Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)
Minhas Craft Brewery

Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker

Reviews: 183 | Ratings: 524 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
BNSlums from Washington

2.8/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Like others, 12oz can from Trader Joe's, dateless. Poured into rose glass.
L: Light brown, caramel color with a tall foamy not retentive white head. Not many bubbles present, they all shot to the top.
S: Caramelly, stale bread, and malty on the nose, a bit burnt, perhaps some nut or banana involved. The smells grows on me as I whiff.
T: Flat, stale holiday bread. More banana and burnt caramel. It tastes like it wants to be much more than it is, flavor uncomplex but not gross.
F: Oily and undeveloped, slips right off the tongue.
Overall, this beer I would not order, as there are more splendid alternatives, but if offered one I would not turn it down. The smell is the one redeeming quality here, otherwise it is a bit of a letdown.

Oct 01, 2020
jimmah120 from Minnesota

3.79/5  rDev +40.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz can from joe's, no date

Looks and smells great, sweet smelling and malty, herbal hops in the background. Drinking it from the can, it's boozy with dulled hops and the sweet taste of honey long into the finish

Unfairly savaged on here by the snobs. This may be a malt bomb, but it's a damn good one

Aug 25, 2020
RobBeerGuy from Michigan

1.15/5  rDev -57.2%

Bought it at Trader Joes. Thought maybe a bargain. No sir. Stuck with these and I down them only for the 8.5%, nothing like a IPA. Putrid taste that is heavy and just wallows in Your stomach. But 8.5%, so they say. Only 1 left to drink then never again. Boatswain. Taste like the side of a boat

Aug 15, 2020
BooSTedxFord from Arizona

Found this at Trader Joe’s and thought 5 bucks for a 6 pack of double IPA? Why not? My first drink was my last drink, I’m not the type to pour a beer down the sink but with this one I had to. It does not taste like an IPA whatsoever. No hoppy taste or citrus taste or anything. Taste like a 20 dollar 6 pack of Beligian beer. So if you like Belgians you’ll like this but don’t expect an IPA flavor

Jun 15, 2020
irs from New Jersey

3.38/5  rDev +25.7%

$5 for 6. 8.4% ABV. You can't be expecting much. And you won't be disappointed, as long as you're not expecting much. Its an acceptable way to get buzzed. Nothing more, but nothing less.
But no, bears absolutely no resemblance to any Double IPA I know.

May 30, 2020
mwolfe38

2.7/5  rDev +0.4%

As pretty much everyone has pointed out, this is not an IPA or anything even remotely resembling an IPA. If you were looking forward to drinking a nice double IPA with hops, citrus, bright but delcious biterness, etc, you will be very disappointed.

On the flip side, it's not THAT bad of a beer. Just close your eyes and pretend you are drinking an exotic, rare belgian beer that you paid $25 for, as opposed to some cheap TJ beer that sells for like $1 a can. If you are able to reframe your entire existence, including everything you have learned about this world up to this point, you may just fine this beer is enjoyable. Cheers.

Apr 24, 2020
mschenk from Virginia

2.68/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Purchased at TJ. Is very inexpensive and I guess you get what you pay for

Pours a clear deep amber. Has a nice sized head with huge bubbles

Does not smell like an IPA

Does not taste like an IPA, more of a Belgian

Feel is average

I guess it is better than Budwiser so for the price okay but I will be staying away from this in the future

Apr 07, 2020
heho0732 from Connecticut

1.69/5  rDev -37.2%

I’m not sure what to say. My roommates and I have argued about this one a lot and really all come to the same conclusion. This isn’t an IPA. Pours like an IPA, looks like an IPA but smells like a beligian that went bad and tastes like nothing on the beer market. It’s as if the brewer has too much pride to change his recipe. I can’t imagine anyone liking this
beer... It’s just a really bad lager with too much alcohol... why call it a DIPA??

Mar 21, 2020
bfrank8 from Illinois

4.28/5  rDev +59.1%

Reminds me of Flying Dog Raging Bitch. Belgium malty, sweet, high abv IPA! I really like this style. It of course is not quite as good as Raging B, but it's close and half the price...

Feb 08, 2020
Abraxos77 from California

3.59/5  rDev +33.5%

Ok,wasn't expecting much from my prior experiences with Minhas Brewery. Was pleasantly surprised,actually,as the Twin Screw really is a compliment to the brewery...The ABV of 8.4 made me think what I was getting was more like Malt Liquor and in ways I was right,but malt liquor that is far more refined than your average 40. I really like it and I won't apologize...it has some weirdness to it (not a bad thing) hops that seem distant and malt that seems slightly over-the-top but for 4.99..HEY! TJ's does it again...I will definitely keep it on my shopping list.3 of these and it's a party.LOL.

