Sublime Mexican Lager

Rotating/Seasonal
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Sublime Mexican LagerSublime Mexican Lager
Notes: Formerly Sublime Mexican Lager (40oz. To Freedom)

"The band members are all big fans of this style of beer. We wanted to create our thirst-quenching version of a traditional Vienna-style lager (famously brewed by the Mexican breweries) that showcases a grainy, malt-forward sweetness and easy drinkability. Clean and crisp with subdued hop bitterness to balance, makes Sublime Mexican Lager the go-to beer for hot summer days or pre-concert tailgating." -- AleSmith owner/CEO, Peter Zien
Reviews: 44 | Ratings: 139 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
BeerBobber from Nevada

3.52/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a clear golden color with a one finger of white soapy head. The head seems to slowly soak into the beer.

Smell is of a lightly sweet lager. Getting some corn or maize on the nose. Nice white bread crust smell. A faint hint of grass. More of that biscuit bready smell though.

Taste is a bit sweet. Maybe a bit of metallic coming out. A bit of grassiness. Taste is more like a Euro lager pilsner style.

Mouth is fairly light. Does seem a bit slick on the back end.

I feel confused. This tastes like a well crafted Euro lager pilsner style. Yet I was expecting something like a Corona or Modelo. Seriously this one throws me for a loop. I think Corona Familiar would be a good comparison. Yet again I thought they were going lower or average Mexican lager. Really not bad at all. Seriously. Just really hit me as odd when I cracked it expecting one of those lighter Mexican lagers. Cheers to all and to the brewers of this beer! Grolsch? Does it remind me of Grolsch as it warms? Now I really am confused.

May 31, 2021
vickersspitfire from Texas

3.88/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Look:
Mildly hazy with a thick airy head that thins into a thin ring around the glass, very few bubble islands moving throughout the top; the body itself is a nice golden amber color.

Smell:
Fruity overall, a mixture of apples, kiwi and lemons thrown in with some grassy aromas.

Taste:
Slightly tart on the corners of your mouth, mildly butter as it hits the back of your throat, and the apples and lemon flavors pop a bit as it moves through mouth.

Feel:
Light bodied overall, sweet and easy to drink.

May 16, 2021
bret27 from California

4.12/5  rDev +9.3%

Cans from beer 30 Santa Cruz.
Fresh drop.
Pleasantly surprised.
I guess I should have given alesmith more credit.
They know what they’re doing.
Fairly sweet and delicious.
Should really be sold in 40oz tho.

Oct 28, 2020
just1cho from California

3.79/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

*Poured into a Teku glass from a 19.2oz can*

This had the classic refreshing dark lager look that I love. Lots of carbonation and rising bubbles, clear orange and a finger thick head. Has about a moderate amount of retention to it as well.

The aroma on this was a little musty, which made this slightly unpleasant. But I didn't mind it too much considering there were some nice lemon citrus notes from the hops which were supported by a sweet malt backbone.

As expected, this was very malt-forward in taste. I absolutely loved the sweetness and grainy breadiness that were present in this lager from start to finish. There were some noticeable off-flavors on the taste though, which were more prominent here than in the aroma. I got a bit of diacetyl--along with the same mustiness from the aroma--in the back-end with a slight hop bitterness to it. I don't mind a bit of diacetyl in my lagers, but the mustiness made the aftertaste a bit unpleasant for me, but it didn't completely ruin this beer for me either.

Being light-bodied and crisp, I felt like this beer was super "crush-able" and easy drinking. If this was AleSmith's intention, I think they absolutely succeeded. The only downside of the feel of this beer was that this left a bit of a weird coating in my mouth probably from the diacetyl. But other than that, I really enjoy the crispness and drink-ability of this beer.

Overall, I thought this was super drink-able, malty, and delicious despite the off-flavors. I thought this was super refreshing I would definitely drink this again on any occasion.

Jun 06, 2020
HoppingMadMonk from New Jersey

3.58/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Medium body and carbonation.
Aroma is yeast ,malt,citrus,grain, citrus peel,
Taste is grain,citrus,malt, lime peel, earthy,mild earthy bitterness.

May 25, 2020
DFred from California

Good solid lager--a little darker in color than I expected. Decent head--good flavor and aroma. A nice summer lager to try if you haven't tasted it yet.

May 02, 2020
BBThunderbolt from Kiribati

2.99/5  rDev -20.7%

12oz can (canned on date illegible) poured into 14oz teku. Listed on this site as a Vienna Lager, it looks nothing like one; this beer is a very cloudy burnt orange color with just a thin cap of white head that had low retention and lacing.

The aroma is malt forward, leaning to the sweet side, and not the grain, with some soft, floral hops.

Very similar on the tongue, with the hops being a touch brighter.

