Sublime Mexican Lager | AleSmith Brewing Company

Sublime Mexican LagerSublime Mexican Lager

AleSmith Brewing Company
alesmith.com

Style: Vienna Lager

Formerly Sublime Mexican Lager (40oz. To Freedom)

"The band members are all big fans of this style of beer. We wanted to create our thirst-quenching version of a traditional Vienna-style lager (famously brewed by the Mexican breweries) that showcases a grainy, malt-forward sweetness and easy drinkability. Clean and crisp with subdued hop bitterness to balance, makes Sublime Mexican Lager the go-to beer for hot summer days or pre-concert tailgating." -- AleSmith owner/CEO, Peter Zien

Added by bigkahuna2187 on 06-16-2017

3.73/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Great album, great album art, very good beer. Went into this one with slight trepidation, will it be just a cash grab or what? Pours a copper auburn kind of color, good Vienna malt, 1/3" off white head, lots of clarity despite the fall like colors. Has that Vienna slightly sweeter Octoberfest smell to it.

Taste, wow, this is really smooth yet malty and easy drinking, not heavy, not sticky, not bitter. Hops almost entirely absent and appropriate for style that is. Man this is some decent summer and fall kind of drinking beer. Can see it being a crowd pleaser, its good enough for this discerning hop head, but definitely for those who don't like hops, this could be right up their alley.

What came off as suspect actually turned out to be a really good beer. They really nailed this one methinks.

4.09/5  rDev +8.5%

First off, I am not what I'd call a competent reviewer. If you are still reading at this point then you must be interested in the lager I am praising. While I am not presenting here a full critique, I really just want to say a couple of things that don't really measure up to the language of reviewers seen here. So you won't find words like corn, bready, adjunct, look, smell, taste, feel ... you can already see my ratings. What I do want to say is that I have consumed a great deal of this liquid, from Coors Light to The Sixth Glass Boulevard Belgian, and I do think I have a pretty good idea of what I like and what tastes good. But beer is like politics, a matter of taste about which you really can't argue. OK, get on with it ... I think ... Ale Smith's Sublime is the best, most drinkable lager, one I would choose to drink over any of the others if I had to choose. Going just a bit further, I have seen complaints regarding this brew in cans. Well, I have decanted this one to glasswear and found it is hands down, best out of the can for some reason. I could drink a lot of this stuff. Back in the day Sierra Nevada was my go to. That was to me, and I dare say all of us, a gift. I had a bad case of it once, thanks to being left in the AZ heat by the supplier. That pushed me out into the wild again and here I am. They're nothing alike and I cannot even believe that I'm liking a lager again. Thanks for reading.

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

3.66/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.36/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Nearly transparent golden amber with a thin white head that recedes quickly leaving minimal lacing. Aroma has grainy malt and subdued floral hops. Taste is malt forward with a slight sweetness and a clean, dry finish.

3.78/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a light copper, dark gold with normal carbonation. Taste is a malty fruitiness, reminds me of an english bitter without the english yeast. Okay but lots of other craft lager options out there.

4.29/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Bright orange with a small haze and steady stream of effervesce. Light golden straw colored head last only momentarily.

S: Clean nose with hints of lager yeastiness, melon fruit and wet corn. Fresh wet sense of greenery, soft green pepper and fresh barley close.

T: Spicy hops are met with a clean grain bill for the flavor. Barley grain sweetness that finishes with a soft pepper and flowery leave along with some oranges.

M: Smooth, silky soft texture. Medium body, some good substance per style.

O: Crisp summertime drink. Expect nothing less from Alesmith. Lagers seem to be a resurgent style of lately dominated by ales. A nice addition to the summer time weather is good lagers. cheers.

4.08/5  rDev +8.2%

This one pours a clear dark orange color, with a small foamy head, and lots of lacing.

This smells like corn, grassy hops, honey, and caramel malt.

Even though this is a bit old, it's still holding up nicely. I don't know if there's any corn in here, but I do kind of get that flavor. There's also some honey sweetness, a nice crisp grassy hop flavor, a bit of caramel sweetness, and some fruity yeast character. Alesmith always does me right.

This is light bodied, crisp and clean, and slightly watery, with a good level of carbonation.

This is a very fun beer and a nice change-up for this brewery.

2.91/5  rDev -22.8%

Hmmm well to start off - this is a lager so ya, what more can I say. The taste is underwhelming. A bit too much caramel notes, not much on the refreshing notes. Cool can though. Aroma was very lager-ish. So ya, nothing to write home about. Cool can though. The big question is, would you have purchased this if it didn't say "Sublime" on it? Short answer: no. Check it out if dig Sublime, don't buy it if you appreciate good beer. :)

Woo ha! Sublime in the house like it’s ‘94 all over again! And you know what, we have a good one here, my peeps! Light like a ballerina with an eating disorder, this one says hello. On the tongue is delicate malts and bready hops like Jean Luc Godard cooking a French loaf.

All around good!

3.8/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.53/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A thanks to the viceroy of Vienna lagers, woodychandler, for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a dark golden/copper color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is bready, some corn. Taste is toasted malts, crackers, a touch of corn, refreshing. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a beer that probably would be great to drink on a summer afternoon.

3.98/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Crystal-clear amber colored body; lots of fine carbonation; thick, sticky, white head. Wheat and honey notes in the aroma. Bread crust and biscuit flavors; low-key yet balanced hop bitterness that builds in intensity as the taste lingers. Medium body; warm; crisp on the palate; mostly dry finish overall.

A rock-solid lager, definitely hitting the points for a Vienna lager. Flavorful, malty, easy drinking.

3.81/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.23/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I rank it up there with Devils Backbone VL. Not much aroma. Taste is sweet malt little corn with good carbonation. I like this and would buy again if not a brewed once type beer.

3.35/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.96/5  rDev +5%

Found my new favorite lager. I'll be spending a lot of time with this one Fishing and camping this summer.
Nice clean crisp taste and a lot my flavor then you would think. Nice job Alesmith.

1.91/5  rDev -49.3%

I recently purchased this at a local BevMo, you can find them around San Diego, Orange and LA County pretty easily. I heard about this promotion from the local radio station KROQ years ago, I remember the band being popular when I was in high school so I decided to check it out. While I was only able to obtain these in aluminum 6-packs, I was disappointed how hard it is to find them in 40 oz. bottles (hence the anniversary of 40 oz. to Freedom).

It has a caramel taste to it, the color is reminiscent of the seasonal Samuel Adams that come out. It's similar to El Chango to some degree, but far more expensive. It's disappointing that I was only able to find these in cans, had this been bottled properly it may have had a better taste.

This was a big letdown, it's just a San Diego brewery making a cash grab from a Long Beach band that died around the mid to late 90's. The beer is alright, nothing special but because they're promoting a popular band the 6-packs cost over $12 each, which is a complete ripoff. Last I recall this band was known to promote cannabis more than alcohol, the surviving members of the band (not the frontman) have been exploiting the legacy of Sublime over the past 8 years so none of this surprises me.

This is an average Mexican beer at best, it's simply a beer brewed 500 miles south of where the band originated from, ripping off the fans 25 years after one of their favorite albums came out. The actual beer is basically a caramel version of Tecate, so it's just a cash grab the brewing company came up with. Don't drink it warm, it needs to be chilled, but this is a gimmick beer so it's only worth saying you tried it before.

Sublime Mexican Lager from AleSmith Brewing Company