Brussels Perzik | Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Awaiting More Ratings
Brussels PerzikBrussels Perzik

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.
vansteenberge.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 05-29-2004

3.8

4.57/5  rDev +20.3%

Bottle Inspection: Looks just like the bottle I saw in the case at Real Ale brewing, the one their “Belgian Friend” aka Pierre Celis wants to make in Texas. My beer list showed 3.5% abv. when sampled at Cambrinus in Brugge. 05/01/07 on the label.

Aroma: Rich! Fresh peaches, ripe and juicy. Smells like a Peach jolly rancher candy.

Appearance: Slightly hazy orange amber glass, thin frothy head, slight lacing

Flavor: Rush of peach settles to a gentle finish. A real fruit juice taste, very little classic beer flavors, but very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Light body, dry finish, spritzy carbonation.

Overall Impression: As a package, this is an outstanding summer drink! One of my favorite tastes I found in Belgium. I’m really hoping to see Mr. Celis bring this one to Texas.

3.12/5  rDev -17.9%

Fruity like...Bubbleicious.

Nice mildly acidic aroma highlighting the peach fragrances. It smells a bit forced and syrupy, but dried apricots and peaches present themselves. Light and fruity flavors, but there's an egregious, fake NutraSweet flavor that I can't shake that completely ruins this guilty Kool-Aid like pleasure for me. Just meat that much more for my wife.

Oh well.

3.72/5  rDev -2.1%

Comes in a long neck brown 25cl bottle with a yellow and gold label featuring two peaches and the word Brussels in big bold letters. Peaches, peach juice and sugar are listed as ingredients. Best before September 2006, I opened it on 5/29/04.

Pours a cloudy and bubbly yellow gold under a 1/2 finger white creamy head that settles to film quickly but leaves some good lace strands. There's lots and lots of sweet tangy fruitiness here, but I'd call it lemon more than peach. The mouth is very prickly and light. The taste starts with tart and tangy citrus, not exactly peach but definitely fruit, somewhere between raspberry and apricot, I think. There's a good malt base underneath, but no noticeable hops. The aftertaste is more of the tart and tangy. I expected to hate this, but it was too good. A respectable effort.

Brussels Perzik from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.