The body was fairly average, smooth, crisp, and with a semi-sweet finish.

Drinkability was fine, but not sure I'd want to down several over an afternoon.

Overall, an OKish brew. Don't feel bad if you skip it.

Apr 19, 2020
beersampler6 from Michigan

3.44/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Quite a nice refreshing lager, not sure what to expect from this beer’s description but this brewery has always been excellent. No date printed on can. Pours a fairly medium amber-rust color with minimal fluffy head that quickly faded and no real lingering lacing. Smells of malt, caramel, bread, vanilla and faint nuttiness. No real hop aromas. Taste follows the nose, decent flavor and drinkability. Fairly smooth, mild, slightly thin mouthfeel and decent carbonation. Not too bad.

Apr 08, 2020
kflorence from Texas

3.86/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a golden, copper in color with minimal head and lacing. Darker than expected. Smells heavily of sweet grains and malts with some spicy, grassy hoppiness in the background. For the style, happy to have some hint of hops on the nose. Tastes similar to the nose. Buttery toffee and roasted, sweet grains up front with a bitter hop, crisp and dry hop finish. The mouthfeel is spot on with a subtle, zesty carbonation, some creaminess and high drinkability. Overall, this is a pretty fantastic lager. It's like a thicker more flavorful version of Tecate. The marketing, for once, is spot on. Cheers!

Jul 30, 2019
lordofthewiens from New Mexico

3.85/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This was a pretty nice beer.
Clear gold, nice white head.
Sweet grassy, grainy aroma. A hint of floral hops.
Ditto for the taste.
Light-bodied, goes down easily.

Apr 27, 2019
mactrail from Washington

3.99/5  rDev +5.8%

Darkish amber with a handsome pile of white foam in the tall Pilsner glass. Very grainy and malty with a buttery overtone. Certainly a workmanlike light beer. I don't get what this has to do with Mexican anything but WTF. It's certainly sweet like a mouthful of a really big Blonde.

Maybe there is a hint of lime, or my imagination, but not really bitter at all. I don't think this is a step toward "40 oz to Freedom." But an attractive label. And it slides down the gullet without complaint. From the 12 oz can purchased somewhere in San Diego and gifted me by Clayton.

Dec 26, 2018
BeanBump from California

3.87/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A lot of beer nerds tend to crap on this beer but let me present a counter argument, if I may: this is a beer modeled after the band, Sublime. Sure, it's a pretty standard Mexican style lager that doesnt jump up and bite you right in the liver but isnt that the idea here? Its a beer made for a 90's band of white dudes that apparently doesnt like to wear shirts, plays ska/reggae/punk/rap and is almost always high. Now, if that's the bar youre aiming for, a 5.2% lager that you can swill by the gallon hits the nail on the head.

Dec 13, 2018
VoodooBear from Puerto Rico

2.51/5  rDev -33.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Presentation: 12 oz. can with no freshness dates. Served in a Samuel Adams pint glass.

Appearance: Two finger bubbly head that goes away pretty quickly and leaves little lacing. Clear, light amber color.

Smell: A typical light lager nose, meaning: barely there. A faint whiff of grains and that's pretty much it.

Taste: Sweet, malty and grainy with the slightest hint of hop bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and refreshing with medium carbonation.

Overall: In the sea of bland, light lagers that is the "Mexican style", this stands out above the rest. That being said, the bar is pretty low to begin with. A crisp and refreshing brew that fans of these type of beers will appreciate but that everyone else can just skip. The can it comes in is pretty cool though.

Sep 29, 2018
rodbeermunch from Nevada

3.73/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Great album, great album art, very good beer. Went into this one with slight trepidation, will it be just a cash grab or what? Pours a copper auburn kind of color, good Vienna malt, 1/3" off white head, lots of clarity despite the fall like colors. Has that Vienna slightly sweeter Octoberfest smell to it.

Taste, wow, this is really smooth yet malty and easy drinking, not heavy, not sticky, not bitter. Hops almost entirely absent and appropriate for style that is. Man this is some decent summer and fall kind of drinking beer. Can see it being a crowd pleaser, its good enough for this discerning hop head, but definitely for those who don't like hops, this could be right up their alley.

What came off as suspect actually turned out to be a really good beer. They really nailed this one methinks.

