Katherine's Kolsch

Rotating
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Katherine's KolschKatherine's Kolsch
Notes:
Reviews: 8 | Ratings: 20 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.39/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Despite a fairly hard pour I was unable to produce much of a head; the slightly hazy amber liquid seems lonely with the cap lasting only a few seconds

Smell: Bready with a faint lemon tone and some pithy bitterness

Taste: Bread forward with a fruity element building; hints of lemon and grapefruit through the middle and a slightly fruity finish

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with low carbonation

Overall: Rather disappointing as I really enjoyed their Grisette

3.7/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured from the can into a Gaffel stange glass. Sprouted on September 23rd 2016.

Nice unfiltered if slightly dull body, lemon yellow ith a bit of apricot darkness to it. Lots of sudsy carbonation coming up, the whole glass is practically roaring with it. No surprise a big head, but more surprisingly in control. Fluffy and bright white with big bubble bath foamy appearance of three fingers. A surprising amount of retention as well, but eventually does settle nicely.

Good solid aroma. Hop forward a bit but there's a touch of lemon and fruity senses but has that good decent chewy malt and dough bread character. There seems to be a touch of possible American hop in here as I am getting a bit of grapefruit also. It does pair well though and doesn't go overboard at least. Pretty solid on the nose.

Palate seems to go a bit more American in style. Hop forward with quite a bit of citrus and tropical notes in the middle. IPA like flavorings of grapefruit and pineapple very noticeable, also with a very juicy like body to match in the mid palate. Hits slightly herbal in the finish, but also has that new age juicebox IPA character. Solid body, not even fizzy but noticeably playful.

A decent brew but the flavor is more akin to a hopped up new American style take. It will certainly keep the hop heads happy, but looses a lot of Kolsch character in turn unfortunately. So that manages a little bit less in enjoyment for myself.

2.88/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

It's appropriately straw colored, but far too hazy - a kolsch-style beer should NEVER be hazy. The aroma brings appropriate lemony qualities, but also a strange hint of marinara sauce. Frankly, the nose is quite witbier-esque, yet with a stronger spice quotient (and of course, the omnipresent marinara sauce). It tastes better, however. Lemon flavors are clustered at the front, with strong coriander near the back. There are even some hoppy hints fluttering around. It feels light and crisp - refreshing even - but it's not clean like the style demands. Overall, this is tasty enough taken in a vacuum, plus it does grow on me after a while. Still, I'm docking points because this really isn't like a kolsch at all. I probably won't buy it again.

2.88/5: Hey Katherine, this seems like a witbier...

2.49/5  rDev -32%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

I really wanted to like this. Very local for me. I like Kölsch. Many years ago I had one in Cologne. But I don't like this. Not that it's a drain pour, but I'm disappointed. Costs a small fortune, so maybe that raises the bar too high.

The head is literally over the top. Huge bubbles, requires a painfully slow pour to fit into a glass of normal size to accommodate other heady beers. It's just weird.

The aroma and flavor are citrusy to a fault. Too much.

It's almost like a wheat beer. Which I also don't like.

If that's what a kölsch is supposed to be like, then I defer, but It's not what I remember.

Again, it's not a travesty or anything. Just doesn't seem right.

Lovely label though, and comes in cans.

4.09/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz can, dated 5-17-16, poured into pint glass

A- A super hazy bright yellow with a three finger white head.

S- Some sweet bread, some wheat, a hint of grape/lemon tartness, nice earthy spice.

T- Pilsner malts, some wheat, touch of sweet bread, some light fruits, nice earthy spice.

M- Light body, crisp, smooth.

O- A nice and tasty beer for 4.6% ABV, great summer beer!

3.93/5  rDev +7.4%

This is funny looking Kölsch, for sure, but it is a farm brewed take on the classic. Despite the yellow cloudiness, the taste is fairly clean, malty, and appropriate for the style. Had it at a tap takeover on draft at Atwater's Baltimore, paired well with a pair of goat cheeses. Update: Recently bought a six-pack of cans, and all had significant bulging of the tops. There was clearly refermentation, with loads of yeast sediment. It doesn't change my review, but there may a problem with the canning process and why would you want a can fermented Kölsch?

3.56/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This beer grew on me as I worked my way through a 20 oz pour. Not sure if this beer is supposed to look like a lemonade, that someone peed in, but that's what it looks like. It also may have been a bit too chilled to pick up much on the nose. But for the style, which I admit has never been my favorite, it seemed to nail the taste and mouthfeel. I'd recommend a smaller pour though.

4.22/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I did my original rating (4.24 overall) when I was at the brewery and had on tap back in late May. I'm doing a full review from the can (6/9..so about 7-8 weeks old) at my house.

So this beer was a gusher out of the can. Literally 100% foam into a slow pour shaker pint glass. Filled the 16oz glass with foam with only about 5oz of beer. Had to wait 10 minutes. Smell is quite pleasant and so is the taste which is a really nice bready and crisp and refreshing, with hints of the hops and no lingering dryness or bitterness like I've noticed in other brewers Kolsch's. Its a nice summer beer for sure and would be great with food.

Katherine's Kolsch from Manor Hill Brewing