Sol Chelada
Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

Sol CheladaSol Chelada
Score:
Ranked #23,070
3.9 | pDev: 14.36%
From:
Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

Mexico
Avail:
Rotating/Seasonal
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Sol CheladaSol Chelada
Notes: A flavorful and refreshing mix of Sol beer with tomato, natural lime, and spice flavors.
View: Beers
Reviews: 13 | Ratings: 20 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
kojevergas from Louisiana

2.9/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

CAN: Blue with a red, white, and gold label. 24 fl oz.

3.5% ABV. "A flavorful and refreshing mix of Sol beer with tomato, natural line and spice flavors." Per 12 fl oz: 158 kcal, 20.3g carbohydrate, 0g fat, 1.8g protein."

Currently #153 in the Top Fruit and Field Beers list and #13 in the Top Rated Mexico Beers list.

Served as cold as possible into a shaker pint (I consider that fine since even pouring this into a glass at all feels fancy when considering how its target demo drinks it).

APPEARANCE: Thick, red, pulpy. No head at all. Difficult to tell if it's actually carbonated or not just looking at it.

AROMA: Canned tomato puree, artificial lime/lime extract, salt, mild vinegar-based hot sauce, dollar store Bloody Mary mix.

I can't say I detect any malts, hops, or yeast.

TASTE & TEXTURE: Matches the aroma but boasts surprising depth of flavour in terms of the pureed tomato/tomato juice flavour, which works well in tandem with its lime-bolstered acidity. Filling both because it's a thicker pulpier beverage and because it has a salty MSG-like sort of umami flavour to it...not necessarily what I want in my beer (and this is rougher on the waistline than the vast majority of similarily low ABV beers out there) but it's not unpleasant. Not spicy despite the presence of a vinegary hot sauce sort of flavour.

I have to say it's a hell of a lot better than Budweiser Chelada and it doesn't have the nasty clam juice and/or butyric acid/vomit-ridden flavours that beer suffers from.

Not unrefreshing despite how thick and rich it is. I'd call it smooth but it's too chunky and uneven for that descriptor. Wet, though, and quenching. Well carbonated given its weight on the palate. I don't love the texture, but if you're after a beer for the Bloody Mary drinker this is your man.

OVERALL: I don't love it but I have to admit it has its place. I could see myself enjoying this straight from an ice chest on a Mexican construction site or while mowing the lawn on a hot day when hungover, and that's kind of what it's for. I can't see where this would be as good as a michelada made at home using fresher ingredients and a normal budget beer (Pacifico, I'm looking at you), but if you must have a premade michelada this is a step above its more pandering competitors.

Pair with paella, chicken wings, or carne asada nachos.

C / AVERAGE

Jul 05, 2020
Richie_1326

I made a beer advocate login just to review this sol chelada. This is by far the best of all the canned cheladas. If there was a score on cheladas specifically it would be a 10/10. Thank you for this amazing product. Great flavors of spice salt N tomatoes with a taste that sits on your tounge making you want more each sip.

May 06, 2020
RonaldTheriot from Louisiana

4.53/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sol Chelada has a thin, fizzy pink-white head, an opaque pink appearance, with salt rind residue on the glass. The aroma is of raw, saltwater seafood and spices, and the flavor is of salty tomato, spices, citrus, & clams. The body is medium, and Sol Chelada finishes fairly dry.

RJT

Apr 18, 2020
mactrail from Washington

4.1/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The usual red-pink cloudy appearance with moderate foam. Quite spritzy and tangy. The aroma is quite full of spice and pepper. Taste is really like tomato, followed by a black pepper heat with green chile flavors. It's kind of beery, but also a little sweet.

I have to say this is the best of the several canned Chelada brews I've tried. So much better than the Bud versions. Actually tastes kind of "fresh" and tomatoey. The low alcohol is a plus since it's plenty flavorful and the heat lasts well into the aftertaste. From the extra large can purchased at a market in the Northwest.

Jul 29, 2019
Thankin_Hank from Texas

4.2/5  rDev +7.7%

I was hoping it was like the Sol Clamato I had in Puerto Vallarta recently. Me and the wife enjoyed those. But these are different but still enyoable. At only 3.5 %ABV you could put a shot of Stolichnya and barely notice. Make a bloody Mary with beer kind of strategy. Experiment.