Sep 04, 2018
DaltonNameAlrdyTaken from Arizona

4.09/5  rDev +8.5%

First off, I am not what I'd call a competent reviewer. If you are still reading at this point then you must be interested in the lager I am praising. While I am not presenting here a full critique, I really just want to say a couple of things that don't really measure up to the language of reviewers seen here. So you won't find words like corn, bready, adjunct, look, smell, taste, feel ... you can already see my ratings. What I do want to say is that I have consumed a great deal of this liquid, from Coors Light to The Sixth Glass Boulevard Belgian, and I do think I have a pretty good idea of what I like and what tastes good. But beer is like politics, a matter of taste about which you really can't argue. OK, get on with it ... I think ... Ale Smith's Sublime is the best, most drinkable lager, one I would choose to drink over any of the others if I had to choose. Going just a bit further, I have seen complaints regarding this brew in cans. Well, I have decanted this one to glasswear and found it is hands down, best out of the can for some reason. I could drink a lot of this stuff. Back in the day Sierra Nevada was my go to. That was to me, and I dare say all of us, a gift. I had a bad case of it once, thanks to being left in the AZ heat by the supplier. That pushed me out into the wild again and here I am. They're nothing alike and I cannot even believe that I'm liking a lager again. Thanks for reading.

Sep 04, 2018
rarigney from Washington

4.36/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Nearly transparent golden amber with a thin white head that recedes quickly leaving minimal lacing. Aroma has grainy malt and subdued floral hops. Taste is malt forward with a slight sweetness and a clean, dry finish.

Jul 21, 2018
twage04 from North Carolina

3.78/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a light copper, dark gold with normal carbonation. Taste is a malty fruitiness, reminds me of an english bitter without the english yeast. Okay but lots of other craft lager options out there.

Jul 03, 2018
beerthulhu from New Jersey

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Bright orange with a small haze and steady stream of effervesce. Light golden straw colored head last only momentarily.

S: Clean nose with hints of lager yeastiness, melon fruit and wet corn. Fresh wet sense of greenery, soft green pepper and fresh barley close.

T: Spicy hops are met with a clean grain bill for the flavor. Barley grain sweetness that finishes with a soft pepper and flowery leave along with some oranges.

M: Smooth, silky soft texture. Medium body, some good substance per style.

O: Crisp summertime drink. Expect nothing less from Alesmith. Lagers seem to be a resurgent style of lately dominated by ales. A nice addition to the summer time weather is good lagers. cheers.

Jun 13, 2018
GreesyFizeek from New York

4.08/5  rDev +8.2%

This one pours a clear dark orange color, with a small foamy head, and lots of lacing.

This smells like corn, grassy hops, honey, and caramel malt.

Even though this is a bit old, it's still holding up nicely. I don't know if there's any corn in here, but I do kind of get that flavor. There's also some honey sweetness, a nice crisp grassy hop flavor, a bit of caramel sweetness, and some fruity yeast character. Alesmith always does me right.

This is light bodied, crisp and clean, and slightly watery, with a good level of carbonation.

This is a very fun beer and a nice change-up for this brewery.

May 05, 2018
MeanMotaScootah from California

2.91/5  rDev -22.8%

Hmmm well to start off - this is a lager so ya, what more can I say. The taste is underwhelming. A bit too much caramel notes, not much on the refreshing notes. Cool can though. Aroma was very lager-ish. So ya, nothing to write home about. Cool can though. The big question is, would you have purchased this if it didn't say "Sublime" on it? Short answer: no. Check it out if dig Sublime, don't buy it if you appreciate good beer. :)

Apr 21, 2018
RaulMondesi from California

Woo ha! Sublime in the house like it’s ‘94 all over again! And you know what, we have a good one here, my peeps! Light like a ballerina with an eating disorder, this one says hello. On the tongue is delicate malts and bready hops like Jean Luc Godard cooking a French loaf.

All around good!

Apr 02, 2018
tone77 from Pennsylvania

3.53/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A thanks to the viceroy of Vienna lagers, woodychandler, for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a dark golden/copper color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is bready, some corn. Taste is toasted malts, crackers, a touch of corn, refreshing. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a beer that probably would be great to drink on a summer afternoon.

Mar 26, 2018
beergoot from Colorado

Crystal-clear amber colored body; lots of fine carbonation; thick, sticky, white head. Wheat and honey notes in the aroma. Bread crust and biscuit flavors; low-key yet balanced hop bitterness that builds in intensity as the taste lingers. Medium body; warm; crisp on the palate; mostly dry finish overall.

A rock-solid lager, definitely hitting the points for a Vienna lager. Flavorful, malty, easy drinking.

Mar 21, 2018
Davidstan from Alabama

4.23/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I rank it up there with Devils Backbone VL. Not much aroma. Taste is sweet malt little corn with good carbonation. I like this and would buy again if not a brewed once type beer.

Mar 10, 2018
CJNAPS from California

3.96/5  rDev +5%

Found my new favorite lager. I'll be spending a lot of time with this one Fishing and camping this summer.
Nice clean crisp taste and a lot my flavor then you would think. Nice job Alesmith.

Mar 06, 2018