Here Be Monsters

Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Here Be MonstersHere Be Monsters
Notes: Our "uncharted" Russian Imperial Stout is brewed with a heaping base of Maris Otter and copious amounts of English chocolate and crystal malts and our house English Ale strain.
Reviews: 5 | Ratings: 21 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.6/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2017 vintage.

This is bourbon soaked double fudge brown batter goodness. Warming, smooth, rich, thick.

Full bodied, perfect carbonation. Ends with an awesome bourbon flavor. Very well done.

4.25/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Sample at Mikkeller Beer Celebration Copenhagen 2018, Blue Session. Aroma has apple skin esters, dark malts and spicy chocolate. Taste is sweet and fruity, a bit hot, astringent, some bourbon in the background.

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

Batch 2. Pours thick and dark. Not the most syrupy of BA stouts, but has a nice mouthfeel (all of us liked it better than batch one). Definite notes of vanilla and marshmallow -- I don't get any fruit, which is a plus for me. Really great beer, and worth the long wait.

3.79/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

The latest and greatest barrel-aged hype machine creating lines down Colfax Avenue! Or into the alley at least. To start off this actually has a cool name and label so good job there Cerebral. It comes in a 500ml bottle so that is just the brewery of the moment being stingy. I drank it on tap to see what the madness was about and I am happy to report that this is super .rar. It is also super hot and boozy without good barrel flavors. I'm not trying to be negative about this beer but save yourself some time and money and grab a bourbon county or a parabola instead. It's a good enough beer but teh low bottle count ensures people will act a fool.

4.43/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Yeah...this was damn good. Sadly I didn't get any of the original batch of Here Be Monsters, so I thought my chance had vanished, but then I was tipped off that there was some that had been stashed away for barrel aging. So I jumped at the chance to get this, and it was excellent. Heavy, high-alcohol, full of flavor, a great example of a Russian Imperial stout, plus the bonus of a flavor kick from the barrel. This was a very successful experiment, and with Cerebral starting to expand their barrel aging program, I expect to see many more successes in the future.

Here Be Monsters from Cerebral Brewing