Brontes (variant with Vanilla)
Czig Meister Brewing Company

Notes:
Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 3 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.87/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I purchased this 18 dollar 750 ml bottle during my visit to the brewery, where I had the opportunity to sample a wide array of beers including a handful of barrel aged offerings. I'd say this is in keeping with what I experienced that day - mostly good, but not quite complete in one way or another.

This was an enjoyable beer for the most part but grew a little tiresome by the end of 12 ounces. The issue for me was something slightly off in each aspect of the beer - visually it's a little thin, inky but without much head or lacing, and a slightly fizzy look. The mouthfeel is also a little thin and still, lacking the fullness and coating character anticipated in a stout of this magnitude. Aroma is modest and muted and carries an oxidized sherry note with vanilla riding close behind. Flavorwise it's very much the same - I get sherry or port notes above all else, with a fairly strong vanilla note as the secondary player, tasting more like extract than anything else (although it's conditioned on vanilla beans). What I don't get is Bourbon or oak, nor the standard flavor characteristics of an imperial stout such as roastiness or char, coffee, bittersweet chocolate and so forth.

That sounds like a lot of criticism and I think this beer warrants that but again I did mostly enjoy it. I like sherry and port so that flavor didn't bother me but I'd much prefer it in a barleywine or a bigger bodied sweeter Stout that might counterbalance it and not simply succumb. Interesting drink to be sure, though, and not the standard fare.

Brontes (variant with Vanilla) from Czig Meister Brewing Company