Haulin' Oats

Notes:
Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 6
4.01/5  rDev +1.5%

12 oz can.

Black and opaque. Large, creamy, dark tan head that persisted for several minutes and left a fair amount of lacing on the glass. A really great looking beer!

Roasted malt, coffee, and chocolate aroma and flavor. Not much in the way of hops to speak of. Finishes very sweet from the lactose addition. Medium-full bodied and creamy.

This is a really nice sweet stout that has no shortage of sweetness. Easily my favorite of the four Crooked Hammock beers I tried.

3.79/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Crowler 2 days after fill (plus in tap at brewery):
Pours very dark, easily near black. Head is a nice brown, lasts decently well and provides a smattering of lacing.

Nose is roasted nuts, brown toast, and a mild sweetness that evokes a hint of a dark hot chocolate.

Taste is a little sweeter than some stouts, the lactose playing a bigger roll than others I've had. There's a resemblance to a dark chocolate covered sugar cone. The roasted notes play in the background, coming out a little more later in the taste when the oat flavor and feel comes along. However, if I had to choose a single flavor, it'd be dark chocolate.

I sort of enjoyed the sweetness playing with the oat and roast, though it does catch up to me by the end of a glass, when I find myself wishing for a little more roasted or other bitterness.

Haulin' Oats from Crooked Hammock Brewery