Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)
Minhas Craft Brewery

Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker

Poor
Notes:
Reviews: 172 | Ratings: 507 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.34/5  rDev +24.6%

I bought three of these at TJ's. The cash register person at TJ's said her boyfriend did not like this beer. I assumed I was not going to like it because I drink a lot of big name, little name, and everything in between IPA. I won't serve it to my IPA friends but will let them try it. It actually reminded my of Surly Furious (with a hint of Fat Tire). I had two of these and was done drinking beer for the night (weeknight). I think I will buy a few more and see if it is consistent with the first few I bought. $.84 for a DIPA? I have spent a lot more for a lot less.

1.66/5  rDev -38.1%

A tale of two beers with the same label.

Something has changed in the last year. I bought a 6'er of this at Trader Joe's and ended up pouring the first can I opened down the drain. It was horrible. Like fermented caramel bananas with no hops. I actually returned the remaining 5 cans to TJs and they gave me my money back. Then I went to my beer fridge and found I still had a can left from maybe 9 months ago in the back corner. Decided to open it and OMG what a difference. The old version isn't a great beer but it's totally drinkable versus the current swill. Definitely more in line with type description as an American Imperial IPA.

Also, I don't get why this in under Minhas Craft Brewery when Rhinelander is on the label (at least on my old can). While Minhas bought the original Joseph Huber company and equipment (which brewed Rhinelander), according to Wikipedia, Jyoti Auluck bought the Rhinelander brand and started from scratch. So I think these need to be separated away from Minhas.

1.37/5  rDev -48.9%

So I think problem this beer right off the bat, is it's called a Double IPA and not something else like a scotch or brandy beer. Poured into a cold glass from cheap Trader Joes can (and yes this is only $5 a 6 pack or else I would or nobody else would be drinking it) - with about 1/2" of foam. Smells sweet, pungent, fruity, like 'nanners, tastes sweet, strong of alcohol and pungent like scotch or brandy. While this feels like a crafted beer, to me, I don't like scotch or brandy beers, and this is one of the worst beers I ever tasted, give me a bud light instead.

2.74/5  rDev +2.2%

this stuff tastes like bananas. It was my first thought and now i can’t untaste it. $5 for 6 pack of 8.4% beer is a great deal and it honestly isn’t bad but it doesn’t taste like an IPA at all. smooth for 8.4%. would recommend to broke college kid like me but not ipa beer dads.

1.22/5  rDev -54.5%

I've got to start reading the Beer Advocate reviews before buying beer. You got to make a special effort to make a beer so bad. It's beyond belief that the makers of this "drink" looked at each other and said "excellent! this will make us rich". I also bought Boatswain HLV ale, which is not quite as bad. OK, I figured out what happened. They made the IPA simply to make the ale not seem so bad. There can't be any other possible reason.

I'm supposed to describe the taste. Words fail me. Just bad, medicine bad. The stuff you take and say "this is so awful it must be doing me good". Except no person ever was made better by this dreadful liquid.

Not really recommended.

One of my all time favorites. I LOVE this beer. I recommend drinking it super cold, it's just an amazing beer. Thick,tasty,smooth,and super strong too 8.4% alcohol. You will LOVE this but it needs to be super ÇOLD.
P.S. make sure you buy the RED CAN Boatswain and you don't confuse it with the blue can Botswain. Don't buy the blue can boatswain that one sucks.

3.09/5  rDev +15.3%

Purchased at Trader Joe's and poured from a can into a pint glass. (I have also had it from a 22-ounce bottle, and I actually preferred it when bottled.) According to the label, it is from Rhinelander Brewing Company of Monroe, Wisconsin. I do not know whether Rhinelander and Minhas are the same company...

The beer is fairly clear and a golden copper color. It have above-average carbonation with a tall head, although the head disperses fairly quickly. As with nearly all Imperial IPAs, it feels somewhat viscous or syrupy. Overall, I like the taste. It's less hoppy and less bitter than the average Imperial IPA, especially when compared with specimens from Cali/Oregon/Washington, but there is enough hop character to satisfy me. It's sweeter and slightly more malty/caramelly than many I have tasted. The canned version does have a slight hint of metal, not perceived in the bottled version.

