NGB Gluten Free Lager | Minhas Craft Brewery

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by notchucknorris on 07-29-2013

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
2.29/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Pours nearly clear, and tint-less, there is only a slight tinge of yellow. Very, very pale yellow, perhaps more of an off white. The beer fizzes while it's being formed, but the only "head" formed are a few large bubbles that pop and disappear quickly. Aroma is medicinal syrup, grass, and brown rice. Almost like walking into a healthy, vegetable cafe. Flavor profile is brown rice, grass, and a strange medicinal syrup-like after taste. Mouth feel is crisp, light, and extremely thin. Overall, it goes down super smooth, and is light enough that it would make a wonderful beer after a hard long run in the heat. Not much fun to sip and savor, nor does it have as much smoothness as other lagers, but if you need gluten-free, this one isn't bad.

Served in a 12oz snifter.

2.58/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.16/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

NGB has a thin, white head, a clear, bubbly appearance, some white sediment chunks, and no lacing left behind. The aroma is of odd medicinal, grassy syrup, and the flavor is of those elements, with a strange "zing" to it, at the end of each sip. Mouthfeel is medium, and NGB finishes medium dry. Tastes like a health food store item.

RJT

4.88/5  rDev +107.7%

I love this beer. It's got a light, crisp, fruity taste without tasting bland. It lacks the bitterness of most gluten-free beers. I'd have to say this is the BEST gluten-free beers I've tastes, and is the closest thing to Corona (my favorite beer before I became gluten-intolerant) I've found. It's a wonderful beer for spring and summer, and especially after you've been doing yard work or working out.

2.46/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.25/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

12 oz. bottle, no bottled on date present. Acquired a single bottle of this stuff as a gift from my cousin. Tick. 'Ingredients: Water, Sorghum, Brown Rice, Hops, Yeast'.

Poured into clear tulip-ish stemware.

A - Pours a thin pale watery fizzy yellow body, slightly hazed, one finger of quickly fading white bubbly fizz for a head that recedes to nothing. Has the appearance of a thin apple cider or apple juice.

S - Aroma is kind of hard to define: pale and fizzy, notes of apple juice. Subtle creaminess. I suppose I could detect the brown rice element if I really tried? No overt notes of hops or yeast.

T - Taste is the same: notes of apple juice, cider, and perhaps an earthy ricey sort of flavor. Again, no overt notes of hops or yeast. Ehh, it isn't the worst beer I've ever tried.

M - Feel is thin, clean, watery, fizzy. Crisply carbonated. Easy-drinking for our gluten intolerant friends.

Overall, it's gluten free sorghum beer, what can we say? All these that I have tried have virtually ran on the same track. Not terrible, but definitely not recommended unless you are gluten intolerant.

Minhas NGB Gluten Free Lager -----3/5.

1.66/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

Picked this up at Trader Joe's the other day with a mixed 4 pack. I have never tried a gluten free beer so I didn't really know what to expect. It pours very thin and watery, kind of looks like apple juice. I can't put a finger on what it smells like, but I'm nit very fond of it. It has almost a hard apple cider taste. not much after taste at all. Like drinking water. Not sure if this is what a gluten free beer is supposed to taste like, but all I can say is I'm glad I only bought one.

2.46/5  rDev +4.7%

i HATE nay. LOATHE reviews like the first one. dont give two shits if your a snobby asshole about your beer. anyway. the beer isnt bad.has kind of a sweet 7-up reminiscent flavor to it. dont mind it. significantly better than redbridge very hard to find though. the trader joes i went into only had one six pack (if you make gluten free beers, make a 12 pack! only recommendation..)

2.93/5  rDev +24.7%

1.98/5  rDev -15.7%

1.85/5  rDev -21.3%

I've had several gluten-free beers and this one didn't taste terrible at first taste. Then it kept getting worse with each sip. I had my husband try it to let me know if I was going crazy or it was really that bad. He nailed the description on the head. "Take a 12 Oz glass of water, add 2 or 5 TBS of sugar, then open up a can of corn and pour in the water from the can and then drink that." Yep. Sums it up. I didn't taste notes of citrus at all. Maybe a hint of cherry? Anyways, more than half went down the drain. Glad I had the option to purchase one bottle instead of a whOle 6 pack. Sad.

1.24/5  rDev -47.2%

Not too good. Not able to finish more than three swigs from the bottle. If you're going gluten-free, OMission is much better.

2.5/5  rDev +6.4%

2.1/5  rDev -10.6%

12 ounce bottle. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear gold color with about a half inch white head that has decent enough retention. Not much lacing. Aroma isn't exactly pleasing, the brew smells like watered down apple juice, bready malt/grain, white grapes, and a weird slightly tart smell. The brew mostly tastes the same way, like watery apple juice, white grapes, bready malt/grain, and some corn. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit syrupy with low carbonation. I've had some other gluten free beers before, but this is probably the worst one I've had that I can remember. On the bright side, I picked this up for just $1.17 a single at Trader Joe's. Even for a Trader Joe's house brand beer, this one is bad. That's why I make a point to usually buy singles there. But with that being said, I drank the bottle without any problems so I guess it couldn't have been too horrible.

2.85/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A: Clear and gold. Head is ver thin, fades immediately, and leaves no lacing.

S: The first whiff smells like a light cider. Sniffing more deeply reveals faint grain notes as well. There's nothing more to it than that.

T: Like the aroma, the taste is more cider than beer, with mildly tart fruit notes dominating. There are pale grain notes as well, and tangy bitterness in the finish that are probably hops, but not convincingly so.

M: Thin, with only mediocre carbonation. A hint of dry in the finish.

O: A little bit cider, a little bit pale ale, but not enough of either. It does not deserve the title of "lager" that it bears on the label. I've had worse, but I've also had much better, including from gluten-free beers.

2.25/5  rDev -4.3%

1.5/5  rDev -36.2%

1.81/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Appearance: minimal head, moderate carbonation, golden in color, clear--looks good but looks can be deceiving

Smell: toasted malt and honey

Taste: big toasted malt, light pepper, old apple cider

Mouthfeel: sweet, light body, high and prickly carbonation

Overall: First beer in a while that I could not finish..tastes like a bad non-alcoholic apple cider/beer mixture..Could really use a bit of bittering..avoid this one.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast