Brussels Framboos | Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Brussels FramboosBrussels Framboos
3.72/5
Good
Brussels FramboosBrussels Framboos

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.
vansteenberge.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by Globetrotter on 05-31-2004

View: Beers
3.2/5  rDev -14%

25cl bottle.

Poured medium reddish / orange color with a smaller sized head. Aromas of raspberries (both sweet and tart). Tastes of sweet berries with a light tart finish. Somewhat on the artificial side. I found the body to be on the thinner side.

Notes from: 12/23/06

3.89/5  rDev +4.6%

A whimsical purchase at Beer Mania in Brussels based on its small price tag and the fact I'd never seen it before. It could have been asswater, and I barely would have cared. I was shopping. I was in Belgium. I was having a good time.

Fortunately, it's a bit better than asswater.

A sort of bloody salmon color with some mild hazing and a fast fleeting head. Big raspberry aroma. Drew a "This smells like Lindemans raspberry" from my wife. I agree -- true, sour raspberry aroma and sugared Raspberry syrup both dominate the aroma to the point that there's nothing else. Similarly, this has an intense fruit-flavored streak running through it. It shows hints of some real fruit, but I definitely get a slight nutra-sweet tang toward the end, and the bottle lists sugar and raspberry syrup as ingredients. Even before I noticed that, it was clear there was something at least partly artificial going on. It's not unpleasant -- just overt. Big, lively, pop-rocks like mouthfeel.

As I understand it, this is a flavored witbier. It's all flavor and not so much witbier, which is fine. This is what it is, and it does its job well. Put it together with some sort of lemon or raspberry salad dressing -- or hell, use it to make the dressing -- or maybe some cheap chocolate. Otherwise, this one belongs on its own as a cheap fruit drink.

4.07/5  rDev +9.4%

Comes in a brown long neck 25cl bottle with a dark blue and gold label featuring two raspberries above the name. Raspberries, raspberry juice and sugar are ingredients. Best before 9/10/06, I opened it on 5/31/04.

Pours a nice cloudy pale red/dark pink under a very small reddish tan head that lingers as thick film surprisingly long and leaves some nice lace streaks. The nose is wonderful - full of sweet raspberries and just a touch of yeast. The mouth is very well carbonated and heavy with fruity sweetness. The taste is all raspberry, but far better than raspberry soda thanks to the malt and yeast backbone. The raspberries are nice and tart, complimented by a natural fruity sweetness. The aftertaste is all berry. Very good for the style.

Brussels Framboos from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.