Jan 15, 2020
richalaskan

4.28/5  rDev +59.1%

whoever compared this to an imperial stout was correct in that some imperial stouts are balanced and not deeply colored. I could not call it a double ipa since it seems to have no relation to the current rage for dominant floral hops or unpleasant bitterness, which I would not call beer. this a very well-balanced ale with a wide range of hop and malt nose and tongue notes that evolve as the beer warms and releases various esters, phenolics, etc that can only come from an ale. drink this beer starting from ice-cold and make it last to room temp for a multidimensional experience. leave a very small amount in the glass and continue to sniff. those who rate it low must be unfamiliar with anything beyond overwhelming modern hop bombs. if you want mango, grapefruit, pine resin, citrus, etc, go elsewhere to the many "craft" ipas or fruit juices. I buy this frequently at Trader Joe's-the price is incredible compared to many of the beers available-and it is a great adjunct to my normal diet of expensive "crankcase oil" malty ales.

Jan 14, 2020
ToddAxeBeer from Minnesota

3.34/5  rDev +24.2%

I bought three of these at TJ's. The cash register person at TJ's said her boyfriend did not like this beer. I assumed I was not going to like it because I drink a lot of big name, little name, and everything in between IPA. I won't serve it to my IPA friends but will let them try it. It actually reminded my of Surly Furious (with a hint of Fat Tire). I had two of these and was done drinking beer for the night (weeknight). I think I will buy a few more and see if it is consistent with the first few I bought. $.84 for a DIPA? I have spent a lot more for a lot less.

Sep 27, 2019
SvenGolly from California

1.66/5  rDev -38.3%

A tale of two beers with the same label.

Something has changed in the last year. I bought a 6'er of this at Trader Joe's and ended up pouring the first can I opened down the drain. It was horrible. Like fermented caramel bananas with no hops. I actually returned the remaining 5 cans to TJs and they gave me my money back. Then I went to my beer fridge and found I still had a can left from maybe 9 months ago in the back corner. Decided to open it and OMG what a difference. The old version isn't a great beer but it's totally drinkable versus the current swill. Definitely more in line with type description as an American Imperial IPA.

Also, I don't get why this in under Minhas Craft Brewery when Rhinelander is on the label (at least on my old can). While Minhas bought the original Joseph Huber company and equipment (which brewed Rhinelander), according to Wikipedia, Jyoti Auluck bought the Rhinelander brand and started from scratch. So I think these need to be separated away from Minhas.

Jun 09, 2019
WEGJART19 from Washington

1.37/5  rDev -49.1%

So I think problem this beer right off the bat, is it's called a Double IPA and not something else like a scotch or brandy beer. Poured into a cold glass from cheap Trader Joes can (and yes this is only $5 a 6 pack or else I would or nobody else would be drinking it) - with about 1/2" of foam. Smells sweet, pungent, fruity, like 'nanners, tastes sweet, strong of alcohol and pungent like scotch or brandy. While this feels like a crafted beer, to me, I don't like scotch or brandy beers, and this is one of the worst beers I ever tasted, give me a bud light instead.

Feb 20, 2019
itshut from Washington

2.74/5  rDev +1.9%

this stuff tastes like bananas. It was my first thought and now i can’t untaste it. $5 for 6 pack of 8.4% beer is a great deal and it honestly isn’t bad but it doesn’t taste like an IPA at all. smooth for 8.4%. would recommend to broke college kid like me but not ipa beer dads.

Feb 07, 2019
PaddyKelly from New York

1.22/5  rDev -54.6%

I've got to start reading the Beer Advocate reviews before buying beer. You got to make a special effort to make a beer so bad. It's beyond belief that the makers of this "drink" looked at each other and said "excellent! this will make us rich". I also bought Boatswain HLV ale, which is not quite as bad. OK, I figured out what happened. They made the IPA simply to make the ale not seem so bad. There can't be any other possible reason.

I'm supposed to describe the taste. Words fail me. Just bad, medicine bad. The stuff you take and say "this is so awful it must be doing me good". Except no person ever was made better by this dreadful liquid.

Not really recommended.

