Nordic Brume

Gots
SCORE
n/a
Nordic BrumeNordic Brume
Notes: Nordic Brune is our 7% abv hop-saturated tribute to kveik, a uniquely expressive strain of yeast from Norway. Nordic Brume is our first rotating hop series to be canned and this first batch features Enigma, Moutere & Citra hops. Brewed with tons of oats & wheat for a soft mouthfeel and bursting with notes of lychee, pineapple, lime & passion fruit. We're very pleased with this IPA and hope you & the Norse Gods enjoy this beer as much as we do.
Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 9 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by Sludgeman:
Sludgeman from District of Columbia

4.06/5  rDev -4%

The unique yeast is only reflected in the aroma. A nice beer.

Pours with a huge four finger white fluffy head. Good lacing. A murky brownish orange.

Tropical fruit aroma with a very funky edge. Almost saison-like.

Malty Orange juice with a herbal bitterness. Appropriate for an American IPA.

Medium light body with a slightly dry finish. Smooth with a bit of a bite.

Jan 09, 2020
TheIPAHunter from Pennsylvania

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Canned on 11/18/19. This version utilizes Kveik, a uniquely expressive Norwegian yeast, and features Nelson & Citra cryo hops. Did somebody say Nelson? Honey-orange pour that reduces to about a half-finger of head, with a decent amount of lacing in its wake. The smell is an abundance of the Nelson aroma you know and love. White wine, gooseberry, and tropical fruits smack the senses and literally jump from the glass. Thank you. Taste follows with additional notes of ripe mango, and orange peel. All of this coats the tongue in a luxurious manner, and it even has me scraping the roof of my mouth for that resinous finish on the back end. There's nothing, and I mean nothing, like Nelson done right. If Elder Pine does justice to their other beers the way they did justice to this one, I'll be a fan. Amen.

Dec 18, 2019
Knapp85 from Pennsylvania

4.23/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Jan 18, 2020
wisrarebeer from Wisconsin

4.01/5  rDev -5.2%

Mar 05, 2020
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

4.26/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I am very pleased that we are getting so many beers from this brewery in support of The CANQuest (tm)! I recently picked this one up at Dominion Pizza & since my last Pilsner was from them, I decided to CANtinue with CANother of their beers.

From the CAN: "Nordic Brume Kviek IPA"; "Uncharted Waters"; "Nordic Brune is our hop-saturated tribute to kveik, a uniquely expressive Norwegian yeast that imparts notes of ripe mango, orange blossom, and juicy clementine. To fully showcase this exceptional yeast's versatility, Nordic Brume is a hop series featuring both single-hop variants and blends of our favorite hops. We hope you and the Norse Gods enjoy this beer as much as we do."; "Hops[:] Rotating"; Grist[:] Pale, Wheat, Oats, Dextrin Malt".

I have to admit to being rather intrigued by the prospect of all of this. I beCAN my quest by Crack!ing open the CAN & starting a slow, gentle C-Line Glug into the awaiting glass. It formed two-plus fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, eggshell-white head with excellent retention. Color was a deeply-hazy/lightly-cloudy Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) so my efforts at maintaining clarity were in vain. 8=( Nose was redolent with oranges and a tropical fruitiness that I could not readily identify. Sehr gut! Mouthfeel was medium, but with a silky softness from the oats. The taste was extremely orange and lightly tropical, but I still could not quite place it as mango. The orange had the slight bitterness of rind - think zest or orange marmalade. Mmm. Just as long as it is not sweet, I CAN hang. This was quite tasty. Finish was semi-dry & quite pleasant. My CAN was unmarked as to its hops. I would be curious to try upCANming iterations, but I would hope that they would identify them in the future. YMMV.

May 20, 2020

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Nov 24, 2018
jcoleMA66 from Massachusetts

4.41/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Jan 24, 2020
spelingchampeon from Delaware

4.26/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

No canning date
Pours honey colored, with whitish sides. Nice foamy low head, little lacing 1 minute after pour. Aroma is balanced among citrus, tropical and berries. Taste is berry up front, tropical blend, and a good blush of passion. Very little bitterness, that does not affect the overall taste. MF is quite smooth, and inviting.. with a touch of carbonation.

Excellent beer. Not familiar with these hops/yeast flavor profile, but after multiple visits, I'm very impressed.

Dec 16, 2019