Jul 20, 2019
superspak from Michigan

3.87/5  rDev -0.8%

24 ounce can into pint glass, canned on 1/30/2019. Best before 7/2019. Pours moderately murky/cloudy reddish orange color with a 1 finger foamy and fluffy off white head with solid retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Minimal spotty lacing on the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Good appearance. Aromas of big tomato juice, lime, salt, garlic, onion, celery, chili pepper, peppercorn, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce; with lighter notes of cracker, corn, and herbal/grassy earthiness. Damn nice aromas with great balance and complexity of tomato juice, lime, salt, spices, and light malt/hop notes; with great strength. Taste of big tomato juice, lime, salt, garlic, onion, celery, chili pepper, peppercorn, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce; with lighter notes of cracker, corn, and herbal/grassy earthiness. Light herbal, grassy bitterness; and peppercorn/chili spiciness on the finish. Lingering notes of tomato juice, lime, salt, garlic, onion, celery, chili pepper, peppercorn, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, cracker, corn, and herbal/grassy earthiness on the finish for a while. Very nice complexity, robustness, and balance of tomato juice, lime, salt, spices, and light malt/hop flavors; with a nice malt/bitter/spiciness balance, and no cloying flavors after the finish. Lightly increasing dryness from lingering bitter/spiciness. Medium carbonation and medium-full body; with a very smooth, creamy tomato, and light grainy/sticky/saline mouthfeel that is nice. Zero warming alcohol for 3.5%. Mild increasing pepper heat through the glass. Overall this is a delicious michelada. All around nice complexity, robustness, and balance of tomato juice, lime, salt, spices, and light malt/hop flavors; very smooth and pretty refreshing to drink with the mildly bitter/spicy finish. Great balance of juicy tomatoes, lime, salt, and spices; with solid Mexican lager presence in the background. Mild residual sweetness with lingering dryness. A very enjoyable offering, and impressive style example. I have been loving these a lot more recently.

Jun 22, 2019
xenothon from Texas

4.45/5  rDev +14.1%

I live in a border state and I’m not new to micheladas - I was introduced to them a long time ago as a sensible way to down essentially any of the Mexican macro brews that you can find out here. I can’t really explain why the Clamato/tomato juice-heavy concoction works exactly but in border culture, it’s a thing. However, getting all the ingredients together every time you make them at home can start to make you question why you bothered buying cheap beer in the first place so I’m personally open to trying the pre-made varieties.

I got this in a 24 oz can from a local HEB and drank it straight from the can (for something like this, I find a pour pointless if not extravagant). Was surprised as I had never seen a Sol Chelada before - by the lack of other reviews on here, I’m guessing it’s new. (Although I definitely have had Sol’s regular flagship beer before, I can’t say that it ever particularly stood out to me).

Well, well, well, all I can say is that it’s a great approximation of what I think a michelada should be, at least given that it’s prepackaged in a can. The tomato notes are bullish and up-front. Yes, the drink only clocks in at 3.5% abv but the plentifulness of that full-bodied tomato flavor is worth it. Limon is also there on the tasting profile. Honestly, though, the big deal here is that this tastes like a natural drink you would get at a bar. Generally in these types of things you get a sort of metallic thin factory taste which I would generally attribute to some step of the mixing process. I’m not sure what the difference is here, but everything blends together well and ultimately you’re imbibing something that stands unified on your palette. Highly recommended if you’re into this sort of thing (read: michelada type mixes). Some people might not like the saltiness, but as far as I’m concerned, that is part and parcel of what you should be getting. I mean, if I’m making a michelada at home then I’m lining the entire rim with salt stuck there with lime juice, which is also what I see out in the wild.

Only real criticism in my mind that can be lobbied against this product is the aforementioned low abv but I’m not sure how you can get around that.

May 28, 2019
Spikester from Oregon

Cloudy red with two fingers of pink head. Lots of particles of tomatoes on the sides of the glass.
Smell is some bready malt with tomato juice some pepper.
Taste is tomato juice lime salt.
Mouthfeel is medium with good carbonation. Finish is wet and salty.
Overall a very tasty and refreshing Chelada.

