Bavaria 8.6 Absinthe

Gots
SCORE
n/a
Bavaria 8.6 AbsintheBavaria 8.6 Absinthe
Notes: Barley, Wheat & Herbal extract.
Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 9
2.05/5  rDev -28.8%

500ml can from a Monoprix in Nice, France.

8.30% ABV.

High sweetness. Artificial wormwood, faux-vermouth extract, sticky lime, anise.

Artificial flavouring runs rampant through this off-putting brew. Not a beer I'd want to revisit.

D (2.05) / AVOID

3.12/5  rDev +8.3%

500ml Can. Footed Pokal glass. Intense herbal notes as opened. Bright brass color, chill haze appearance. White froth slowly dissipates. Herbs, some diacetil, alcohol & toffee hues to the nose rounded by hints of vanilla, cinnamon & toasted biscuit. Malty upfront shows grainy, caramelized flavors & burnt candy touch. Medium to full body. Medium-high to moderate carbonation. Herbal notes of anise, cumin & absinthe provide a dried mouthfeel. Sweetish & sugary touches are joined by low but harsh fruity bitterness – apple zest-. Dry finish, fruity/herbal aftertaste & heat through the throat.

2.71/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A good example of a European version of the American 40 oz malt liquor type beer. Pours decently, small head, slightly sweet, easy to drink. The Absinthe moniker gives it a special selling point. I bought mine in a can (half liter or 16 oz) in France at a "Big Box" store. It was inexpensive and caught my eye. Don't expect anything spectacular and watch how much you drink!

2.86/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This self-described spiced beer poured out a very light amber color, almost completely see-through, into my glass. Very little head, which dissipated quite quickly. Little apparent carbonation: Looks more like an iced tea than a beer.

Some strong, sweet floral scents, almost lavender like, but I'm not smelling the anise/wormwood-type scents that you'd associate with absinthe. Doesn't much smell like beer in any way.

The taste is somewhat sweet, floral with other herbal tastes. Just a touch of bitterness, for me, but overall this doesn't taste much like beer in the normal sense, nor like absinthe for that matter. A bit medicinal on the aftertaste. A subtler taste, overall, than I expected; tastes watered down. I'm not detecting any anise or wormwood like tastes... No tongue numbness, either, that I associate with absinthe. But the 8.6% ABV is quite hidden; this is a very easy substance (I hesitate to say "beer") to drink. I could see this working well during the summer months, particularly.

It is my understanding that Bavaria is releasing this beer in France as a test market. The closest other hybrid beer that this reminds me of is the Verveine (verbena) beer from Brasserie du Mont Blanc, but the Bavaria version has a weaker, subtler taste. Overall, I prefer a beer with more flavor, but I might drink this on a warm day if I were in the mood for something different.

Bavaria 8.6 Absinthe from Swinkels Family Brewers