DOOM Golden Treacle Pale | Elysian Brewing Company

DOOM Golden Treacle PaleDOOM Golden Treacle Pale

Elysian Brewing Company
Washington, United States
elysianbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by JohnGalt1 on 12-22-2012

Liked:
3.82/5
Alströms:

3.26/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle.
Appearance: rusty-orange. Medium haze. Small, thin head. Thin lacing.
Smell: sugar and grapefruit peel.
Taste: grapefruit hop flavor and bittering. Alcohol.
Mouthfeel: medium-high carbonation. Medium body. Dry. Bitter.
Overall: good pale ale. The hop bitterness, paired with the bitterness of the treacle syrup make for a good pale. Differnt, but good.

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

22oz bottle poured into a large mug. No date that I can see.

With the sediment that came in, moderately cloudy amber/orange with a medium-to-small white head that coagulated and isn't dissipating. With the little floaters drifting around, it's not a terribly attractive beer. Ignoring that, it's not bad looking. Smell is malty with a ghost of grassy hops. Something vanilla-y. Smells OK.

Taste is oldish hops (wish it had a bottled on date, but since it was "brewed once"...), slight tapioca sweetness, moderate bitterness. Taste is fine.

Mouthfeel is thick but dry. Overall, not a bad beer, but not great.

4.75/5  rDev +24.3%

3.97/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured into an Elysian snifter. Pours a slightly hazy medium orange amber. One finger white head dissipates quickly to a thick foam cap with lots of lacing. Aroma of grapefruit and pineapple, citrus hops, reminiscent of an American IPA. Flavor follows, with sweet malt, complex light fruit emphasizing grapefruit and other citrus. Nice citrus and slightly piney hops. The raisins and syrup promised by the label seem to add more to the heavy body and mouth feel than to the actual flavor. Nice creamy medium body. Not at all what I expected (a sweet dark fruit dominated flavor), but rather a very interesting take on a hoppy American IPA. I really enjoyed this, as I have the rest of the series. Tasted 12/2012; but my review seems to have disappeared, so I'm putting it up again.

3.77/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Wasnt quite sure what to expect on this one, being named as a "golden" pale ale, I was a bit skeptical. Man, this beer is a hybrid IPA!! Yet still a golden APA if need be! Citrus and pine tastes cut through nicely!! At 7.4% the balance of hop/alcohol is perfect!! Plus an awesome label!!

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

3.41/5  rDev -10.7%

Color is a copper color with a really decent thick head. The head sticks to the glass as u drink the beer. Th head disappears but give the glass a little swirl and boom it's right back and glorious.

Smell is so subtle almost unnoticeable. I get traces of pine and grapefruit but very little. I wish the hope were more pronounced in the smell.

Taste is very different from smell. The taste is very surprising after the lack of smell. I get a lot of grapefruit especially in the end. The taste lingers a little longer than I would like but I love the grapefruit taste so it doesn't bother me too much. There is an earthy taste to it as well. The pineyness of this beer is nice.

Feel is all overhead mouth. It's piney notes tingle the back of the mouth. I'm not real good with feel at this point but it leaves a nice coating on your mouth which might explain the lingering taste.

Overall this is a good beer and I would definitely drink more. I would like to get a bottle to see if that increases the smell.

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

3.2/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I bought a 'bomber' of this stuff at my local bottle-shop.
paid $8.50 .
I expected a Belgian dubbel sort of brew but realized quickly it's an aggressively-hopped ale / West Coast hoppy ale with a tiny tease of treacle & raisins.
High-I.B.U. , for sure . Boo. Not my scene .
I can see a Belgian person spitting this out right away .
A glorified IPA as far as i'm concerned .
Glad I only had the one bottle of it .
Heavy terpenoid lupulin/hop presence . Wee bit of pine-apple/citrus and the tiny bit of sugary sweet essence.

DOOM Golden Treacle Pale from Elysian Brewing Company