Overall, this Imperial IPA is in the average range, perhaps slightly above average. A bargain for it's inexpensive cost at TJ's. Note: I like it far better than the Boatswain American IPA (in the blue can).

2.97/5  rDev +10.8%

Beer has a caramel and orange color with a small head when poured. Smell has light caramel undertones to it with a caramel aftertaste. Smooth feel with little hops or carbonation. Respectable beer for its price, $4.99 for a 6-pack, and for its alcohol content, 8.4%. Would buy again if I want a decent beer at a good price.

3.79/5  rDev +41.4%

Bought at Trader Joe's in OKC for $4.99 for a 6 pack of cans --- the cheapest beer I've bought in a long, long time.

Is this a great beer? No. It has too much malt and doesn't have enough interesting hops to be a DIPA in my opinion. And more than a bit unbalanced. Way too sweet IMHO.

But is it an astoundingly good value? YES (which gave it a good half point bump on all categories)

A giant leap forward when it comes to affordable yet tasty beers.

Positives - high ABV (definitely in the winter warmer territory, which is nice on a cold day like this), rich and plenty of malts.

Negatives - Not true to style. Maybe better labeled as a hop-heavy Belgian.

But.. I come back to the price! That forgives all of the problems in my book.

3.13/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

I agree with those who mention this beer is mislabeled. Sure tastes like no DIPA I've had. I would love to see the grain bill and yeast. Definitely tastes more like a strong Belgian.
That being said, calling it a Belgian makes me rate this beer higher and throw in the low cost factor; but not too much so.

2.82/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

This beer is not an IPA or even a double IPA in my opinion. The taste is sweet and syrupy, no fruitiness or bitterness you'd expect from an IPA, and the smell has a strong alcohol note to it. The ABV of an IIPA is there but the look and taste is not. A cheap beer I'd accept if offered, nothing more nothing less

3.03/5  rDev +13.1%

This beer pours a pleasing copper Amber color with white head. The smell is lacking, but the flavor isn't bad. I'd like it to be a little stronger, but I do taste the hops. It may be closer to a regular IPA than a double IPA as far as bitterness.

3.2/5  rDev +19.4%

I have been known to bring a few cans of this beer along when I hike into a swimmn' hole or ski the backcountry. Don't have to bring more than 3 - It's a buzz in a can ... and I have consumed many over the last few years. A very good value and very drinkable. The only time I've seen what the looks like is when I spilled it on the snow; a medium reddish amber. Smell doesn't put me off as I raise the can to my lips. Taste is not really that of a double IPA, the malt kinda overpowers the hops so it's a bit sweet, not so bitter. Feels just fined going down - average head (no sex jokes, please).

3.24/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Strong coriander flavor. Doesn't taste like an ipa. More of a Belgian style strong. Could be smoother, but for 84 cents a can, it's a decent beer for sure.

2.29/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Crisp, somewhat carbonated taste followed by a bitter burnt caramel after taste. Is it worth $5 for a 6 pack? Maybe, bit you can do so much better for a few dollars more.

4.29/5  rDev +60.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great tasting, smooth beer. I would consider this a “go to” favorite - similar to DogfishHead 60-minute IPA, though not quite as good. If you need to pack a cooler for a weekend, you can’t go wrong with this. If you’re in a snobbish mood there are better IPA’s, otherwise this is a fine beer. Highly recommend.

3.93/5  rDev +46.6%

Forget double IPA. Consider you get a lot of alcohol for your $. My rating is much higher than some give it it because it does not cost much. Grapefruit with body. Bitter but not too much. Someone compared to a Scotch Ale. A friend said it tastes like grapefruit juice & Colt 45. I keep it in my fridge & drink it at home, often. Again, it "ain't no" double IPA, but at less than 84 cents a can, it ain't bad especially if your paycheck is getting a little thin. My favorite go to is Dogfish Head 60, but Twin Screw Steamer will stretch my retirement $.

4.01/5  rDev +49.6%

I agree with everyone else that it isn't really any kind of IPA, but once you're not expecting that, it tastes by far the best of any beer in its price range. It's well-balanced, malty, slightly roasty... not a standalone, sit-and-enjoy-a-lovely-brew type, but enjoyable and goes with most foods. Considering the alcohol content and the fact that it's less than a dollar even with tax, this is my new everyday beer.

