Locke Mountain Lager | Marzoni's Brick Oven & Brewing Company

Locke Mountain LagerLocke Mountain Lager

Marzoni's Brick Oven & Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States

Style: Light Lager

Our lightest offering, we brew this beer with 100% Pilsner malt to create a refreshing, highly drinkable golden beer.

Added by Buggies on 06-26-2010

Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 7
3.74/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A press junket took me up to their Selinsgrove location where a mixed-six was conferred on each attendee as part of the outing. I know that The Bros. Alstrom like transparency in such matters & I have nothing to hide. I have known brewer Bill Kroft for years & Bill knows that I am equitable in my reviews.

Man, I wish that they would make the leap to CANs! Marzoni's fills what could be a gaping void in south-central PA & the fact that they have begun bottling is a step in the right direction, but there are so many outdoors activities out that way that CANs would be a natural fit.

If it must be a bottle, at least let it be a standard bevel with a crown cap that Pop!s when I open it. It was, but I still went with a gentle pour. A vigorous in-glass swirl raised two fingers of foamy, bone-white head with decent retention. Color was the Straw-Yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4) with NE-quality clarity & presence of fizzy carbonation that Greg Koch of Stone used to rail about. To me, it looked like what beer always looked like when I was a kid. I find nothing wrong with that. Nose smelled faintly sweet, slightly biscuity, but best of all, it did NOT smell like corn or silage, which is/was the downfall of so many Light Lagers. especially in CANs. Mouthfeel was thin, but very effervescent on the tongue. The taste was actually quite sweet, moreso than I usually experience in the style. It was clearly malt-driven, but it also left me curious as to what hops were employed in its production. I did not perceive much, if anything, in the way of bitterness, which might make it a great offering for the people who still cleave to mass-produced Light Lagers as their beer of choice. The finish was semi-sweet, so either the yeast had really done a good job or there were just enough hops added to keep it from being outright sweet. One would probably be enough for me, but this seemed really well-made.

2.16/5  rDev -26.3%

Served on tap in a sample glass.

Appearance: Yellow with a thin white head.

Smell: Light hops and grassy notes.

Mouthfeel/ Taste: Smooth light bodied. Taste was light with hints of corn like sweetness, light bitter aftertaste.

Overall: Average light lager. Nothing special.

2.83/5  rDev -3.4%

As the name implies... this one is a very light lager. It pretty much is just that, and is comparable to most mass produced light lagers out there. Not a lot in the way of flavor or aroma, but it serves a purpose for washing down pub food without being too filling.

Locke Mountain Lager from Marzoni's Brick Oven & Brewing Company