1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Portsmouth Flanders Red Blend (Kriek Lambic) | Portsmouth Brewery

Style: Belgian Fruit Lambic

None provided.

3.5/5  rDev -14%

3.55/5  rDev -12.8%

Taken from Portsmouth's blog to describe this year's blend:
"This is a blend of this years Flanders Red with a three year old Old Brun, two year old Flanders Red and a one year old Flanders Red. All the aged beers have the addition of a lambic yeast strain to at the start of the aging cycle. Plus we added some tart cherries."

The blend had no head at all when it got to my table. I felt that this beer had less carbonation than the Flanders that was on tap earlier this year. It was reddish brown and opaque. Basically looked like a still, muddy liquid.

The smell was musty and acidic. A lot more evolved than the regular Flanders with added funk.

The taste is unique. I could pick apart the blend in my mouth. The Flanders is strangely dominant with over-ripe cherries and a moderate sourness that lingered in my mouth. I was hoping for something much different and complex.

Carbonation is very light on the tongue. This beer is extremely easy to drink for what it is. Flavor isn't spectacular but I had no problem finishing my 2 glasses.

4.32/5  rDev +6.1%

I'd heard a fair amount of hype on this beer. So, even though I had other things to do and it was a cold, wet, dreary day, I headed down to The Brewery to have some before it kicked. I must say, it was worth the trip. The beer was a dark ruby red color with a medium sized white head. The red beer and white head contrasted well. Nicely carbonated. It had a tart cherry aroma and was also a bit yeasty. Tart cherry taste, good pucker factor.
This was a great idea; I'd like to see more of this style.

4.52/5  rDev +11.1%

I had a couple of classes of this yesterday the last one I paired with my super. Tod came over and chuckled. It was a grilled chicken salad but hey I loved it so much I had to work in a second glass of the day. It was kind of hard seeing I drank two of the sour brune with the Lambicus the day before and was still paying for it. I thought I would include the official Description of this one in the review.

"We blended the remaining Flanders Red with the year old Sour Brune, Lambicus and some tart cherries to make a pseudo Kriek Lambic. Traditionally we would have to age the blend for at least a year to call it an official Lambic. But it is close enough for us American brewers here at Portsmouth. "

The color was a wonderful cherry red and it had a slight trail of bubble coming up the glass. The aromas of cherries and Lambicus hit your nose even with the glass on the table. The flavors followed the nose, I was surprised though. I had both the blended brews separate and they were both ok but together they were fantastic. Tart sour cherries and some funky bitter was a wonderful marriage in my mouth. Who would have known?
It's a sour so drinkability is kind of a strange thing. One glass is enough but this one I wanted two LOL. I hope to see this one again some time in the summer

4.52/5  rDev +11.1%

I had to have 3 of these for the sake of the review. That's my story at least.

A: Brilliant red body with no head. Perfectly crystal clear with no carbonation.

S: Sour tartness with good deep cherry notes. It's clear that real cherries were used because it smells exactly like cherries.

T: Great tartness up front. Cherry throughout. Doesn't exactly taste like a Flanders or a lambic but a nice blend...which is kind of what it is. The balance between the vinegary influences from the flanders, the tartness from the lambicus, and the sweetness from the cherries is divine.

M: Light bodied. The tartness stings the tongue a bit which is very nice. Can't ask for more with this beer.

D: I love sours and this beer is a great example.

Portsmouth Flanders Red Blend (Kriek Lambic) from Portsmouth Brewery