Show Me Sour

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Show Me SourShow Me Sour
Notes: Originally brewed as a collaboration between Boulevard's Brewmaster Steven Pauwels and Side Project Brewing owner/brewer Cory King, Show Me Sour was inspired by their mutual admiration for low ABV, Belgian table beers. A touch of acidity, some dehusked black malts for a rich, dark color, plus a short time in whiskey barrels before being blended back with fresh beer, make for a unique and inviting beer that's our play on a whiskey sour.
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 44 | Ratings: 134
4.05/5  rDev +8.6%

A - Largely opaque, dark cola color, minimal head, quick to fade, and no real lacing to speak of.

S - Acidic nose, lactic hit, an over-steeped tea note, a bit of undefined fruit, and a hint of barrel.

T - For all the variety in the nose, the sour front is pungent and unifying, the wood and tea are in the back, and a sweet tart aspect in the close.

M - Brisk tartness that does not tip over into a pucker, surprisingly supple.

O - I really like this, but I think some of the subtlety in the flavor is lost to the sourness. Still, a sour that's delicious and does not punish.

3.82/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I was elated & an attendee a few years ago at the Press fete in PHL for the announcement that Boulevard B.C. beers of KC, MO would now be available in PA! My enthusiasm has not waned in the least, but I have a sufficient amount of their beers in the Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody that I am conducting a Coup de Boule(vard) today for New Beer Sunday (Week 663). Hang on, it's going to be quite the ride!

From the bottle: "12 IBUs".

I Pop!ped the cap & began a slow, gentle pour to begin the day. Imagine my shock & awe when I saw its color - Very Dark Brown to Black/Opaque (SRM = > 34, < 44), since I was expecting something golden in color. I don't know why, but I was. Silly Woody, these kicks ain't for kids! I decided to stir things up with a vigorous in-glass swirl, raising two fingers of fizzy, foamy, light-tan head with decent retention. The color also had mahogany highlights & NE-quality clarity. Nose was definitely sour, with notes of apple vinegar and lemon as well as a light whisky scent. I see in the "Notes/Commercial Description" that they are going for a Whisky Sour flavor. Wow! Shades of my great-aunt & great-uncle as well as my best friend's parents, all sitting around smoking cigarettes, playing cards & drinking whisky sours. We both had relatively older parents & so this was not uncommon, although a holdover from an earlier generation. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, not watery, but not a lot of depth, either. The taste was (thankfully for me) not as intensely sour as the nose had led me to expect. Oh, it was unquestionably sour, as opposed to tart, but at least I was not moved to tears & reaching for a glass of water as is so often the case. Warming, the barrel-aging became more assertive & made its presence known. Finish was dry, not gasping, but plenty sour for this kid. I know, they should write a series of books about me, entitled "Diary of a Wimpy Beer Drinker". Onwards!

3.59/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Black in color with a fingernail of brown. Light lacing. The aroma is difficult to detect,but there is light tart horse blanket and merlot. I'm tasting dark malt, faint red wine, and oak. The mouth is highly carbonated and dry.

3.87/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

My theme today is sours. The first was a gose. Who knows what this is. Sour, for sure.

It pours a surprising foamy brown. The aroma is of exotic yeast and some hops showing through somehow. The taste is complex. A gritty barrel taste sits under a sour yeasty concoction. It lands thicker than it should on your taste and does not let go.

Recommended as a unique, one of brew. Not too dearly priced. Jeez, I got all interrupted by the cat puking all over the carpet and wood floors. I came back to finish this review, then on to see if the cat is feeling better. Only then maybe can I see about getting new tires for my new (to me) Lincoln.

4.39/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Look: Pours a roasted brown color thats slightly clear around the edges, with a one finger beige head of foam that fizzles away instantly and doesn't lace the glass.

Aroma: Mostly chocolate malt on the nose, akin to dry cocoa powder and sweet milk chocolate. Some notes of brown sugar and caramel, almost sort of a roasted pretzel thing going on too.

