Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

O'Shea's Traditional Irish Stout | Carlow Brewing Company

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.2-oz bottle into porter/stout glass

A - 2 fingers of dark tan over a pitch-black body with ruby highlights

S - coffee, cocoa, smoke

T - lots of roasted barley, coffee, cocoa notes, touch of sweetness, dry roasted finish

M - fairly creamy, medium body, medium/high carbonation, dry finish

O - not quite so solid and creamy as Guinness, but probably better than Guinness in the flavor department

2.92/5  rDev -18.7%

3.74/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Nothing like a stout on St Pattys Day! Let's give it a whirl. Popping the top I get a waft of roasted malt, semi sweet chocolate and earthy hopping. Pours to a deep opaque brown with a two finger dark tan head. Head is multi sized bubble but not real creamy. On the taste this brew is big bold roasted malt up front getting a bit sweeter as it progresses and the hops are semi bitter at the start and also build throughout. Aftertaste is sweet dry and roasted with a hint of lingering bitterness. Good thick mouthfeel. A great drinker and not bad at the price point. I will revisit without a doubt.

4.49/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I was shopping Aldi (USA) with my wife on the weekend and was looking for a new Aldi-branded beer I'd heard about, but spotted "O'Shea's" instead. Familiar with O'Hara's, I immediately wondered if this was a re-brand for Aldi by Carlow Brewing -- sure enough, and at a discount price compared with what I usually see O'Hara's selling ($6 per 4 pack compared to $9). With the holiday on the horizon I couldn't pass it by (doesn't hurt that my wife likes a good Stout too).

Clear best by labeling on the 330 ML bottle neck of 28, MAR 2017. Poured into my imperial pint.

L -- Inky dark color with ruby highlights and a dense, long-lasting, tan head.

S -- Roasted barley nose reminiscent of coffee, some light fruitiness from fermentation and mild spiciness from hops.

T -- Big roastiness up front that blends into coffee and milk chocolate characters. Some mild dark fruit notes toward the finish and dry bitterness (from a balance of roasted malts and earthy hops) through the aftertaste.

F -- Mouthfeel is creamy up front to dry in the finish with a robust body.

O -- In an interview with Seamus O'Hara, founder of Carlow Brewing, back in the late 90s I asked him why he wanted to start another Stout brewery in the shadow of Guinness Brewing. "I wanted to drink beer as I remembered it from my youth." I can only hope this beer (and O'Hara's Stout) have matched his memories because this is a terrific Irish Stout that stands alone among Guinness, Murphy's, and Beamish. You may compare Guinness' Extra Stout, but there's something bigger in the roasted barley flavor they produce at Carlow. I'm getting more of this when I see it.

4.08/5  rDev +13.6%

3.18/5  rDev -11.4%

3.07/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Picked up at Aldi, available in US for march only I believe.
Paired with some Irish bangers to be authentic.
L- pours black. It's a stout. Caramel colored head.
S- Lots of vanilla and chocolate.
T- Sweet, creamy with vanilla and chocolate. Some hops and alcohol on the finish.
F- On one hand, it's very light and drinkable for a stout. On the other hand, it is kind of thin and watery for a stout. So not sure what to think about this.
O-It's not bad. Drinkable for a stout I could have 3 or 4. Not as good as a Smithwicks or Guinness though. But $5.89 for a 4-pack? No, I won't pay that again. If it was cheaper I would get again but at that price I'll stick with Guinness.

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Brewed by O'Haras in Carlow for Aldi. A reasonable stout and not too bitter but there are better.

3.6/5  rDev +0.3%

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

2.99/5  rDev -16.7%

This is a beer brewed for Ireland's Aldi stores. I purchased mine in the Harvest off-license in Galway.

A: Pours a very dark amber-black with a three finger head that holds up over four minutes and has a fair amount of cream. Nice thickness. Appealing.

Sm: Chocolate and toffee hints. A bit of caramel. Mostly roasted barley. Nice for an Irish stout, but unremarkable. Worse than Guinness anyway.

T: A mediocre opening to a decently built body with a wonderfully roasted finish. Well-balanced albeit one-note. I wish it were more complex like Guinness (or even Beamish). The note that is there (roasted barley) is done well. This is not a bold beer, but it makes a nice session stout.

Mf: Nicely coarse and dry at the climax, but lacking in the open and body.

Dr: At this price (1.99 Euro), it's actually decent. Just don't expect the quality of Guinness. For stout lovers like me, it's worth trying.

O'Shea's Traditional Irish Stout from Carlow Brewing Company