May 23, 2019
ZenAgnostic from Texas

4.52/5  rDev +15.9%

24oz can poured into Duvel tulip. BBD SEPT 2019 printed on bottom of can. So this will still be good for. 4-5 months. Wow. Picked this up from the grocery store for $3.

Appearance - Opaque deep ruby grapefruit body with medium sized light orange head with medium orange flakes or particles scattered about it. 4

Smell - The clam in the Clamato is coming through clearly. It actually just smells like straight clamato. 3.25

Taste - Wow. Hits you up front immediately with that clam and a peppery tomato. 5

Mouthfeel - Good punch up front and finishes nice and clean other than a nice mild spice to let you remember what you're drinking. Does't have the effervescence of something like Modelo picante but the spices make up for it easily. Has a rounder, less spritey body in terms of carbonation. 5

Overall - Definitely unique among canned cheladas and possibly the best I've had. Maybe tied with the Modelo picante. 5

May 10, 2019
BeerBobber from Nevada

4.06/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours the typical reddish color with a cracling pink head of a Chelada. Very hazy, as expected.

Smell is tomato dominant! Picking up lime s and salt on the nose. A faint hint of typical lager smells, but really faint. Tomato dominant, seriously.

Taste is tomato juice dominant! Also tasting that lime and salt thing. Lager beer flavors are pushed way back on this one.

Mouth feel is just a bit lighter than a glass of tomato juice. I would say it is just getting into that medium range. The finish is nice with a bit of a lingering acidity from the tomatos.

This is a straight tomato juice chelada and NOT a Clamato chelada. I often mix a lot of my own cheladas, like a lot of other manufacters, with Clamato. This is awesome to see someone using a straight tomato juice for the mix, and getting that salt and lime, tomato juice and beer all mixed just right. I got two big cans for $3.50 at our grocery store. Damn! What a price! Chelada haters can hate but chelad lovers should dance circles around this one. It truly is a tasty treat for a hot summer day. Oh yeah, we have those here in Las Vegas.

May 09, 2019
Zorro from California

2.66/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Cloudy pink with a tall pinkish white head.

Smells of tomatoes juice and sea water. No recognizable beer qualities I can smell.

Starts out salty an a little sour. Tastes of tomato juice and lime. It tastes OK, but it tastes nothing like beer. Strong taste of celery salt.

Mouthfeel is seltzer water.

Overall it tastes OK, but it isn't really beer.

Apr 22, 2019
gvickery from Texas

4.02/5  rDev +3.1%

At first it tasted too salty. It has a savory aspect that is very satisfying. I usually make these myself with cheap lager and Bloody Mary mix (zing zang). It’s very light in abv at 3.5. If you like bloody Mary’s you’ll like micheladas. These are fantastic hot weather drinks. I know it sounds weird but there’s nothing better than a michelada after a long hot day of yard work.

Apr 20, 2019
StonedTrippin from Colorado

3.4/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

first things first, this is the best premade one of these i have ever had, its leagues better than the bud ones and some of the others that are around, i expected to hate it, and could believe i found myself going back for more. i think part of it is how natural it is, the tomato tastes like tomato, and while it is a bit salty to me, it seems well accented by it. on top of that, there dont appear to be all the other fake elements that usually bring these down, lime and lemon and things like that, it jut tastes like a red beer, and its remarkable refreshing, drinkable, and tasty, i did not at all expect to like this, even tolerate it, but now i kind of want to go buy some to get my day started today. the base beer is just sol, which to me always needs a context anyway, and thats what the tomatoes provide here, its a great compliment, the light malt sweetness cutting some of the natural acidity of the tomato, and vice versa. the sodium could be a lot if i were pounding these, but as a single can or two, it makes this drying and distinct. i like the high carbonation, i like that i can still taste lager yeast, and i like that it doesnt feel cheap or plastic to me. very well done for what it is, new in the market here in colorado, but instantly at the top of the heap of these for me. dont judge me for drinking these all summer...

edit: a little less impressive the second time around, i notice the artificial color on the label and that turns me off, especially as i look at the bizarre orange tone this takes on as i get to the second half of the can. i get a hint of perfumey lime or something, and while this is refreshing, it also kind of makes me thirsty. still ahead of its class, but nothing to freak out about either...

Mar 11, 2019
Sol Chelada from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.
Beer rating: 84 out of 100 with 20 ratings