Hop Centric Black | Two Brothers Brewing Company

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.18/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.31/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.46/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.08/5  rDev -1%

3.75/5  rDev -9%

3.75/5  rDev -9%

3.77/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had at the Two Brothers Brewery yesterday. Poured into a snifter

A: Dark brown, almost black like a stout. Nice creamy brownish head.

S: You can smell the piney, floral, hops and roasted malt used in making this beer.

T: Hoppy in the front, almost stout-like on the finish with the malt and essence of bitter chocolate. Tastes like it's more than a 9% ABV beer.

O: Surprisingly good. I didn't think I would like dark IPA style beers, but this changed my perception. I would definitely have this again next time I'm around Warrenville.

4.27/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thanks, Todd. No one at a bottle share decided to touch the bottle I brought of this, so I immediately called a friend soon after and asked if he wanted to have a go at it. He accepted, so we gleefully tackled this in spite of prior consumption of lots of beers on our part. Poured out of a 22oz bottle into a tulip glass. Let's hope this held up well.

This has to be the most opaque black ale I've seen to date - blackened, with minor brown (or apparent ruby) tinges when held against the light, but otherwise would fool anyone that this was a stout or something at an initial glance. What gives it away, I suppose, is the light khaki head, which is frothy, thick, and appetizing looking. Lasts the entire time, and leaves behind tons of sticky residue and some strong legs. Really an excellent looking black ale, and one of the best I've seen to date.

The aroma is nice, and doesn't really show any signs of fading even after all this time - tons of citrus and spices, with a nice semi roasted backbone from the dark malts. Lots of orange peel, pine, sage, and fennel, alongside a good amount of black pepper, light tobacco, earthiness, and some caramel and semi-roasted cocoa nibs at the finish. It's relatively sweet, but it's filled with a nice, earthy, floral hop punch that makes this essentially a good quality IPA, save for the malts. In fact, I'd say it's more interesting for it as it brings out firm notes of licorice and leather the more it warms up. Really mellow, and well paced, but definitely ahead of the pack in certain respects.

While I've had mixed feelings about past beers from Two Brothers, this one pretty much brings together what I'd always felt that their beers could strive to be - robust, thick, yet with an assertive bitterness from the hops and malts, as well as a unique yeasty profile and assortment of flavors throughout. At first, you get this pine bomb of a beer, coated with some citrus peel of sorts, as well as sage and light anise. Then, the roasted notes back up the bitterness with a semi-sweet malt profile resembling chocolate and caramel, and making this seem like a citrus infused truffle of sorts (much like Wookey Jack, but sadly lacks the crackly spiciness of that beer). Really well carbonated and refreshing, and while it's a little robust at the finish, we easily finished a bottle together and wished we had another.

This is great - my favorite black ale from the Midwest that I've had so far, and ranks up there with ST Inequity and FW Wookey Jack as perhaps my favorite black IPAs in the country. Most breweries miss the point of these beers, I feel - they aren't meant to fight each other, but rather compliment each other by showcasing the best bittered aspects of intense hops and intense roasted malt characteristics, while melding them throughout. I really enjoyed this, and I hope to try more of Two Brothers' best when I get the chance.

3.5/5  rDev -15%