Spindrift Stout

From:
Deschutes Brewery

Oregon, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
n/a
Notes:
2.15/5  rDev 0%

I found this limited edition export style stout on tap at the Deschutes Brewery Brew Pub in October 2004. To the best of my knowledge it has only been offered at the brewpub and is not bottled or distributed.

This is a thin-bodied stout that strays deep into porter territory. It is dark mahogany-hued with a light sandy head that disappears promptly, ultimately showing no lace and after a short while, no head. There’s no shortage of roasted flavor, but the constrained mouthfeel does little to deliver it.

I drank an imperial pint of this beer with deliberate reserve so as to allow the beer to reach an optimal range of temperatures. But I myself never warmed up to it. The aroma was faint, and although I don't hold this against the beer itself, the smell was entirely corrupted by the boorish man sketching away in the seat next to mine who insisted on dumping his pencil shavings onto the bartop.

Spindrift has more drift than anything, and the official spin on the menu (“smooth, flavorful” and “a full mouthfeel and clean finish”) does nothing to alter that. This beer simply isn't up to Deschutes standards. Frankly I'm surprised they serve it at all.

Spindrift Stout from Deschutes Brewery