Hofbräu Light | Hofbräuhaus München

Style: Light Lager

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 05-29-2003

Reviews: 7 | Ratings: 14
3.03/5  rDev +7.8%

A straw yellow, hazy golden color with a creamy head, nice retention, and sea foam lace. The smell is of sweet malts, caramel, and tea. The taste is light, sweet, caramel and honey with earthy notes. The mouthfeel is quite watery, but crisp and refreshing. Overall, easy to drink. A great conversion beer from the BMC world.

Pours a clean orange-ish to yellow color with a white head. In the aroma, kind of like dry corn sweetness. In the taste, a light sweet to dry corn flavor with a light grain taste as well. A small bite and light bodied mouthfeel, with a dry standard lager and corn like aftertaste. Interesting corn flavors but still just a light lager.

2.57/5  rDev -8.5%

Interesting story. On my first trip to Germany, and my German is rough. I know that a Helles lager translates to "Bright" Lager. I spot a bottle labled Hofbrau and I get excited - It says 'Hofbräu Hell', so I assume it's a helles. Wrong. Hell apparently mean both 'light' & 'bright', and I got a light beer.

For whatever it's worth, this says 4.0%abv.
Poured out of a brown .5L (pint) bottle into my recently acquired Weizen Glass. Marks my ¼ Year anniversary on BA.

A: Pale Straw Yellow, Big sudsy head, impressive carbonation effect, could be the glass helping but still impressive. Big patches lace sticking to the glass. Honestly good looking for a light beer.

S: Not many redeeming qualities. Smells of grains, light hops, faint pale malts. Stale would be an all encompassing word.

T: Again: grains. Dry finish, can't find the hops, but there is a weak pale malt presence. For reference, still more enjoyable than Bud Light by a wide margin.

M & D: Light bubbly action, almost dries the air out in your mouth as I swill. Not really getting impression either way towards smooth or coarse mouthfeel. To go back to my bud light analogy, I think this one might have slightly more 'drinkability'. However, I got this by mistake and won't be hurrying back to get more.

2.63/5  rDev -6.4%

A pale light straw colored yellow. Faint light white head. Not much beer aromas, maybe a hint of toast. First taste is sweet and bouncy, highly carbonated. Some more grainy, and dry toast flavors, not much. Light, bubbly, and sweet. Easy to drink. I understand why the Hofbrau House needs to make this, but I don't think it's something many ba's would have an interest in. Very similiar to Coors Light, Bud Lite, etc.

2.2/5  rDev -21.7%

Light gold and bubbly with a medium white head. Not much in the way of aroma of any kind. Very light and crisp but as with the aroma there is not a lot of flavor to challenge someone. A good introductory beer to the masses who go to Hofbrauhaus and can't find their security blanket beers.

3.1/5  rDev +10.3%

For a light beer this is very good. A pale gold body topped by a medium white head and a small amout of lacing. The nose is straightfoward as a lager beer and so is the taste which is much better than most light beers. This is very drinkable and has a good enough body to give one a sense of drinking real lager beer. Good in a pinch.

2.8/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I didn't pour the beer, so when it was brought to me it had pretty much zero head. Pale yellow color, smells kinda like a Budweiser.

Light taste, bubbly, with a better than expected hop presence. Not much depth, that would require a third more calories, but a crisp and clean finish. One of the best light beers I've had, I'm sure having it on tap maxes out the potential for this one.

Hofbräu Light from Hofbräuhaus München