Blackbird Porter (Bourbon Barrel Aged) | Island Brewing Company

Style: American Porter

Added by Retsinis on 03-16-2011

4.25/5  rDev 0%

3.57/5  rDev 0%

A good friend, craft beer enthusiast, and home brewer (Thanks Chewy) brought this bomber bottle to share with me and a few others at my Birthday. Review is from notes.

Poured from a 22oz Bomber into a Bruery Tulip Glass.

The beer poured a near black, but was actually a deep, hazy mahogany brown, with dark maple amber brown highlights. Small head, about a half inch that quickly receded to just a ring of lacing.

The beer smells of roasted brown sugar, vanilla, toffee, and very light coffee with milk.

The taste mirroed the nose, but all the flavors were muted, seems the barrel aging didnt add as much as I was hoping it too. Flavors or lightly roasted malt, some bourbon, toffee, vanilla, little to no oak.

The mouthfeel was medium to light, and a bit thin.

Overall, a solid porter, but the barrel aging didnt seem too add that much character to it. Not sure what barrels were used, or how long they were aged. However, I have to disclaim that within the same week, I had a vertical of KBS, and Bourbon county rare, so that may have had something to do with it. I hope to try it again under better conditions.

Blackbird Porter (Bourbon Barrel Aged) from Island Brewing Company