Axe Head Malt Liquor | Minhas Craft Brewery

1.96/5
Alströms:

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

2.29/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.25

Initially poured from 40 into a pint glass (just because I sorta feel I have too…), but then drank the rest from the bottle as it actually should taken down.

Appearance – The beer pours a golden straw color with a tiny fizzy white head. The head fades very fast to leave a hint of foam on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma of the brew is strongest of a mix of corn, hot booze, and a little bit of caramel.

Taste – The taste begins much less boozy then I was anticipating from the nose with it being mostly of a corn taste mixed with some sweetness of corn syrup and caramel. As the taste advances some of the sweetness fades all while the corniness gets stronger and is joined by some musty tastes. Toward the end some of the booze hits the tongue, but overall remains rather light (for a malt at 11% abv.) and ends up leaving one with a stale corn taste to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel - The body of the brew is on the slightly more watery side with a carbonation level that is rather high. For the high gravity malt liquor the feel is spot on and helps to create a more easy drinking brew overall.

Overall – For an 11% malt I was expecting a booze bomb, but really it was not all that hot. It certainly was more easy drinking then I was anticipating.

1.6/5  rDev -18.4%

I really hate having to give this a negative review, the Minhas Brewery probably did try so I will try to be constructive, and I don't think my beer is spoiled, but it is kind of revolting compared to competing tallboys.

When I pour it, it is about the color of a dehydrated piss (fair enough, what lager isn't?), there is almost no head as it dissipates in a nanosecond.

The smell is reminiscent of malt vinegar and thus smells more stale than it really is.

The taste is also kind of vinegar. Perhaps the brewery is letting too much oxygen in early on in the brewing process? I don't know where people are detecting hints of nuts and fruits, I can see maybe green apple, but I think that may be more due to the resulting tartness (and not a hoppy tartness) than actual apples being used. I am sure that it is not stale, but it isn't very pleasant (compared to competing products, there are cheap "high gravity(alcohol)" beers that I do like).

The feel of the beer is strong, bitter (in an astringent vinegar way, not a hops way), and hot, like siphoning gasoline if gasoline had a good amount of carbonation. The liquid itself is as thin as water.

The alcohol content hits like a few shots of tequila (I forced myself to drink this in case it's an "acquired taste" thing) but if you can afford to get decent tequila, pass on this beer.

I wouldn't buy this again but if I someone offered it to me I would make sure that was ice cold and chug it like I would a gatorade after exercise. I made the mistake of sipping this slowly enough for the chill to fade, not exactly the best way to consume a lager, especially not this one...

It's not liquid evil, but I had far better options to choose from and am glad that I only bought one of these...

It is still far superior in taste to the Steven Seagal energy drink.

1.9/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

This beer was purchased at the Minhas brewery, after listing to an hour of propaganda about the quality ingredients and care that goes into their brewing process. Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is green apples, burnt tobacco. Taste is green apples, alcohol, gasoline, cigarette ash, more alcohol. Feels light and putrid in the mouth and overall is a disgrace of a "beer".

1.24/5  rDev -36.7%

Served ice cold.

A 3 finger head forms and a slightly swirly honey colored body forms. 90% transparent. Head leaves a ring on top.

The aroma is Brown sugar, baked malts, honey, squirts of orange, orange peel. This is met with a harsh metallic antiseptic note on the end of the smell. (***As it is tasted, all of this turns to smelling like a soggy rotten russet potato, score adjusted)

Taste is um....disgustingly complex. Or complexly disgusting. Like clinical depression. A sickly sweet banana bread/peel starts it off, followed by vinegar and fructose (think of meatloaf and ketchup), and an uncanny resemblance to a shot of cheap vodka finishing out the profile. Some lingering soppy brown bread crusts and more vodka. This is seriously bad.

The feel may even be worse, with a stinging carbonation, and a dry alcohol finish that actually chaps the throat and makes me raspy. RASPY. And suddenly, now I'm getting heartburn. I want to vote this category negative. Mods...?

Overall, this is one of the most disgusting beers on the face of this planet. I should have never trusted the mohawk guy. I think this was brewed with vodka. Or else vodka was added afterwards. It's like horrid, putrid, expired Hurricane mixed with several glugs of McCormick's or Skol. It's what a soul-less one night stand tastes like.

Hatred and depression do not even begin to define the way I feel about this beer.

1.3/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Hairspray-like alcohol, old, brown banana, slight caramel and unbelievably sweetness. Not the worst malt liquor, but its certainly fight hard for the title.

