Stargazer

Gots
SCORE
n/a
StargazerStargazer
Notes: The restrained roasted characters of this black IPA meld wonderfully with the large amount of Chinook, Simcoe, Columbus, and Lemondrop hops
Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 8 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

3.64/5  rDev +0.3%

This DelMarVa (+ DC) adventure of mine has morphed into my latest CANQuest (tm) focus! I really had no idea that MaryCANd, especially, was putting out so much beer. 8=O It seems as though every time I feel like I a close, some more beers from that area Pop! up from out of hiding to surprise me. Further, I am back to work so I CANnot keep up the pace that I set during the Christmas/Winter Break. 8=( On top of all of that, even New Beer Sunday is off-limits due to prior CANmitments. 8=( Inna meantime, a shout-out to my local, in-person trader, @tone77 who recently dropped this off for me.

From the CAN: "Black IPA"; "A Limited Offering".

The Crack! of the vent greeted me with a spritz across my fingertips due to its being a brimful craft CAN. I was further intrigued during my slow, gentle C-Line Glug when it evinced a pseudo-cascade. 8=O It finally settled into two-plus fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, deep-tan/light-brown head with very good retention, taking forever to fall away. Color was Very Dark Brown to Black/Opaque (SRM = > 34, < 44) with ruby highlights visible at the edges. Nose seemed more driven by the dark-roasted malts with notes of dark chocolate, charcoal and smoke at the forefront with an underlying citrusiness and mintiness from the hops. Hmm. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but on the approach. The taste was a classic example of my problem with this style as a self-avowed, self-described hophead - the malts were getting in the way of the hops! They were calling it a "Black IPA", but when the hops are no longer the centerpiece, then it is an example of 21st Amendment's "Blah, blah, blah IPA" in which everything is an IPA for marketing purposes. This one tasted like a slightly burnt brownie with an indistinguishable hop bill. I was reminded of the GEICO commercial with the raccoons and the taste of "burnt hair & chutney". Ha! It was just too roasty & too overpowering for the hops to have a ChANce & it suffered as a result. Finish was dry and bitter, but I felt unfulfilled. YMMV.

Jan 16, 2020
tone77 from Pennsylvania

3.32/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, citrus, some roasted malts. Taste is of coffee, hints of citrus, it seems like the flavors are not playing well together. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is not bad, but it's nothing special.

Aug 25, 2019
MrOH from Maryland

2.85/5  rDev -21.5%

First black IPA I've seen around in a while.
Dark brown with reddish highlights and a dense, thick, tan head. Great retention and lace.
Weird combination of tropical fruit-type hops and coffee aromas.
Flavor follows aroma, but the coffee taste is even more prevalent.
Mouthfeel is about what you want in an IPA
Just a really weird beer. There's a reason you don't really see the tropical type hops in stouts and porters.

Jun 03, 2019