Big Mitch's Chocolate Irish Extra Stout

From:
Deschutes Brewery

Oregon, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
n/a
Notes:
4.5/5  rDev 0%

Had fun trying to classify this one, but i'm pretty confident with just calling it an American Stout.

I first considered it being an Irish Dry Stout, but this suckers got chocolate and all sorts of oddities. So let's just call it a stout, shall we?

Dark with an incredibly long lasting head. 20 minutes in, the pint was warm and the head was officially taller than the half inch of beer I still had hidden beneath it.

Low hop and big rich malty goodness.

Bittersweet baking chocolate in the taste. Earthy and dirty flavors abound. As it warmed I was getting a bit of soggy overcooked vegetable/bean flavors, but it wasnt terrible, plus the chocolate was constantly in the forefront.

Good drinkability. Super tasty and smooth. I'd like this with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream please!!!

The only thing that would improve this one would be a kick in the ABV's. This would make one hell of a worldclass Imperial Stout if it were in the 9% range. It's got 'double me" written all over it. Come on Gary, I dare ya!

Here's the blurb from Deschutes about this one: "What's in a name? Check this out: (Single) Chocolate nibs (the raw material that comes from the glorious lands of cocoa) were boiled with Sterling and EKG hops & (Double) 8.8# of the best chocolate we could find melted into our finished beer; Irish is the nitrogen smoothness and mild roasted flavor as well as where the yeast came from; Stout because of the strength; and Extra because what else could you possibly ask for?"

Big Mitch's Chocolate Irish Extra Stout from Deschutes Brewery