Old Boilermaker | Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub

Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub
Oregon, United States
fullsailbrewing.com

Style: American Barleywine

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by emmasdad on 07-22-2010

Reviews by Smurf2055:

4.79/5  rDev +7.2%

I am reviewing the 1998 vintage that I had on tap during the GABF week festivities.

A: Dark amber--almost copper hue with minimal head and lacing--but to be expected in a barleywine

S: Holy crap, this smells good; I could live in this beer: subtle bourbon with lots of oak, vanilla, dark fruits, and sweet caramel; oaky, fruity, boozy, bready, awesomey

T: Flavors seem to match aroma profile spot on: a subtle bready base with loads of oaky, boozy goodness on top; some bourbon and dark fruits; boy has age been good to this one (13 years old and so damn delicious); this is seriously one of the best beers to ever touch my lips

F: Nice medium mouth feel; slightly creamy and lightly carbonated

O: Can I say this enough, holy crap, this is good; the booze really mellows with age, but this little lady is such a tease: when am I going to taste a 13-year-old , retired beer that only previously had one review on BA and comes from a brewery we don't get in our state again? Oh, GABF weekend, I love and hate you!

3.82/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.69/5  rDev +4.9%

Entering this one from an old notebook. Had this one a patio overlooking the river outside the mccormick and schmick's in Portland (where the full sail brewery was located). Served in a snifter, dark amber, not a lot of head. Huge aromas of bourbon, caramel, oak, dark raisins and brown sugar. On the palate, this one was quite boozy, with huge bourbon character, a touch of hops, more caramel, vanilla and oak. One of the 10 best beers I've ever had (the location didnt hurt).

Old Boilermaker from Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub