My Old Friend (Aged in McClintock Whiskey Barrels)
Manor Hill Brewing

Apr 18, 2021
SCORE
n/a
Notes: None
Recent ratings and reviews.
4.84/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75
by fjstev from Maryland

This limited BA Imperial Stout (2021 edition) was a happy surprise. Not as thick and syrupy as more well-known stouts of this type, but the flavor was surprisingly complex. As the temperature rose in my fluted snifter, the brew opened up and filled the nose with cherry and chocolate notes. Warm and soft mouthfeel with only a slight bitterness. The whiskey taste is there, but doesn’t overwhelm. Sold in a 4-pack of 12oz. cans. I hope they bring it back next year!

Jan 01, 2022
4.89/5  rDev +4.9%
by benandemmiboo from Maryland

Simply among my all-time favorite stouts. Thick, dark black, carbonated with whiffs of whiskey flavor. This is the local brewery I would love to visit; I think their ales are super, and this time, they have a 12% stout (2021) comparable or superior to Ten Fidy or Narwhal (which are also superb). It definitely has more whiskey flavor than most barrel-aged stouts I've tried, save maybe the World Wide Stout, and it doesn't try to hide it with like marshmallows, cake, or fudge, as do the majority of breweries. For those who don't like whiskey, then, perhaps you'd appreciate this less, but for me, they are the only local brewery whose products I consistently love (their Manor Hill IPA is stellar too), and I definitely feel lucky to live where their offerings are readily accessible.

Nov 22, 2021