Brew York | Ithaca Beer Company

Brew YorkBrew York

Ithaca Beer Company
New York, United States
ithacabeer.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Brewed with 100% NYS Hops and 66% NYS Malts, Ithaca Beer Co.'s Brew York Pale Ale proudly supports New York agriculture. Featuring hops from Chimney Bluffs Hoppery in Wolcott, and Ledyard Farms in King Ferry. Local malts sourced from NYS Empire Malt in Champlain and 1886 Malt House in Fulton.

Added by CNoj012 on 05-16-2018

3.81/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.68/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.68/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.61/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.38/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This beer pours a very hazy golden color with less than one finger of loose, bubbly foam on top. Retention is minimal and there are some spots and chunks of lacing left on the glass.

Smell is faint citrus hops, a touch of pale malts and a bit of herbal greenness.

Taste is similar, but less flavorful than the smell suggests. It is pale malts with a hint of orange basically.

Feel is light, thin and lacking carbonation. The reviewer below me described getting the hops up front, but not on the back end. I feel that is an accurate description because the beer feels so dry by mid sip that all you really get is a bit of the malts on the finish.

Overall this is decent at best. Would I buy it again? Not a chance. Would I drink it if someone offered it to me for free? Probably not, unless I was damn thirsty.

3.82/5  rDev +6.1%

I should preface this by stating that I do enjoy hops. I’ve been particularly into session IPAs lately (eg, Founders, Saranac Gen IV, etc.) My favorite IBC beer is Green Trail, followed closely by Flower Power. Favorite pale ale is Saranac (i know, i know...) I bought a 6-pack of Brew York last night, as I live in Ithaca and always like to try a new IBC beer when it comes out. I poured it into a standard pint glass.

Color is a cloudy golden. Gives it a rustic, unfiltered vibe. Almost no head to speak of (but I’m fine with that), just a touch of lacing.

Nose is a bit citrusy, perhaps even a touch of pine, but not as much as an IPA. Perhaps a bit of cracker (lightly-toasted sesame?) toning it down.

Taste starts off very crisp at the front of the tongue, similar to an IPA, and you expect to feel the hops on the back of your tongue, but it never really happens—which could be frustrating for someone expecting a more enthusiastically “hop forward” pale ale.

There is, however, a decent tinge of hopppiness while the beer is literally in your mouth, but it dulls quickly after swallowed. But not sweet either—it finishes more like a toasted sesame cracker than a cookie. However, the more I drink, the more I find the hops lingering longer and longer. My favorite pale ale? No. Would I drink it again? Definitely. I think that IBC has crafted a nuanced, complex pale ale that will be very popular—especially with those who may like to flirt with hops, but don’t want the commitment.

TL:DR Great for a summer party, as there’s something here for everyone.

3.11/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

It's drinkable, but not very memorable or exciting. Medium hop flavor, slight malt, low smell, slightly opaque yellow-orange color with a decent head.
I'll try it again if I can ensure it's fresher than a few months, because it was kind of weak over all.

Brew York from Ithaca Beer Company