Cuvee De Evil

4.17 | pDev: 14.87%
From:
Valley Brewing Company

Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
n/a
Notes:
Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 3 | Log in to view all ratings and sort

From last nights notes at the Barrel Aged Festival at the Bistro in Hayward, CA. According to the draft list this is a Belgian style Strong Golden Ale brewed with organic pomegranate honey then aged in Brandy barrels for four months.

Bright golden slightly hazy body topped with a medium sized white head that doesn't stick around too long. Random spots of lacing are left behind.

Aroma screams brandy then smacks you upside the head with honey. The two pair extremely well. Very aromatic. Something very floral in there as well but it takes a back seat to the Brandy.

Honey is a little less obvious on the palate at first but comes back mid drink. Brandy still out front. There's a nice fruity character but I can't say I'd identify it was pomegranate if they didn't say so on the draft list. I'm getting some wood and strong floral notes as I let it soak my tongue for awhile. As strong as the brandy flavors are there isn't as much heat as I expected. Body is pleasantly light, not syrupy like a mead which the honey notes had me expecting.

Overall a very nice BSPA. I don't really care for most Brandy but I really enjoy the favors it does for beer. Possibly even more than my preferred spirits Scotch and Bourbon.

Cuvee De Evil from Valley Brewing Company