1.18/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

1.84/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

24 oz can into a wine glass. Pinkies out.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color. The head is a finger high and white in shade. Retention isn't very special, but hey it's 11%. Some specks of lacing are left on the glass. (3.75)

Smell: Huge, massive sugar notes are coming through. I'm also picking up some sherry oxidation, paired with some booziness. The alcohol comes through the more it opens up - ergo, drink it cold. It smells mediocre rather than hateful, I must say... (2.75)

Taste: Big sweetness comes out first, bringing notes of apple, caramel, and nuttiness. The finish is very boozy, natch. Holy crap, is it boozy. Not likable by any means. One good note about this malt likka are the restrained adjuncts - it tastes more like a bad strong ale than a bad malt likka. The shittiness of this beer sneaks up on me, rather than hitting me like a sack of bricks. (1.5)

Mouthfeel: Big, heavy, sweet, and massive. And ridiculously boozy, too. At least something like Steel Reserve can be willed down easily. This almost seems under-carbonated for a malt likka, too. Just a total chore to drink. (1.5)

Overall: Yep, it sucks ass. Which begs the question, why did I buy this beer? Total bile fascination, that's why. Well, I'm here to tell you guys: drink something else. SNPA, Guinness, Stella Artois, Steel Reserve, anything. I guarantee it will be better than this crap. Next! (1.5)

1.75/5: What the hell is wrong with me, intentionally buying bad beer?

1.48/5  rDev -24.5%

1.09/5  rDev -44.4%

Worst Malt Liqour i've ever tasted and i drink alot of malt liqours. Not very fizzy and the taste is reminiscent of pure failure. I keep re-trying to buy this and give it more chances and have only been able to finish it once. Not recommended. Better to pound 2 40 oz Colt 45's than this.

1.5/5  rDev -23.5%

3.28/5  rDev +67.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Minhas Craft Brewery "Axe Head Malt Liquor"
24 oz. "King Can", coded "13 194 21"
$1.59 @ Stop N Shop Liquor, Camden, NJ

Appearance: Deep golden in color bordering on orange in a full glass. Hazy. Very little bright white head subsides quickly. No lacing is left behind.

Smell: Surprisingly malty - I wonder if that's from oxidation. Some alcohol at 11.0% abv. Some fruity esters.

Taste: The alcohol is much more evident in the taste. Remains surprisingly malty... I'm guessing that maybe they're using less adjunct than the big boys do. Sweetish as well... almost a bit like unfermented wort. The expected yeasty fruitiness rounds it out with notes of grape, white raisins, and apple (maybe even grape jelly). Some phenols are present as well (clove?). Bitterness is kept to a minimum, and it's barely needed as the alcohol more than balances it, stepping over the edge and giving it a ragged burn at the end.

Mouthfeel: Delicately fizzy, dull carbonation. Medium-full bodied with a dextrinous edge. Alcohol is apparent as well. So... soft, but with a slap of sharpness and a little bite?

Overall: More interesting than many of the mainstream malt liquors out there, but not nearly as refined. Sloppily hot with alcohol, yet there's still some charm to it.

1.74/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

24 ounce can:

Pours chill-hazed golden with a white head that descends to a lasting wispy island. Some lacing sticks.

Smells like typical, "cheap" malt liquor - corn, husk booze. The booze runs the show here. There is something reminiscent of standing near a gasoline pump. Unpleasant.

The taste is even worse. Very sweet. Cheap booze (rubbing alcohol and bandaids?), buttered corn and veggies. Fizzy, but not overly so for the style, allowing for some slickness.

Sweet, raw, and boozy, this is not enjoyable, and pretty tough to get through until about half-way through when the objective becomes to just finish it.

Warning: the side-effects of this could be as bad as the brew itself.

There are better, smoother, malt liquors out there.

3.66/5  rDev +86.7%

Picked this up for a buck and a laugh back in 2011, decided NYE was a suitable occasion to crack it.

Well, let's get it cracking.

Minhas
Axe Head
Malt Liquor
King Can
2011
Jolly Pumpkin Berlin Goblet

A: Pours a clear golden yellow. Big head, really- about 2.5 fingers. Retention is really impressive, too. It reduced to a ring over time, but it still looks good. Fluffy. Nice lacing. Uncharacteristic for the style, and certainly for the ABV.

S: When I first poured it, all I could get was cornmeal, wet slate, and fusel alcohol, but as it warmed up- okay, this is weird, but I got a lot of really nice grape/raisin notes and some nuttiness, too. Still with corniness, but pleasant. Impressive.

T: Woah! Okay- super sweet and a little spicy. A little bite to it, but not so unpleasant. The alcohol doesn't actually make a nuisance of itself. Kind of peanutty and grapey... White raisins... Corn as well, but like in the nose, not so unpleasant or out of control. It almost tastes like an abt. A good one. Quelle bizarre.

M: Extremely smooth for what it is and how high the abv is. Light carbonation. Medium-full body. Very drinkable, unqualified with any sort of "*for an 11% malt liquor" footnotes. This just drinks well.

O: This was really impressive and I'm hoping to find it again some day. A year and some change must have done it a world of good, looking at these other reviews, because this isn't bad at all, I'd say.