Taste: Pretty cool. The flavor is not that intense, but what taste this beer does pack is showcased masterfully, I think they were going for sessionability here anyway.Upfront you get a nice nip from some sour notes of yeast, almost to the degree of lemon. It's not overdone, the sourness is just enough to give the beer a tart little kick at the start, and it doesn't linger too long throughout the rest of the taste. Quickly the palate shifts into flavors of toasted oak, bittersweet chocolate, dry cocoa, and very mild caramel with notes of sweet bourbon. Finishes dry with flavors of toasted, bready malt.

Feel: Body is light and thirst quenching. Low carbonation. Very crisp and at such a low ABV I could drink this all day.

Overall: A lovely beer. Interesting take on the American Wild Ale style considering it's brewed like a porter. The sourness adds to the drinkability in my opinion, and really helps lift the palate. That being said, the tart qualities of the beer aren't heavy handed, allowing the barrel aged character and roasted malt flavor to come through towards the end. At 4.3% it's incredibly drinkable, and the flavor is not cloying as the sweetness from the malt bill and barrel aged character is counteracted perfectly by the sourness. If you're a fan of sour ales this one is 100% worth a try. Bravo Boulevard.

Rating: [A-] Excellent. 4.39/5.

3.43/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark brown that allows some red light through with a fizzy head. Smells like roasted malts and some astringency. Tastes tart with some chocolate and roasted malts. Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Overall this is a pretty one dimensional beer. It's good, but I wouldn't get it again.

3.56/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Dark brown with a touch of red showing in the glass. A touch of haze is there. Small head that is quickly gone.

S- Light, acidic tartness, quickly followed by dark malt scents are the preeminent smells coming from the glass. On the back end, the dark malts really take over with strong chocolate scents being prominent and lingering.

T- The drink starts out with a light tartness that is mostly oud bruin like, with high acidity and a bit of citrus component. Just like the scent, the next flavor is the dark malt and chocolate. Maybe just a touch of tart cherry mixes in at the end of the drink with the dark malts.

M- Light and highly carbonated in body, this one drinks very easily without sparing on the sour component of the beer. It is just thick enough to support the darker of the malt flavors.

Overall, this is an interesting beer and if I had on phrase to describe it, I would say "session dark sour ale." To me, it fits that exact description and I can't think of a better way to say it.

3.68/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: The beer is black when viewed from afar, but when held up a bright light traces of dark red are visible. It poured with a quarter finger high beige colored head that died down, leaving a few specks of bubbles on the surface and a narrow collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Faint aromas of sourness are present in the nose.
T: The taste has light flavors of dark malts with notes of sourness and hints of whiskey.
M: It feels a bit more than light-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This is a unique sour ale that is very easy to drink, although it's a little light in terms of aromas and flavors.

3.82/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a deep brown, almost black in color with no head and soda-like carbonation.

Nose doesn’t reveal much. Ample malt with a lot of coffee character. I get some green pepper qualities mixed with a kiss of sour and funk.

Taste is just strange. It reminds me of a soured amber ale. Up front, the beer has some tart, lactic flavors. However, this does subside, leaving a malt-forward beverage with an enhanced level of smoke. More coffee notes on the back end. A little blackberry and oak.

Overall, this beer is a bit too strange for me. I see it pairing well with ham with a red-eye gravy. It gets a 76/100.

4.05/5  rDev +8.6%

Show Me Sour pours a darker color with a small but long lasting head. Nice oakey aroma, with hints of dry fruit. Taste is the same, some barrel notes, hints of bourbon, and a nice dry fruit flavor, with a small sour finish. Good body and feel. Overall, small sour, but great dry and bourbon flavors.

3.44/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Ok. This has a black or very dark brown color with a quickly receeding chocolate colored head. If I had to call a scent I'd say Belgian yeast with sour funk. I can't detect much else. Um, im getting the sour but not much else, maybe a bit of chocolate and a tad of sweetness. Very low carbonation...eh, I really am wondering what this is supposed to be.

