Alaskan Billiken Bitter Ale | Alaskan Brewing Co.

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Alaskan Brewing Co.
Alaska, United States | website

Style: Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB)

Added by Bitterbill on 05-25-2013

Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 6
3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

I had this on-tap in an interesting Dogfish Head pint glass at Special Brews in Lynnwood, WA.

Appearance: medium orange with a moderate haze and a somewhat strong effervescence. Head is a finger of creamy tan foam. Spot-on for the style.

Smell: lightly sweet and bitter aroma. Nice, but a bit low-intensity.

Taste: sweet with a prickly, toasty malt character and some raspy, herbal hops. Bitterness is pretty high. I feel like this flavor profile isn't normally my bag, but that it's working very well here. Rough-around-the-edges, but better than the caramel-sweet examples of the style. Good stuff.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a good carbonation and creaminess. Quite good.

Overall: perhaps nontraditional, but a good example of the style. I like it quite a lot.

3.9/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Rough draft. Export series.

Off white beige head. Color is an amber copper.

Flavor reminds me a bit of furious. Very juicy in the hop profile. Grapefruit citrus.
Earthy and floral. Touch of pine. Very hoppy. Malt profile is really nice. A touch of bread and a touch of spice. Reminds me of rye.

Mouthfeel: bitter and smooth. Medium bodied.

Overall, I liked this much more than I expected I would.
Very flavorful and easy to drink. I recommend this one.

4.01/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A- pours a hazy deep amber, 1" head of foam, good lacing.

S- lots of citrus aromas, close to equal amount of malt...I get notes of bread and caramel. This smells GREAT.

T- starts off hoppy with notes of grapefruit, a bit of pine, moves to an earthy malt character, some bread, not much carmel malt sweetness that I think, would be more to my liking. Especially for the style.

M- medium for both the body and the carbonation.

O- an enjoyable brew but I think a stronger malt profile would give me what I hoped for. Definitely worthy of a try.

Alaskan Billiken Bitter Ale from Alaskan Brewing Co.