Bumper Crop

Wants
Gots
SCORE
n/a
Notes: Michigan Copper & Mosaic- hopped + Phantasm American Pale Ale.

A new-to-us hop known as "Michigan Copper" makes its debut next week and we're full-bore stoked about it. One, because of what it brings to the beer. And two, because it's a local hop from our new friends at Live Wire Hops in Amboy, Illinois, which is a little over an hour west of the brewery. Holy box-checking in one beer here: 1-local hops, 2-a favorite hop from the Pacific Northwest and 3-new hop technology from New Zealand in the form of Phantasm. We hope you dig it.
View: Beers
Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 6 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
5toutman75 from Illinois

4.41/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Canned 9/28/21
Consumed 10/13/21

I'm loving the smell of this more than anything. Bitter dry grapefruit rind. It follows on the tongue the same way. It finishes dry and bitter. It could be softer feeling and it looks a bit like dirty dishwater. STill, I'm really liking this due to the bitterness. It's recognizable as HB but more unique than some of their other beers which makes me happy. I'd buy again. I'm liking the more variety of lower proof pale ales they've been putting out.

Thursday at 01:33 AM
GrumpyGas from Illinois

3.68/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Not much to look at poured from the can. A watery opaque pale yellow body briefly supports a 1" head of white mixed bubbles before falling to the edge.

Grapefruit rind yields to cat piss aromas with a lime spritz.

Flavor isn't as objectionable, with much less reliance on cat piss. Grapefruit and a hint of lime with a note of pine resin.

Mouthfeel is a solid medium , finishing cleanly.

Overall, as a 6% pale, it is essentially what I expect from Hop Butcher flavor wise, but falls short of their usual quality.

Oct 04, 2021
GuyFawkes from Illinois

3.59/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Canned 9/28/21; drank 10/2/21 @ the Yarchives.

Opaque orange/yellow appearance.

A violent pour yielded a big white head; strong, thick lace.

Grapefruit, lemon peel & mild ganja notes in the nose.

Sticky medium mouthfeel.

Tart grapefruit & lemon peel flavors up front; some sticky ganja notes on the finish.

A bit punishing, overall; it's flavorful but the profile isn't for me. Not one I'll return to.

Oct 03, 2021