Tamarind Beer | South African Breweries plc

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by Thehuntmaster on 05-10-2012

2.4

2.4/5  rDev 0%

180ml taster at the Clarens Beer Festival (reviewed from notes).
Served chilled in the festival tasting tulip.
5,5% Abv.

I am not sure I have ever had anything made with tamarind, so this should be interesting.

Appearance: Clear golden-orange body, topped by a small white head that lasts acceptably well, but leaves no lacing.

Smell: The nose is quite sweet, with notes of caramel, cloves, sweet banana and some pale grains. I am not sure where the tamarind fits in, I thought it was meant to be tart?

Taste: Blegh, the flavour is certainly a big step down from the nose! Very little flavour, that which is present consists of stale grain, an odd sweet fruit character, a hint of spice and a horrid overripe banana aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Light body, somewhat watery with a high level of harsh carbonation.

Overall: I must applaud SAB for trying to do something a little different, however the result is hardly any better than their standard, corn-laced, watered down lager.

Tamarind Beer from South African Breweries plc