3B | Arkell's Brewery Limited

Added by stirgy on 12-10-2004

Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 6
Reviews by cypressbob:
2.68/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

275ml bottle

Pours with a nice golden maber body, some foamy head, slight retention

Smell, um....smells like cider, seriously, like a dry westons or hecks, really odd

Taste, dry and fizzy, like dried apples and fizzy candy, a bit odd, not totally pleasant, like a mix of a pale ale and cider...actually, this tastes like cider....what the hell happened here?

An odd one, pretty weird and crap, like a malty off cider

3.91/5  rDev +29%

Pours a finger of head on a dark straw body.
The aroma is mild toffee, caramel and lemon.
The taste is sweet with lemon bitterness.
The texture is soft and smooth.
Nice.

4.5/5  rDev +48.5%

3.25/5  rDev +7.3%

2.45/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Having my first pint from the tap in the English country side. It looks terrific, but I was expecting more to it. Good feel, however.

2.21/5  rDev -27.1%

Presentation: Sampled at the Red Shed, Wakefield during my Easter Trip back to the UK. Arkell’s 3B was a Guest Beer in the Red Shed, the beer and the brewery are rarely seen in the North of England, so it was a nice surprise to get to try this one.

Appearance: Amber body, thin dirty white head sits atop the moderately carbonated brew. Look like a classic English Bitter in the glass.

Nose: Feint aromas. Old school malts with an ashtray soaked bitterness.

Taste: I hate to use the phrase, but I wrote in my notes that this tasted like bad Homebrew. In order to refrain from upsetting many of the Homebrewers out there, I should qualify that I mean that this tasted like MY homebrew the first time I used a malt extract kit. Slightly sweet, sickly, muddled, partly chewed nuts with a thin metallic finish. Poor balance and befuddled.

Mouthfeel: Thin and very watery. Pastel like body, no even the carbonation rescues this from feeling like a cheap watered-down economy Canned beer.

Drinkability: From the get go, I struggled with this. Manageable but far from the session drinking brew I thought it was. I left the last third of this Pint in fact.

Overall: Whilst it is fantastic to see that Arkell’s is still family owned after some 160+ years, I’m afraid that I was not impressed by this one at all. And judging by the fact that it stayed on the Guest Beer Handpumps in the Shed for a very untypical couple of days during my Easter Trip, neither were others. Way too thin and wishy-washy.

3B is short for ‘Best Bitter Beer’, it is often referred to as ‘Big Boy’s Beer’, but I reckon it really stands for “Bloody Boring Brew”.

3B from Arkell's Brewery Limited