Die HerzMaschine

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Die HerzMaschineDie HerzMaschine
Notes: Our line of Ungespundet Lagerbiers are modeled after the inspiring and subtle detail in classical German brewing traditions. However, the value of transgressive philosophy being ever-present in our sphere, these are distinctly Foreign Objects Ungespundet Lagerbiers. Marked by delicate full aromas and soft bitterness from our abundant-yet- precise hop use, rustic natural earthiness from our temperate lagering process, and a naturally unfiltered glow, these beers are our homage to the lost beauty of subtlety and precision, honored and transmuted into these beautiful lagers.
View: Beers
Reviews: 5 | Ratings: 24 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.52/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this from a can. It is labeled an Ungespunder helles lager.

Fragrant, floral, and expressive.There’s an inviting haze to the gold tan liquid in my glass. The nose is estery, with citrusy pollen on the finish. Interesting beer, with an extraordinary amount of nuance.

3.77/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A bit confused here. The can calls this a Helles Lager, and my can is yellow, while the picture on BA is black. I still think we have the same beer here. And...? It’s not bad like the first time I swapped younger spit with Candice S. In the 8th grade. Like, it was cool, but not kind blowing. And here, in this beer “whatever the hell its called,” i liked it like my time with Candice, but it’s not blowing the lid off of my top. Ya feel me?

Cheers.

3.85/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Canned 10/20/18
Pours a light fizzy head, lower retention, no lacing, hazy medium gold color

Nose tons of doughy malt, raw bread dough, little corn pilsner, grainy sweet malt, not too complex but plenty of doughy malt, light herbal hop

Taste more grainy sweet malt, raw bread dough and more pilsner corn flavors, soft layered lager but not a ton of depth, mild herbal floral hop with light bitterness, little mineral and spicy hop bitterness on the finish

Mouth is med to lighter bod, lighter fizzy carb, soft lager

Overall not bad, a bit too hoppy bitter on the finish, malts not too complex but not bad for an American version of a Helles,

4.01/5  rDev +3.1%

Can dated 10-02-2018 into pint glass. Pours a hazy amber with a miniscule off-white head. Initial impression is a a subtle mix of caramel sweetness, citrus, bready malts, and a refreshing tartness. It's not an IPA, it's certainly not a sour, it's more than a lager. Mouthfeel is medium and almost sticky. Finish is slightly bitter.

Yet another excellent offering from FO. This will be my 13th from them, and they never fail to impress me.

3.8/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Headline: A young brewer specializing in hazy IPAs attempts an obscure, clear lager style and does a pretty good job.

Had on tap. Looks average, tho clear for being unfiltered.
Smells also average, but neither too malty, nor too much floral/grassy hops. Balanced.
Tastes provide a nice malt fore-palate with the hops playing background music which is commendable even for a hazy iPA purveyor. Finishes crisp and clean. A good, balanced lager.

Had with maligatwany soup and it cleared the palate fine. Soothed it, in fact, for another sinus-clearing spoonful.

My first from Foreign Objects, so I went on their website and am greeted with the most philosophical and downright heavy mission statement I have ever seen from a brewer. But they obviously are thoughtful and serious about their craft. They claim to make Belgians, but none are on the 33 listed by BA. But when one of their Belgians makes it to Chicago, I will be glad to try it.

Die HerzMaschine from Foreign Objects Beer Company