Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Newport Storm Oktoberfest Marzen Lager | Coastal Extreme Brewing Co.

Newport Storm Oktoberfest Marzen LagerNewport Storm Oktoberfest Marzen Lager
3.48/5
Okay
Newport Storm Oktoberfest Marzen LagerNewport Storm Oktoberfest Marzen Lager

Coastal Extreme Brewing Co.
Rhode Island, United States
newportstorm.com

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

This is our most technical brew to make and one of our only lagers. The colder and longer fermentation requires precision and patience. True to the Maarzen style, copious amounts of German Vienna, Carapils, and Munich Malts lend a sweetness people ask for all year! German Tradition and Czech Saaz hops are added post boil to really authenticate this fantastic crowd favorite!

Added by UncleJimbo on 10-21-2002

3.99/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured into half pint glass: color is transparent copper, head is off white with fine bubbles, presents about 1/4 inch thick and dissipates to a thin top and ring.

Smell is toasted malt, munich, subtle fruitiness, crisp earthy hops.

Taste is similar with a good munich base, crisp middle and earth/herbal hops.

Mouthfeel is moderate with crisp bitterness and moderate carbonation.

Overall a good oktoberfest with pleasant munich malt flavors.

Byfar my favorite Oktoberfest- traditional marzen style lager isn't too sweet, not like the typical oktoberfest you get with a ton of added spices, awesome beer for a football game. Love it.

4.04/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A group of local imbibers held the #PumpkinChallenge2016 recently, wrapping up on M, 03 Oktober 2016. I then proposed the #OktoberfestChallenge2016 & while I do not know how many participants there are, I am hitting it full bore. Today will be my New OktoBierFest Sunday (Week TBD) with an opportunity to do a horizontal tasting.

From the bottle: "Rhode Island's Microbrewery".

Oooh, I hear my girl, Pink, so I'd better step up my efforts! I Pop!ped the cap & commenced a heavy-handed pour since I was in a hurry. Oh, man! The head rose up like it was angry at me (which I can understand), forming three-plus fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, tawny head with great retention. While it took its time falling, I peered in at its color, gauging it to be Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a bready maltiness, but it seemed to be on the sweet side of the spectrum. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste had a light grassy bitterness along with a biscuity maltiness. Hmm. I really liked Brooklyn Oktoberfest, but this is mirroring it nicely. I really enjoyed the interplay between the earthy malts and the grassy, Noble hops in this one. Finish was semi-dry and left a lingering earthy grassiness well after the swallow. I think that I have found another Baby Bear Oktoberfest in that, for me, this one was just right!

3.48/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.42/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.04/5  rDev -12.6%

3.56/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.24/5  rDev -35.6%

4.23/5  rDev +21.6%

3.71/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz. bottle poured into a pilsner glass because I hadn't used that glass in a while and I like it.

Appearance: Pours a clear light orange/amber color with a big eggshell head. Looks good in the glass. Substantial lacing on the way down.

Smell: This beer doesn't have a huge, dominant aroma. There's some caramel and malt and a slight earthy/floral note.

Taste: The beer is malty and pretty forward with the caramel-type flavor. Some slight grassiness, as well. Pretty tasty.

Mouthfeel: Sessionable depth. Not a heavy beer, and doesn't need to be.

Overall: Pretty decent marzen from this RI brewery, whose stuff I'd been eager to try. Not super complex, but a fine autumn afternoon brew. Good beer to come home to after a nice long fall hike.

3.75/5  rDev +7.8%

1.12/5  rDev -67.8%

3.25/5  rDev -6.6%

1.5/5  rDev -56.9%

3.75/5  rDev +7.8%

3.5/5  rDev +0.6%

Newport Storm Oktoberfest Marzen Lager from Coastal Extreme Brewing Co.