Feb 03, 2019
Joebeer1313 from California

One of my all time favorites. I LOVE this beer. I recommend drinking it super cold, it's just an amazing beer. Thick,tasty,smooth,and super strong too 8.4% alcohol. You will LOVE this but it needs to be super ÇOLD.
P.S. make sure you buy the RED CAN Boatswain and you don't confuse it with the blue can Botswain. Don't buy the blue can boatswain that one sucks.

Jan 09, 2019
northwestdr from Washington

3.09/5  rDev +14.9%

Purchased at Trader Joe's and poured from a can into a pint glass. (I have also had it from a 22-ounce bottle, and I actually preferred it when bottled.) According to the label, it is from Rhinelander Brewing Company of Monroe, Wisconsin. I do not know whether Rhinelander and Minhas are the same company...

The beer is fairly clear and a golden copper color. It have above-average carbonation with a tall head, although the head disperses fairly quickly. As with nearly all Imperial IPAs, it feels somewhat viscous or syrupy. Overall, I like the taste. It's less hoppy and less bitter than the average Imperial IPA, especially when compared with specimens from Cali/Oregon/Washington, but there is enough hop character to satisfy me. It's sweeter and slightly more malty/caramelly than many I have tasted. The canned version does have a slight hint of metal, not perceived in the bottled version.

Overall, this Imperial IPA is in the average range, perhaps slightly above average. A bargain for it's inexpensive cost at TJ's. Note: I like it far better than the Boatswain American IPA (in the blue can).

Dec 04, 2018
Sally-the-drinker from District of Columbia

2.97/5  rDev +10.4%

Beer has a caramel and orange color with a small head when poured. Smell has light caramel undertones to it with a caramel aftertaste. Smooth feel with little hops or carbonation. Respectable beer for its price, $4.99 for a 6-pack, and for its alcohol content, 8.4%. Would buy again if I want a decent beer at a good price.

Nov 14, 2018
jmbranum from Oklahoma

3.79/5  rDev +40.9%

Bought at Trader Joe's in OKC for $4.99 for a 6 pack of cans --- the cheapest beer I've bought in a long, long time.

Is this a great beer? No. It has too much malt and doesn't have enough interesting hops to be a DIPA in my opinion. And more than a bit unbalanced. Way too sweet IMHO.

But is it an astoundingly good value? YES (which gave it a good half point bump on all categories)

A giant leap forward when it comes to affordable yet tasty beers.

Positives - high ABV (definitely in the winter warmer territory, which is nice on a cold day like this), rich and plenty of malts.

Negatives - Not true to style. Maybe better labeled as a hop-heavy Belgian.

But.. I come back to the price! That forgives all of the problems in my book.

Nov 12, 2018
macnorma from New Hampshire

3.13/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

I agree with those who mention this beer is mislabeled. Sure tastes like no DIPA I've had. I would love to see the grain bill and yeast. Definitely tastes more like a strong Belgian.
That being said, calling it a Belgian makes me rate this beer higher and throw in the low cost factor; but not too much so.

Sep 28, 2018
Munka from Massachusetts

2.82/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

This beer is not an IPA or even a double IPA in my opinion. The taste is sweet and syrupy, no fruitiness or bitterness you'd expect from an IPA, and the smell has a strong alcohol note to it. The ABV of an IIPA is there but the look and taste is not. A cheap beer I'd accept if offered, nothing more nothing less

Sep 19, 2018
dkoehler42 from New York

3.03/5  rDev +12.6%

This beer pours a pleasing copper Amber color with white head. The smell is lacking, but the flavor isn't bad. I'd like it to be a little stronger, but I do taste the hops. It may be closer to a regular IPA than a double IPA as far as bitterness.

Sep 07, 2018
BeerSnobHater from California

3.2/5  rDev +19%

I have been known to bring a few cans of this beer along when I hike into a swimmn' hole or ski the backcountry. Don't have to bring more than 3 - It's a buzz in a can ... and I have consumed many over the last few years. A very good value and very drinkable. The only time I've seen what the looks like is when I spilled it on the snow; a medium reddish amber. Smell doesn't put me off as I raise the can to my lips. Taste is not really that of a double IPA, the malt kinda overpowers the hops so it's a bit sweet, not so bitter. Feels just fined going down - average head (no sex jokes, please).

Aug 28, 2018
Tcull123 from New York

3.24/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Strong coriander flavor. Doesn't taste like an ipa. More of a Belgian style strong. Could be smoother, but for 84 cents a can, it's a decent beer for sure.

Jul 25, 2018