2.47/5  rDev -7.8%

Purchased a single at Trader Joes. 8.4% ABV Pours out to a brilliantly clear light caramel, burnt orange, forming a nice creamy off yellow head with good retention and lacing, moderate carbonation, ~2.5 carbs or so. The nose is of grape juice and belgian yeast phenolics. A double IPA? LOL. I don't think so. No hop nose to speak of, this smells like a Belgian pale ale. The mouthfeel is crisp, clean, feels light bodied compared to the 8.4% abv, i suspect goosed with sugar. The taste is very UN- double IPA. If I were served this blind, I would guess it's a Belgian golden strong or a strong saison...the phenolics, the bitterness, the mouthfeel, the carbonation, the dryness. Bitterness is firm, herbal, I suspect hop extract.

What an odd beer. Most decidedly not a DIPA. Reading other reviews, it appears I am just one among many tasters that think this was brewed with a belgian yeast. It tastes like a very bitter duvel spiked with white grape juice. Not recommended.

2.17/5  rDev -19%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

I agree that it tastes like it has Belgian yeast and no substantial presence of any sort of hops. Not a fan. I recommend that you shell out another $4 for a competent IPA, or just bite the bullet and go for some low end high alcohol beer (it will serve the same purpose for less money).

1.73/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

You gotta be kidding me, somehow the double ipa for these guys might be worse than their already bottom of the barrel ipa? Pours another darker than average SRM for style. Barely there super thin white 1/8" head on the top. Aroma follows in the vein of the single ipa that has no hop aromatics, just a bunch of metallic copper feels and booziness.

Taste, jeez these reviews are nearly identical. They drop a substantial bitter metallic feel over some caramel malt with absolutely no hop flavor that could be described as having anything in common with fruit, be it citrus, tropical or otherwise. Certainly nothing in terms of pine or other plant or tree like notes. Just a bunch of copper pennies and rubbing alcohol. The alcohol tastes like it is 25% abv. This is the equivalent of the $7 1.75ml plastic bottle of vodka that they keep at the shittiest food and liquor stores in the hood.

This beer is not labeled correctly. It's more of a strong ale and not really a DIPA. It's a solid beer for the price and enjoyable if you are not expecting a DIPA. Value for flavor is great. If I rated this as a DIPA, I agree with the low scores.

1.22/5  rDev -54.5%

They needed to put the word "Belgian-" or "abbey-" style on the label somewhere to let potential buyers like me who hate that flavor know what they are getting. Regardless of whether those words actually apply, that's definitely what I smell and taste, likely from their strain of yeast. This is not an Imperial IPA by any stretch, other than the high alcohol content. At $4.99/6-pack, "too good to be true" really does apply. I will be returning the other 11 cans tomorrow. Gross.

2.53/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Purchased as a "What the heck" at Trader Joes for $4.99. Poured into a 16 ounce glass from a 12 ounce can at refrigerator temp. It poured a golden amber with a generous head that left decent lacing. The smell was very bready/malty. I found it odd for a double IPA. The taste was surprising as it tasted like it was brewed with Belgian yeast with enough hops to add a bitter finish. If it was a blind tasting I would had thought it was some type of a full bodied Belgian with a bitter finish. As a double IPA I would have to rate it as a WTF are your trying to pull. As a beer it wasn't bad. I think if it was sold for what it was and not necessarily a double IPA the ratings would be better. Now that I know what it is I would purchase it again as a decent brew when I feel like not spending $14.99 for a different brand. In my opinion as a double IPA it was a total miss. As a beer it wasn't bad. Maybe it is cheaper to add taste using Belgian yeast rather than spending money on lots of hops?

3.13/5  rDev +16.8%

I hated this beer when I first tried it. I felt I had been lied to by the can because a double IPA this is not. So what is it? Seems more akin to a strong ale or a well-crafted malt liquor. In terms of taste, it reminds me more of Campari or its non-alcoholic Sanbitter than an IPA in some ways. Tons of malt. Would I buy it again? Probably not, but at $5 for a six pack, I'm glad I gave it a try.

Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer) from Minhas Craft Brewery