Niagara Kriek Ale

From:
Niagara Brewing Company

Ontario, Canada
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
n/a
Notes:
View: Beers
sulldaddy from Connecticut

2.94/5  rDev -10.1%

Cellar temp bomber bottle poured into a snifter. The beer was left here by Stopper after a tasting event.
The beer pours a clear amber to copper hue with pinkish tints. A creamy eggshell white head foaming up about 1 cm and fading to a sturdy edge layer.
Aroma is mild cherry hits but fairly artificial, some grainy malt and a bit of vinegar. Not real tart but just a hint is buried in the brew.
First sip reveals an average body with soft and very spacious carbonation that is barely present on my palate. Beer drinks very easy with almost no real heaviness on the mouthfeel. Not really watery though somehow, just very light body and smooth.
Flavor is some sweet grainy malt and a bit of cherry again. Not really any tartness or vinegar on the flavor in fact the profile is pretty mild overall and again the beer drinks very easy. Finish is a little dry and some mild lingering cherry flavors stick to my tongue.
The beer isnt bad tasting or flawed but it is fairly forgettable and not very exciting. I wouldnt go looking for it again.

Aug 03, 2012
connecticutpoet from Connecticut

3.59/5  rDev +9.8%

This was a yellowish beer with a good head. It had the aroma of light malt and cherries (as expected).

The taste was of smooth, mild sour cherries, but they were not overpowering. As I like sour cherries, I found it to be OK, but nowhere near a true Belgian kriek. Still, although I would drink one if offered it, I don't know if I would seek it out again on my own.

Jun 27, 2004