Oak-Aged Double Black | Deschutes Brewery

Style: American Porter

Added by HopHead84 on 07-21-2009

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 2
4.8/5  rDev n/a

On tap at Fredfest 2010, WWFD.

This beer was one of the rockstars of the evening. It say next to the Cherry Fred, a true palate monster, and bared its teeth. A big black color, the dim light doesn't tell me much more. Chocolate and roast and smoke and oak and grapes and lust come out of the nose, the beer slides down with just enough burn to let you know it means to play rough.

There is fruit there, sweet fresh fruit mashed into the side of a french wine barrel, the boldness is absurd. I want this beer, I want bottles of it in my cellar to look at and to hold, cuddle with on a cold night.

4.12/5  rDev n/a

This was on tap at the Portland brewpub. This is apparently some form of Black Butte porter, but it's not Black Butte XXI:

We took our original flagship beer and did it two times over. We created a beer that has all the Black Butte Porter characteristics but also has some new flavor nuances intermingled with the standard. As an added bonus we aged this beer in Syrah and Cabernet Sauvignon barrels. This Imperial Porter is sure to excite the senses. IBUs: 56 ; ABS: 10.3%

Served in a snifter, the beer is black with a small bubbly head.

The aroma is of oak, milk chocolate, and bittersweet dark chocolate. Other notes are of sugar, vanilla, and dark fruits. A hint of coffee is evident but it's not a main characteristic.

The flavor is dark and milk chocolate with some oak and vanilla. Tannins are evident, as well as a hint of dark fruits (grapes?). Coffee is once again at a low level, and I detect blackstrap molasses that I didn't notice in the aroma. The flavor is slightly roasted, but not to the level of a RIS.

The mouthfeel is full bodied, chewy, and creamy, with a low level of carbonation. This probably wasn't the best beer to order considering I was hot and dehydrated, but it was enjoyable nonetheless.

Oak-Aged Double Black from Deschutes Brewery