Brooklyn Manchester Star | Brooklyn Brewery

brooklynbrewery.com

Style: Baltic Porter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-09-2002

4.85/5  rDev 0%

I had this at the famous Denver beer bar, the Falling Rock Tap House on Jan 19, 2002. I had been down there a few days before and noticed this on the tap handles. Funny enough, it didn't seem the bartender knew what it was he was selling. They had some homemade black and white printout for the beer tap. I asked him what it was and he told me that it was a "dark brown beer" Ok... I got a sample and actually passed on buying a pint! Seemed to me that that one sip tasted only like alcohol, but I was kind of tired. The thought crossed my mind that this might be the very limited edition beer that Malt Advocate rated as beer of the year... only 40 casks made. When I got home, I looked it up. Bingo! It was, and I had PASSED IT UP?!? Four days later, I drove back down to Denver from Boulder with the intention of "really trying" this beer. I'm glad I did...

On to the details...

Pours with a creamy, off white head which dwindled very quickly (dirty glass maybe?). The color is a hazy dark brown with red highlights. It has an amazingly light to medium-light mouthfeel with light carbonation. The small bubbles accentuate a velvety mouthfeel. Aroma is that of vinous fruit, malt, and cherries. This aroma carries over into the taste, which is fairly complex, a ton of stuff going on. Sweetness consisting of black cherries, plums, raisins, cola, and slightly winy, with only a slight roasted malt flavor in the finish... definitely muted in this porter! The finish is slightly drier (grain bitterness?) with shadows of a hint of citrus, and a small alcohol presence. The beer goes down quick and easy, which is almost disappointing for a once-in-a-lifetime, extremely limited edition brew, but hey, what can you do about that. Get another while you still can! Maybe I'll go down again next weekend if it's still around.

The closest beer I've had to this is Dogfish Head's Raison D'Etre, but Manchester Star is lighter in mouthfeel with some changes in the flavor profile... I'd definitely say it was similar though.

Brooklyn Manchester Star from Brooklyn Brewery