3.15/5  rDev -15.5%

Meh... sour is not prominent nor is barrel aging. At $8 for a 6 pack I'm not upset, but 4 of them will sit around until there's nothing better in my fridge. Much better sour options out there at a similar price.

4.03/5  rDev +8%

It pours a surprisingly dark brown bordering on black. Not much in terms of head. Aroma is astringent and smoky, with elements of wood. The taste is sour but not at all overly so. Medium body and no carbonation. A very refreshing wild ale.

3.52/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass

L: Clear dark mahogany brown pour. 1 finger of foamy white head. Scant lacing.

S: Tart lemon and a bit of funk... mixed with a bit of barrel.

T/F: Sweet fruits and lemon zest at the start giving way to some mild tartness. A bit of funk, but expected more given the barrel aging. Medium to light in body. Carbonation was on point. Finish is where I picked up most of the barrel character. A bit of oak but not terribly strong.

O: Pretty much a session sour... pleasant and drinkable, and might be a good 'intro' into sour beers for someone unacquainted. Not really sour per se... more mildly tart and not terribly complex. Easy to drink though... good price point and reasonably good flavor.

3.12/5  rDev -16.4%

My kind neighbor got me this beer. It poured an opaque dark with no head and no lace. The scent had hints of burnt corn husks. The taste was sour mash with hints of wine...the mouthfeel was lighter in body with subtle carbonation. Overall it's ok.

3.68/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle. 7/17/17 bb date. Appearance: deep dark brown, almost black, opaque, with minimal white head.
Aroma: Light nutty and toasted maltiness. No hop or acidic aromas
Taste: Starts with a touch of nutty and toasted bread maltiness and quickly turns to an acidic sour cherry that almost has a tomato like quality. Minimal bitterness.
Mouthfeel: Light bodied with a relatively low carbonation.
Finish: Very dry and a puckering acidity. A bit of nutty malt shows up retronasally.
Overall: An interesting sour. Almost comes across as a nut brown with some added lactobacillus. Nice, but it's pretty straightforward and lacking some complexity

3.78/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Boulevard Brewing Co. "Show Me Sour"
12 fl. oz. brwon glass bottle, "BEST BY DATE ON BOTTLE" "17JUL2017", sampled 28APR2017
$2.29 @ Total Wine & More, Cherry Hill, NJ

Notes via stream of consciousness: Ha, I thought it was "Show Me The Sour", I must have "Jerry McGuire" on the brain. Ahhh! And it's dark? I was expecting something golden. It kind of looks like cola in the glass. At least the head disappears just as quickly. The aroma appears more chocolatey and mocha coffee-like to me than sour. I wonder if this is a good sign or a bad sign. Well I get the chocolate in the flavor, but the sourness is also there. I hesitate to call it roasty. On a scale of 1 to 10 for sourness I'd say it's about a 4, maybe 5. It's what I'd call tart, not sour, and lightly tart at that. Which is fine, I don't need a beer to be puckeringly acidic, and in fact that can sometimes distract from the rest of the beer. The chocolate is mild as well, and kind of like a fudge brownie. What I'm not finding is the "barrel". There might be a little bit of oaky dryness in the finish, or that might just be the dryness from the acidity, but either way it doesn't stand out. Maybe they're using old barrels that they've gone through before, which would be nice from an environmentalist's view as they're reusing, but if it's not contributing what's the point? OR, maybe I'm just missing it. Throw into the mix that it's just 4.3% ABV and you've got a very mild beer here. It's very drinkable in that there's nothing holding you back from having more like a bold bitterness or strong alcohol, but there's also not a lot or reason to want to drink another. Unfortunate. I was expecting more from a "barrel aged" sour. Maybe next time.

3.96/5  rDev +6.2%

Color is very dark brown almost pitch with slight ruby hues to the base very odd for such a light ABV. Head is also slight just a 1/4 inch that fades to next to nothing. Smell is a mixed bag sour but nutty with a stout like roast to it. Taste is good mix of slight stout goodness mixed with some sour wild ale brett. Body is light but with the mix of interesting flavors it never gets boring.

Overall can't say I have had too many barrel aged sours since they are usually expensive but this is a decent if not session able alternative.

3.47/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Boulevard's Show Me Sour for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I was a little confused when I looked at the price and saw it was so cheap for a Barrel Aged sour and I'm very interested to see what they have to offer at this price point, so lets see how it goes. 2017 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a teku.

A- The label looks ok, it's a little on the plain side and it isn't too eye catching. It poured a darker brown color that didn't change when held to the light and it had almost two fingers of bubbly and fluffy tan head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left hardly any lacing behind. This is a nice looking beer, but I wish the head retention and lacing were a little better.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with some fruity aromas being the first to show up and they impart some dark fruit aroma with no single fruit seeming to stick out the most and it has a little bit of a watery aspect to it. Up next comes just a slight bit of funky yeast which is just a little noticeable and it goes into a light tart aroma. Towards the end comes the malts which impart some dark malt, light chocolate, roasted malts and grainy aroma and towards the end there's a little bit of smokey and woody aroma. This beer has a decent aroma, but I don't think that all the aspects come together that well.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but it has better balance and it's a little bolder, it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the fruits still showing up first and this time they are brighter and show up a little more while impart a little more of a tart cherry flavor that goes into a lower amount of sourness with just a slight of funky yeast and it leads into the malts which are lighter than they were in the aroma and they aren't a roasted. Towards the end there's just a slight woody flavor that is barely noticeable and on the finish there's a little lingering sourness with just a little more sweetness and it had a fruit, sour and slightly malty aftertaste. This is a nice tasting beer, but I wish the barrel stood out a little more with some more funky yeast.

M- Fairly smooth, a little crisp, slightly refreshing, not too mouth puckering, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel is pretty nice and it works well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and it's a fairly solid example of the style, it's a little tamer than most sours, but most of the key flavors are there and it could be a little better if more yeast and barrel flavors came through. This beer had decent drinkability, one is a good amount for me. What I like the most about this beer is the mouthfeel, it's pretty nice and it didn't have negative aspects. What I like the least about this beer was of lack of barrel aged and funky yeast flavors. I would buy this beer again when looking for a solid and cheap sour, but it isn't anything that I would stock up on. I would recommend checking it out if you want a sour that's a little on the lighter side and it won't break the bank. All in all I liked this beer, but I didn't love it and I think if they worked on a couple of the aspects it would be one of the cheapest sours. It's not a favorite Boulevard beer and it's a solid example of the style. Nice job guys, this was better than I thought it would be, keep up the hard work.

3.74/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. Best by? July 17th 2017.

Quite an extremely dark brew, nearly black and totally opaque looking. Faint hint of khaki head but leaves only a collar with no retention. A populated bullseye makes a good appearance and gives the impression the beer is still alive.

Kind of a little odd aroma. Very nutty smelling and porter like roast qualities. Mild sensing acidity, but nor particularly sour smelling. Definitely a real nice nutty very hazelnut and creamy tones though. Very enjoyable but kind of odd in a way.

Palate is a bit unexpected. Porter light, and very session like tasting leaving for a weaker presence on the brew. More of that nutty tones, but also more tangy sourness that is more prominent on the palate as opposed to the nose. Good charcoal angle light, and with a kind of crackling porter like roast quality too.

Different angle, but this doesn't make much pleasure for me in terms of malt and yeasty tang, or particularly roasty body. Otherwise it's fine for what it is.

3.52/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

really unimpressive sour beer here, sort of bland tasting, a little sharp on the acidity, oddly under flavored for what it is, and just really not that good. especially surprising for the folks who do saison brett and the love child series to not be able to execute a beer like this any better. darker in color with a little bit of chocolate malt character, but lacking the depth of something like an oud bruin. a little vinegar sourness here, sort of mucky bacterial, astringent, with a little dried fruit, raisin and cherry juice. its not bad, but its not cohesive or unique the way i hoped it would be, and reminds me a little more of the funky or funkier pumpkin than it does of their more refined brett and sour beers. a little flat in the mouthfeel, not quite enough body for what it is, and overall just a lackluster beer from these guys, i kind of get why it was a one and done. not bad, but also not great, i had much higher hopes for this one. this seems to me to be well below their quality standards overall. could use more of the barrel flavors i think. forgettable, especially given side projects involvement...

3.02/5  rDev -19%

From the neck: L021717 1121 E 17JUL2017"

Appearance: It pours dark brown into a black body with a light khaki head that fades almost instantly. For a beer that is marked at only 4.3% ABV (as indicated by the bottle) it is surprising at how quickly the head fades compared to much higher ABV counterparts. What is left is a glassy onyx surface. No head retention and no lacing.

Aroma: It has a light coffee aroma. It is very light. I get a bit of burnt popcorn way in the back as well.

Taste: The sourness hits the tongue up front, and then it is followed by a light bit of burnt caramel flavor and an ashy finish.

Mouthfeel: The beer starts out sour and it finishes soft and mellow. If the beer is sipped fast the tartness lasts almost the duration of the sip but if it is sipped slow then there is this lingering softness across the palate. Overall it is an enjoyable beer to drink that can cater to both, those who want a softer drinking experience and those who want it a bit harsher.

Overall: The beer is interesting but it also seems to be lacking. It says that it is "barrel aged" in big bold letters but was the intent to have char from the barrel or wood? I don't pick up any wood at all. The beer is sour but it feels a bit at odds with itself given some of the more burnt and ashy flavors of the beer. For some reason this beer does conjure memories of the book "Something Wicked This Way Comes" by Ray Bradbury. Perhaps it is the mix of ashy and sour characters of the beer or maybe it is the Ferris Wheel displayed on the front. In any case I would probably drink this beer again in the Fall because it just feels like a "Fall Beer." It's worth giving it a try if you like sours or even odd beers, but I wouldn't expect a lot of wood character from the barrel aging.

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: chocolate-brown with ruby hues. The head is minimal with poor retention. The bubbles are extremely fine, like nitro, but exist only at the edge of the glass.

Aroma: there is very little present. May a slight bit of coffee (“slight” still being generous) and oak with only a suggestion of sour. No Brett funk.

Flavor: really all that is present is the sour and some dark roast malts. No Brett funk of any depth of flavor. If not for the description on the label, I’d suspect this was kettle soured.

Mouthfeel: thin like water, literally.

Overall: this is truly an underwhelming beer. I’m so happy I only paid for a 5oz sample rather than a 750ml. There is too little going on with this beer. This is a collaboration with Side Project, which also reflects poorly on them. Skip this beer.

3.53/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into Willybecher glass best by date of 7/17/17

A: Very small stark white head that disappears quickly. Body is a dark brown almost black with very little light pushing in at the edges.

S: Light figs and raisins light cherry a wheat smell as well some light oak

T: Lots if oak a little toffee some very mild tartness light cherry a little fig still a good dose of wheat.

M: Lighter body to a touch watery with moderate carbonation.

O: Nothing really stands out about this beer, you have a lot of mild flavors that don't work bad together but really don't meld together to make anything noteworthy. I am not sure what they were shooting for, but this is not offensive enough to make even the most easily offended person care about it.

3.54/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Deep Deep brown in color with minimal head and lacing. Aromas of sweet malt and wet leather.Ttaste is nice with a sweet mALT and wet leather feel, sourness is good but somewhat shortlived. Overall a good sour but shortlived as far as the MF and finish goes. Decent beer and one that I would continue to drink !

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Show Me Sour from Boulevard Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 85 out of 100 with 134 ratings