some of those herbaceaous aquavits from Scandanavia. The secret ingredient will be tough to identify, but I'll have a better shot after taste bud contact. Decadence smells somewhat anise-like and juniper-like. It's definitely an interesting aroma and is a good one as well.

The three years in my cellar were three years well spent. This 10th Anniversary brew is a gentle giant of a strong ale, with powerful, heady flavors and not one bit of alcoholic heat. Warmth is there in a sensory sense, but not in a flavor sense. Too bad I have just the one bottle.

The flavor and sweetness of the honey is easy to appreciate and dovetails exceptionally well with the dizzying potpourri of herbs and spices. There might be only several additives present, but they have given this big ale boatloads of complexity. This stuff is incredibly delicious and could probably go another few years.

The two spices that keep rattling around inside my cranium are cardamom and aniseed. If given another two guesses, I'd go with coriander and ginger. Saffron? The sticky-sweet fruitiness, the perfectly complementary amount of exotic spiciness, and the invigorating power of the beautifully buried alcohol impress more and more with each passing ounce.

The mouthfeel is exactly as it should be. The only (minor) missteps are that it's a fraction thin and a little underbubbled. Having said that, I'm not sure that more carbonation would have improved things.

This bottle has been biding its time in the back of one of my cellar beer fridges for quite a few years. I had no idea that it would hold up this well or that it would be as wonderful as it's turning out to be. Never mind the generic, black-and-white label. Decadence is a beer that is bursting with color and is loaded with personality. It's a damn shame that it'll never be brewed again.

3.85/5  rDev +3.2%

From notes:

This beer poured a cloudy, almost murky dark red amber color that formed a nice light tan foamy head that left trace lace as it subsided. An aroma of malt, spices and some pepper aspects. The flavor was of malt, caramel, butterscotch, honey and pepper and other candy like flavors. The body was a medium style and the finish was quite creamy but with a slight bit of astringency. A very good beer.

3.05/5  rDev -18.2%

1 Pint, 6 fl oz bottle coppe for $5.99 from Super Saver in Somerville...
"Ale brewed with honey, spices, and natural flavors" on the grey front logo sticker...
Was surprised to see this one on the shelf, so I snatched it up...
Very, very sweet aroma, with a hazy, cloudy, murky, caramel-colored appearance with a minimal frothy head that soon dissipated and left a negligent amount of lacing...
As mentioned before, both the smell and taste were cloying, overbearing, and way too extremely sweet to be drinkable and enjoyable... Like many Weyerbacher samples, this one too, was over-the-top and not a great drinking type of brew... Strong alcohol suggestion is noticeable in both the nose and mouth...
Poor level of drinkability as well...
Not recommended...

3.22/5  rDev -13.7%

12oz received as an extra in trade with an overly generous DIM.. Shared with my brother... mine from my New Belgium tulip.

13%... not expecting alot of head.. mine is clear dark orangey amber.. Steven got the yeast.

Aroma is huge cardamom and maybe touches of sweet orange peel... Steven says it smells like rummy apple cider... big notes of spicy alcohol.

Flavor is better than the aroma.. big spicy with sweet cider notes.. cardamom and to a lesser degree cinnamon... some orangey notes.. not of the citrus hop variety.. more of an orange spicy.. definitely reminds me of a HUGE winter warmer. Thick and sweet.. a ton of alcohol in the finish.. very warming...

Mouthfeel is very viscous but the alcohol makes for a slippery roll off your tongue finish... very little carbonation ... very very warming... at this point, the Decadence is a dedicated sipper not for the faint of heart... reminiscent of Captain Morgans

Gotta wrap this one up.. not much else to say.. I am not sure that cellaring has done this one much good. I had a Decadence a couple years ago and I remember liking it alot more.. but.. this one just seems to have waaay to much alcohol.

Big props to DIM.. Dan great beer.. just not 3 years after brewing... Thanks again.

3.47/5  rDev -7%

Very interesting beer all around and 13% abv just seems to make sense here. The beer pours an orange/amber color. Its hazy and produces little to no head.

The smell is of malt, honey, and spices. Not sure which spices are there but it smells like whats found in pumpkin pie. Very nice and complex. Almost smells more like a mead. Some alcohol noticeable.

The taste is a bit too alcoholic. Theres plenty of spiciness and bitterness coming from the alcohol and spices. Plenty of honey there too. Lots of sweet flavors well balanced by the spiciness. Nice all around, just heavy on the alcohol.

The body is syrupy but smooth and consistent. A litle flat. Good beer, just not great. I would almost call this a braggot instead of a strong ale.

3.97/5  rDev +6.4%

12 oz bottle poured into goblet

A: Pours a dark amber / light chestnut in color. A bit cloudy bordering on murky. Very thin head which retreated to the sides quickly

S: Aromas of sweet malt, honey, nutmeg. Very complex, lots going on here.

T: Malt sweetness, honey, maple syrup, nutmeg, and ginger are all evident in varying degrees. Some hop bitterness is in there in the finish along with warming alcohol.

M: Full bodied, thick & viscuous. Some carbonation, as this was apparently bottle-conditioned it's possible the alcohol dominated the bottling yeast.

D: A nice complex brew. Winter warmer is what I would most associate it with maily because of the spices. This one's a sipper though due to the sweetness and alcohol.

Decadence from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 85 out of 100 with 136 ratings