3.75/5  rDev +91.3%

For a malt liquor that clocks in at 11 percent alcohol, I expected a very rough and quite frankly unpleasant experience. Curiosity got the better of me, however, and I cracked open the tallboy and prepared myself for the worst. Instead of revulsion, I was greeted by a sweet, fruity smell wafting from the opening. I didn't pour it into a glass, but drank it from a can as I normally do, so I didn't get the greatest look at the color, although it appeared to be a nice golden hue.
The real surprise was the taste. It wasn't the rocket fuel, sour apple concoction that I expected it to be, not at all. Rather, I would have to compare it to a sort of microbrew, as it leaves a pleasant aftertaste on the palate. It was frosty cold, which likely helped out in the flavor department, but even as it warmed, the swill was thoroughly enjoyable. The price was absolutely unbeatable, at just over a dollar for 24 ounces. A great value, and a pretty darn tasty brew. I would give Axe Head an honest recommendation, especially for those on a budget who want a nice drinking experience.

2.77/5  rDev +41.3%

No known freshness dating.
Bottle stamped
13 172 06

A= Pours a pale yellow color with a thin almost nonexistant head that falls fast and leaves little lacing.

S= Smells like malt liquor. Sweet corn and rocket fuel. This is the fuck up juice as we called it in the hood.

T= Tastes like a malt liquor of course. Sweet corn and alcohol pretty much. Typical of malt liquors.

M= Mouth is a little light on the bubbles for a malt liquor.

O= This is a typical malt liquor. Union made as the label says so I'm guessing secretly the quality is even shittier than normal. Lets get black out drunk.

1.67/5  rDev -14.8%

I can't take credit for this, "tastes like cheap vodka, Belgian candy sugar and corn on the cob". Yup that's pretty much it.
Looks just like malt liquor should. Smell is quite horrendous.
One redeeming quality is the sugar flavor takes on a nice hint of caramel in some pulls that wasn't really all that bad, but it's surrounded by so much awfulness that I'm not sure it's worth it. So busy being offended by the taste that I can't remember what the feel was like.
Pretty much undrinkable - and I rarely pour out beer (too much Lutheran guilt, I guess), but this one made the grade.
Gee thanks T for this one. And we still get to work through another bottle.

1.51/5  rDev -23%

Novelty buy (aren't they all) for $1.38 at Trixie's in Madison. Apparently this is a hot seller there...

Pours into a Hamms goblet a pale anemic yellow, slow trails of carbonation rising up. Audibly fizzy head of white foam that fades after 30 seconds. There is some sparse lacing, but who cares, this is bonafide crunk juice.

Super sweet candy banana aroma when the can is opened, then the aroma takes a turn for the purple. Grape candy to be specific. So you have a grape-banana candy drink, that is Axe Head. Some dishrag notes of minerals and musty soggy grain, but the candy sweetness overpowers that.

Tastes like one too many nutrasweets dumped into a apple-grape juice box. Yuck is about all I can say. Thick and syrupy, coats the mouth and just about makes me gag. Once it numbs the palate it goes down easier, but that just doesn't sound right. Doesn't taste right either. Harshly astringent and gag-inducingly sweet. Way too much residual sugar. As it warms up the alcohol rears its ugly head, so drink as cold as possible, or just avoid it.

Simply put, this is gross, poorly made garbage to numb your brain with.
Wouldn't expect anything less from Minhas...

1.41/5  rDev -28.1%

Reviewed from notes.

A. Pale straw yellow with a fizzy two finger head that dissolves to nothing in thirty seconds, no lacing left behind.

S. Heavy solvents. Almost turpentine-like aroma floating on top of a scent of partially rotten cooked corn.

T. A sugary mess of swamp-gassy fruit and corn grist. Horrible fusel alcohols blow the back of your head off. Not good. This one was definitely designed with the express purpose of getting people drunk for cheap and with no real consideration for anything else.

M. Kind of soda-like at first but the carbonation goes flat in record time for some unknown reason. Medium body, but the level of boozey hotness strips all the moisture out of my mouth. There's boozey, and than there's this monstrosity.

4.5/5  rDev +129.6%

From the 24oz can (I also have a 40, but haven't cracked it yet)

I bottom opened it and poured into a Bud "Bow Tie glass" There appears to be no head at all, and it is a very deep amber color

This baby smelled like straight up booze. Bordering on rubbing alcohol

The taste is far above par for such a high abv ML. I truly mean that this is smooth. Compare it to the likes of 211 and you will be impressed.

It went down extremely smooth and produced an ample, but not over-the-top buzz.

Overall, I'd recommend this to anyone wanting to try a "craft malt liquor"

Now, I can't wait to crack open the 40oz!!!

1.99/5  rDev +1.5%

Thanks for sharing, Bobby.

Pours yellow in color with a short lived white head. An impressively sweet aroma of corn and grains. Definitely quite a bit of booze on the nose as well. Impressive... The flavor is also intensely sweet, far too much for my liking. Boozy and appley, too. On the fuller side for a malt liquor with high carbonation.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast